Glock 19 Airsoft Trainer

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JustinLI, Feb 17, 2020.

1. JustinLI

JustinLI

Hey all. I'm looking for an airsoft Glock 19 to use indoors as a trainer, so I'd like it to be as close as possible to the real thing. Ideally it would have both a metal slide and blowback that mimics recoil. Any other advice on what to get and what not to get would also be very helpful. (Assume I know nothing about the airsoft world, which is pretty much the case.) Thank you!

2. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

3. ken grant

ken grant

KSC Glock

SARDG and Sharkey like this.
  4. DrewBone

DrewBone

If you train with an Airsoft Glock 19 you'll become proficient with an Airsoft Glock 19.

If you train with an actual Glock 19 you'll become proficient with an actual Glock 19.

Spend your time wisely.

Jringo8769 and ScottR65 like this.
  5. Sharkey

Sharkey

So you are saying there is no benefit to airsoft training? I guess I am getting older because I get irritated when someone asks a Q and someone comes along and gives am answer that really is not an answer. Now if it was funny and sarcastic, I would laugh but it ain't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

6. DrewBone

DrewBone

To answer your first question yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

There's no need to get irritated, and there was nothing humorous about my reply, which was indeed an answer; spend your time wisely training with what you plan on defending yourself with, not toys. If you can't see the logic in this then maybe you should consider these other examples:

Do bowlers train with a soccer ball and Coke bottles set up on their front lawn?

Do golfers train with a nerf golfball?

Do baseball players train with a wiffle ball set?

Do long jumpers train by playing hop scotch?

Do long range precision shooters train with a Beretta .25acp mousegun?

I hadn't planned on getting into this discussion but in a nutshell an Airsoft device simply cannot replicate the recoil impulse, audible report, brass ejection, smoke and smell that's generated by a centerfire pistol when it's fired, which is what you need to get yourself accustomed to so you can use this learned familiarity to allow yourself the ability to make successive and accurate shots without any forethought, should the need ever arise in a self defense scenario.

An Airsoft device offers nothing other than the replication of a known firearm shape. And with the cost of 9mm ammo rediculously low, why not spend your $$ and efforts training with what you actually plan on using to defend yourself with, instead of a toy?

ScottR65 and Paul53 like this.
  7. Toocool45

Toocool45

I bought a (bb)/ pellet gun at cabellas. I thought it would be just like a glock 19. The trigger is all wrong. It would ruin the years of muscle memory ive learned shooting the small frame glock sized ie 26,19,17 sized guns. So i sold it. I got a discounted price because of rewards so i didnt take too big of a hit.

8. Greenbean

Greenbean

9. ScottR65

ScottR65

10. Sharkey

Sharkey

Well I am just going to say you are wrong and your examples are terrible comparisons. So with your reply, I am going to make an educated guess you have never done any Force on Force training. I guess that is worthless because you actually don't get shot with 9mm? I mean throw tactics out of the equation because hey, you can shoot real ammo in a real gun on the square range. Why consider movement or the use of cover with an actual thinking opponent? Why run thru ways to clear a structure, egress from an auto with an armed adversary, or to more safely work partner drills? There is no need for any of that as long as marksmanship with a real gun and real ammo is obtained.

hivel9mm likes this.
  11. The Father

The Father

If you are 12 years old, I say go for it.

12. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I use blowback pellet pistols (no pellets) with laser inserts for the barrel in a classroom environment, shooting at targets with LASR system overlay. Blowback pellet guns beat Blue guns for analyzing stance, grip, and trigger control every day!

-JCN- likes this.
  13. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper New job, same me.

Dry fire has no recoil.
    Sight picture is a sight picture.
    A practice gun that weighs the same as your real gun might replicate the feel in your hand.
    No recommendation for an air soft but I understand the interest in it as a training aid.

jsirles, -JCN-, Sharkey and 2 others like this.
  14. thewitt

thewitt

I use a KSC Glock 19 copy that is very close in weight and trigger pull to my EDC.

Why? Because I can shoot it every day in my house, from any concealed position, and work on the mechanics.

Is it the same as shooting live ammo at a human target? Of course not.

Those who say don't do it because you will become an expert with an Airsoft but not a real Glock must also practice against real humans, because you would not want to become an expert on paper targets and not be able to shoot at a person when the time comes...

-JCN- and Sharkey like this.
  15. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I do not believe he's wrong on most accounts, but saying there's no benefit...I, too, disagree. The only 2 benefits I see with an air soft replica (I've done this and still do from time to time) is watching how the sights move when you squeeze the trigger. My replica has a trigger that can be continuously pulled/squeezed/yanked without racking the slide. You can watch what your sights do on a target when you pull trigger slow or pull as fast as you can. It can give you an idea of what the minimum you can expect when you live fire. The only other benefit is conditioning of your flexors and extensors of what's needed to pull/squeeze/yank the trigger. Other than those two minor things, there's nothing else a replica is going to help you with. YtoygunversesrealgunMMV

16. Sharkey

Sharkey

Harold63, you make 2 good points. I really think you should try some FonF training. My disagreement is airsoft is really not a toy. Sure you can treat them as such but I wouldn't want a 10yr old playing with one. What harm could come with a plastic pellet traveling at 400fps?

I am not dissing marksmanship or being able to run the gun on a square range, I just know there is also a lot of training that can be done off the square range without a real loaded gun in preparation for a gunfight.

-JCN- likes this.
  17. Taz

Taz

Like dry fire, Airsoft or other replicas have a place in the training tool kit. Are they a direct replacement for actual training, nope. Will they be fit you, damned right. Airsoft can add a layer of fun to training. Plinking around you home, playing force on force with your wife... all add to the training regimen. Plus they are cheap. Officially licensed Glock Airsoft can be had for like $150 on Amazon. Not sure if they fit regular 19 holsters though. I have a CO2 Airsoft that is thicker in the slide and only fits one of my holsters.

They are great for training from the holster cause you only risk shooting you self with a plastic pellet if your fingers get ahead of you brain.

However, they are no substitute for recoil management and understanding your real guns POA/POI idiosyncrasies. Hence the term SUPPLEMENT to live fire training.

18. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Question Drew, do you train (shoot often) with your carry gun......or something else?:drool:

19. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Sight picture, stance, hold, draw, practice is practice.
    Even the Military uses sub munitions so I don’t see why not.

20. DrewBone

DrewBone

Well 'Rock, I sorta' answered that very question in the link below, and will agree that these days I pretty much shoot my mouth off more than anything else, if that's what you're alluding to with that snippety remark, heehee :D:

Go to post #15, directly below your response...