Airsoft - Too Real Looking

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Khufu, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

This weekend my teenage kid came home with an airsoft M4.

They actually look very real from more than 10 feet away.

She asked if I had an extra rifle case for her to put the rifle in. She wants one like her friends that are actual tactical rifle cases.

But THAT spooked me. So I did a search. I was thinking a blaze orange rifle bag. But they are really not available (there are some shotgun ones). The reason why I want blaze orange is because then it is obvious that is "different" than actual rifle cases.

Am I just being silly and over cautious that I want stuff segregated and easily identifiable between real and not real? Maybe this is too long at work where different grades of tools, materials, etc are kept completely apart so there is no inadvertent mix-up. Yes. I know. Check. Double check. Etc. But one of the ways to help prevent any mix up is physical separation of items and clear marking of status.

But one thing that I told her because the damn thing looks so real from any distance (other than the orange flash hider) is no taking it out anywhere but the game places. I am surprised how real looking they are and think to myself they could easily be confused with a real gun.

cbetts1 likes this.
  2. -JCN-

-JCN-

I use airsoft exactly for the training purpose.

Gauss Rifle, pgg00 and xTerpx like this.

3. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Paint the last 2 inches of the barrel bright orange.

pgg00 likes this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Don't be pointing that thing at anyone, they can't tell the diff, Green Light for a self defense shoot.

Rotn1 and Mugsie1 like this.
  5. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

So you are making a statement that is common sense. Today in 2020 few people have much common sense. As my Fireman - Paramedic butty says he has job security because, people do stupid things daily.

6. thewitt

thewitt

I have a Glock 19 Airsoft that even weighs the same as my G19 with a 10 round mag in it...

-JCN- likes this.
  7. John_AZ

John_AZ

Get a black case with a flat side to it and stencil in bright orange in the side of it “Airsoft” or something similar if it makes you feel a bit better. I’m assuming it has an adjustable stock, you could always paint the end of the stock orange too as well as the “flash surpressor”

orangejeep06, pgg00 and -JCN- like this.
  8. Pat Harmon

Pat Harmon

I just recently ordered a Glock 18C full automatic Airsoft gun for the heck of it..My grandkids and I will sure have fun with it..

B C and -JCN- like this.
  9. DannyB

DannyB

What to do and not do with the "toy" needs way more attention that what you haul it around in. Those things were perfect replicas fourteen years ago when my son and all of his friends played with them. I could have bought at least one real gun for what I spent on two airisoft guns. I saw some people spend as much on them as real guns---at gun shows.

He had one rifle that he slaughtered blackbirds with. He and a buddy would sit in the living room with a window cracked. They would have a paper plate in the back yard with cat food on it for bait. They stacked up the blackbirds.

Make the kids understand eye protection.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  10. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Depends on the responsibility factor.

Years ago, we were at the park. Blanket, the kids were little. Playing ball.

My wife says, uh, those teens are running around with a gun.

Airsoft, I said.

You sure?

Pretty sure. Yeah.

Well, the police officer who stopped wasn't so sure. He exited his vehicle, drew his gun from it's holster, but kept it by his side, but never pointed, then reholstered it, and approached with caution. He commanded they drop it, which they quickly obeyed.

There was a long, stern talking to and a confiscation.

Could have been worse.

Now, on the other hand, when I was a kid, we used to get dressed up in army surplus and run around with the most realistic toy guns we could find. And nobody ever gave it a second thought.

But a moment of caution is probably appropriate nowadays.

syntaxerrorsix and -JCN- like this.
  11. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I think part of the difference is people are jumpy today when they see "a kid with a rifle" even if airsoft.

12. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Oh... good idea.. I can use my bedazzling skills now. :)

13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I dont remember toy guns looking like real guns when I was a kid.

speaking of which.. WTF even happened to cap guns in the store?

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

1950s even had pretty real looking cap guns.

FullClip and larry_minn like this.
  15. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

This was before the orange tip.

Die cast, 'nickel' coated pistols. 'Blued' rifles with wooden stocks.

We used to get hollowed out grenades from the army surplus. Drilled bullets. Think I still have one.

*Edit*

Yep. Still got em. Probably from 35 years ago:

20200928_213126.jpg

Sorry. Trippin' down memory lane

pgg00 likes this.
  16. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Most frightening (for me) call I ever went on was an early morning shots fired call. Short version: kid was out early with his Daisy Buffalo Bill lever action BB gun. Looked exactly like a Winchester from twenty yards, which is the distance I was when he pointed it in another officer’s direction. A 15 year old came within about 1 lb of trigger pressure of losing his life because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time doing something stupid. The actual shots had come from poachers a short distance away. So yes, do everything you can to make it easy to recognize as NOT an actual firearm.

MaxB, Rotn1, Tuner Sandwich and 2 others like this.
  17. Rotn1

Rotn1

Years ago...... I purchased a couple of Tokyo Maru air soft pistols which were replica's of a Beretta 92 and a Sig 226. Indoor / basement draw to first shot practice. Ran on green gas. These things are indistinguishable from the real things......... Even the cheap plastic spring driven guns would fool you beyond 5 yards when there is only a split second. Glad nothing happened.

My best friend and neighbor in Montreal was rotated as an undercover officer. One day in a questionable neighborhood a young man popped up from behind a vehicle and pointed a weapon at him. He drew and fired but luckily missed. It was a mentally retarded young man with an air soft gun. Very bad situation.

18. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I picked this up in Thailand. It shoots little round plastic pellets. Clip fed, rack the slide for each shot. The purist will point to the decocker and laugh but they don’t get any more real looking than this.

0927B05F-9473-46F8-92DE-6387B2162FA1.jpeg

9CC8324E-26A8-4F38-8E87-3C59F6A80565.jpeg

19. RenoF250

RenoF250

That is plenty real looking but they do get a lot better than that. My 1911 airsoft looks exactly like a 1911 to the untrained eye and some of the parts are probably interchangeable with a 1911.

sombunya likes this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I went into a business. The owner asked me to look at something he traded for. It was a 1911 type.
    I rack slide and loaded rd shows, fails to eject. I start in. “You should NEVER hand a loaded gun to anyone, at least tell them first, what if I didn’t check..”. Part way thru I stop. Look closer.
    It was non functional. The loaded rd wasn’t removable, barrel was plugged.... it fooled me IN MY HANDS for 30 seconds.