Airsoft can be converted into machine guns. ATF says so.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by armorplated, Mar 13, 2010.

1. armorplated

armorplated

If this has been posted before, I'm sure it'll be locked. But it's the first time I've seen it. I never fully appreciated the depth of ignorance and recklessness of the ATF.

The agent in charge insists airsoft guns can very easily be made into military grade machine guns without much effort. And watch the "expert" try to insert the magazine backwards at 1:17.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rEuTwYALho&feature=player_embedded

2. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Converted into deadly machine guns...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should only be words on a outdoorsman store's window or display sign.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

In this instance, you are wrong.

1. Yes, it was discussed here.

2. Yes, the guns CAN be converted to full auto.

'Drew

4. armorplated

armorplated

I'm calling BS. I definitely want to see your verification and documentation. You're saying that an airsoft receiver can handle the pressures of modern ammunition? Again, BS!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. dougader

dougader

Are full auto BB guns illegal? AFAIK, they have been around for decades and this is the first I've heard that it was illegal.

This is the local news for Portland, OR. Hillsboro is just over the hill. Jeff Gianola is a tool as are most news readers, but Kelley Day is a hot tool. ;)

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

As someone who has them, and real guns, I'm also calling BS. I'm VERY curious...remember, they said "with little modification." It would be MUCH easier to just convert a real gun.

-Cody

7. Puppy

Puppy

No airsoft replica that I've ever seen, handled or fired (and I've seen, handled & fired a bunch of them) could be modified to fire live ammunition & even if there are some in existence that could be modified to fit a real steel upper on them I still doubt they could fire live ammunition without serious risk to the operator.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1189845

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

If you have a full auto sear for a M16 in your house, and a AR15 locked away in your safe, by (ATF/legal) definition, you have a "full auto" gun.

It doesn't matter if the gun can fire zero rounds, or 10,000.

'Drew

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

What pressure? 99 44/100ths of it is in the upper; the chamber and the locking lugs of the bolt.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Legal pressure, silly :tongueout:.

'Drew

12. armorplated

armorplated

No, I mean verification. All you're doing is referencing a GT thread (not the most reliable of sources of knowledge) for conjecture, hypothesizing and theorizing.

I want to see an airsoft gun converted into a full auto that fires SAAMI spec'd ammo.

It can't be done. You say it can. Prove it.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Sure. My "credibility" on an online forum means so much to me that I'm going to get off my *** to make you happy.

Good luck with that one bud.

'Drew

14. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I was as skeptical as you until I actually did more research into the incident. The key facts are these:

-All the pressure involved in firing a round is born by the upper receiver, the lower receiver just has to be strong enough to handle the bolt cycling and airsoft receivers are.
    -One could mount any AR15 upper to an airsoft lower and create working firearm, provide the lower had the pins in the right places (as these are).
    -ATF considers only the LOWER to be a firearm as that is the part with the serial number.
    -The airsoft gun in question has the all important "extra" hole for the full auto sear.

According to ATF only the LAST point is needed, a lower receiver with an extra hole in the right place is a "full auto" firearm under their definition. The extra parts needed to complete the gun are not serialized, therefore they can be purchased anywhere by anyone at anytime. So basically what they have is a crate full of unmarked, untraceable lower receivers which could, at any point, be matted to real AR15 uppers and have a full auto FCG dropped in to create a fully working, select fire AR.

15. Puppy

Puppy

I agree, I don't think it can be done either & I am positive that the BATF did not successfully convert one prior too or even after confiscating those "toy" rifles from their lawful owner(s) either, I'm betting that they just looked at those replica firearms & got their panties all in a wad because the replica's "looked" to realistic.

16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  17. Puppy

Puppy

Nope what they have is a crate full of TOY firearm replica's, that "look" realistic but are not.

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

And yet ATF hasn't done anything about this:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

or a buttload of similar AirSoft that are so realistic that I'd get a paid vacation if I shot someone pointing one.

For your bet to be a smart one, you need to explain why this single maker's single shipment was singled (baboomcha) out. The possibility that this guy just got too close to the functional line can't be dismissed that easily.

19. dougader

dougader

The auto sear itself has to be serialized and registered. So without the auto sear you don't have a working machine gun. You do, however, have unserialzed lower receivers....

20. Puppy

Puppy

According to the article the shipment was singled out because the manufacturer failed to put orange tips on them prior to shipping them.