close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Airsoft vs. Cats

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Pima Pants, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

My backyard abuts a golf course’s 6th tee. I have a 6ft tall wrought iron fence separating my property from the golf course. I have a patio area that also has a shorter wrought iron fence separating it from my swimming pool and the rest of the backyard. I’ve got 4 dogs that can access the patio area. Unfortunately I also have a problem with numerous cats in the neighborhood that wander into my backyard and drive the dogs crazy. I’ve let the dogs out to chase them but the cats always get away.

What about an airsoft rifle on full auto? Would I be able to drive off the cats without killing them? The maximum range would be about 60-70 feet. I can’t and don’t want to use a pellet gun because I don’t want to hurt the critters and the golfers on the tee can see me. I’ve seen those shorty AK-47’s and M-16’s that run on batteries and fire the airsoft pellets on full auto. I have also seen some much more expensive full-scale metal airsoft guns but I don’t want to go that route mainly because of their appearance and the golfers who would soon be on the phone to the police. I’m talking about those short little guns that are less than about $30.00 everywhere. Would one of these be effective for the 60 ft or so I need? Would they be accurate enough to bother the cats? Are they very loud? The worst I want to do is to ‘bonk’ them on the head and annoy them enough to get out of my backyard without having to let the dogs loose each time. I have a Walther P-22 with a legal suppressor but that’s out of the question for this urban environment.

Your opinions? Thanks in advance.

2. Ragnar

Ragnar

Are these wild cats? Or do they have owners?

If the former, and you feel all oookey about shooting the damn things, call the local animal control types. They will either come get them or you can maybe get some traps from them.

If the latter, contact the owners and remind them about leash laws (if your state has them for cats). Then when the owners don't do anything about it, you can call the animal control guys and have them taken care of.

As for the airsoft, given your lack of intestinal fortitude on shooting the damn things, I would suggest a big squirt gun filled with cat repellent. Just as effective as an airsoft and you won't have to worry about the nasty golfers seeing you with - gasp! - a gun.

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Airsoft guns shoot hard enough to take out an eye.

How about one of those motion detector sprinkler heads?

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Airsoft at 60 feet would almost certainly injure a cat. You would break skin, which would probably become infected and possibly abscess, leaving a painful permanent wound and possibly killing the animal if it doesn't receive veterinary treatment. If they are really a probably try talking with a local cat rescue about trap/relocation programs.

5. bchandler

bchandler

First, do you have food or water on the porch at any time for the dogs, or do you feed them treats out there? Even if you remove it the cats may still be able to smell it and may be seeking it, so try feeding your dogs in the garage if you don't want the food in the house. Also, you don't keep trash cans out back, do you?

Secondly, please don't shoot cats even with an airsoft. You may take out an eye, and no animal deserves that for simply being curious. Why not just use a cheap airhorn instead? It will be just as effective, cheaper, and leave no plastic pellets in your lawn. After a few times they will get the idea, as long as you've removed food from the area. A super soaker is also a good idea.

6. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Live traps.
    Animal control.
    Drown them if you have the guts.
    But no shooting and cripple them.

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Try a lawn sprinkler. I'm pretty sure shooting at any animal will be frowned upon.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

uh...

IGF

9. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

I lack intestinal fortitude because I don't want to be arrested and go to jail?
    What are you, nuts? Let me clarify: I asked for opinions on whether or not the airsoft would be effective, not your opinion on the size of my balls.

10. gh0st614

gh0st614

Get a gas powered airsoft gun...I didnt think the battery powered ones were very strong.

I dont think you would injure a cat bad with a airsoft pellet.

11. RenoF250

RenoF250

You think drowning is better than Airsoft??

Airsoft won't hurt them they just sting a bit, I have been hit by them and it is no big deal. I shot my cat at ~10' with one because he was meowing by the window. I think a squirt gun would be better for cats though.

12. PBCounty

PBCounty

See you just never know. Since Eric frowns upon those types of questions being asked directly, I myself automatically assume that any and all questions are veiled solicitations of others' opinions on testicular size and general appearence. I can see how he made that error.

13. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

:rofl::rofl: I am a huge animal lover and would never condone inhumane treatment of (even pesky) critters like wild cats. WITH THAT SAID, the above quote is hysteria! I think airsoft is an absolutely acceptable way to get rid of pesky critters. It will probably sting, it will almost definitely LIVE without ANY "permanent wounds" <-:upeyes: and eventually stop going to your yard.

A few stings from the airsoft is a hell of a lot more humane than traps and the process they would go through if animal control got involved and impounded them. What a joke this "progressive" state of affairs we're in really is. Overzealous empathy can (and does, as demonstrated here) detrimentally affect common sense logic. This is of course for most/all things but it really seems amplified when animals are involved.

What *I* would worry about with the airsoft is getting a "man with a gun call" or someone calling animal control on YOU.

14. rd21

rd21 Rationalist

I can promise you this will have the golfers calling the cops faster than any kind of firearm.

15. ctaggart

ctaggart

I'd probably just get a box trap and bait it with cat food. Cover most of it with a blanket with a blanket to give them a sense of security so they'll go in a little easier. Once you have them trapped, it's up to you what to do with them. I would probably just place the box trap in a rain barrel for a few minutes.

16. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

Cats hate airsoft guns. It wont hurt them, unless you hit them in the eye. But the cats usually book it before the first bb gets to them so make sure you lead them.

17. Mnukedude

Mnukedude Lurking

Are you asking about one of these?

[​IMG]

If so, maximum range is actually about ten yards. Beyond that you'll be raining the pellets down more than firing on the cats. Within that range it sould work fairly well. It makes some noise, but it's hardly deafening, and doesn't sound like a firearm.

18. BEER

BEER bad example

it sounds like you're over-complicating the solution. don't you own a water hose?

19. podwich

podwich

Hopefully you wouldn't do that to a cat that had an owner.

20. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Some people hate animals.
    Just call animal control.