Air Show?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by R. Emmelman, Aug 21, 2007.

1. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Anyone going? I will be working there on Saturday.

2. Scutter01

Scutter01

I was there last year, and except for the weather preventing the Thunderbirds' show, it was terrific. I never thought I'd see the day when I would actually get to see a P-38 Lightning fly, much less in an honor flight with P-51's, A-10's and so on. Still trying to work out if I can make this year's show.

3. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Where is it..?? and when???

4. indianaboy

indianaboy Guest

Click the Link - Just East of Indy

http://www.indyairshow.com/

5. epsylum

epsylum Guest

I saw the Blue Angels there last year and they are amazing. The other aerobatic acts were great, but the Blue Angels make them all looke like amatuers. I will be working at the gun show so I will have to miss it this time around.

BTW part of their act is the fly by at near supersonic at low level. The noise is awesome and you can see the air compressing around the aircraft as it zings by. They also have a C-130 (IIRC that is what it is) take off nearly vertical with the help of JATO rockets. Quite impressive.

6. Scutter01

Scutter01

?? I thought last year was the Thunderbirds (as mentioned in my previous post)? Or maybe it was two years ago.

Either way, I agree. Blue Angels FTW!

Side story:

Wife and I got married in a church a few miles south of an AFB on the day of an air show in which the Blue Angels were performing. The church was in line with the flightline and so the jets were performing over the church during the wedding ceremony. The sound of the massive GE F404 turbofan engines in between vows was...memorable. I still tell people I got the Blue Angels to perform for my wedding. :supergrin:

Didnt get to see them. I was too busy getting married. :thumbsup:

7. mpholic

mpholic

I'm planning on it.

Do they have Harriers?

While in the Marines my family and I attended a number of Air Shows while stationed at MCAS Cherry Point. They were free for military and dependents.

While the Blue Angels are fun to watch I was equally impressed with the Harrier acrobatics.

8. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

They had Harriers a couple years back. Stop by and see me. I will at one of the radio control points, keeping the CAP guys out of trouble :) I will either be wearing an OD ball cap or my shiney shaved head. :rofl:

9. epsylum

epsylum Guest

I guess it was two years ago. Man time flies. ;)

10. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I live in Greenfield, and do usually go. The thing that amazes me (and makes me happy to see) is the Thunderbirds/Blue Angels, even on the days I am not actually at the show. Their paths take them over my area several times (they are almost ten miles from the airport and well out of the crowds view). They STILL look like they are having fun, doing gentle rolls and mini-stunts. I realize they are part of a finely tuned act where seconds count and timing is critical, but it is fun to watch the ones shaving off a few minutes until they have to get back just tossing their jet around (presumably so folks not at the air show get a little something to awe them, too!).

And the jet assisted take-off... YIKES! I thought my dog was going to climb the wall and hide in a chandelier! Very noisy, and very awesome!

11. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

isn't that a misnomer? I mean, they're more like ROCKETS, right?

12. Scutter01

Scutter01

I don't think they do this at all their shows, but I remember one show where the four diamond jets did a slow, leisurely pass, along with one of the solos. The other solo was off somewhere doing his thing for so long that people forgot about him. The five complete their pass, getting all spectators to concentrate on them. While everyone is watching them go off to the right, the "missing" solo sneaks up on the crowd from the left and lights his afterburners right over the flightline, scaring the bejesus out of the crowd. You know he's laughing in his head at the thought of several thousand people suddenly jumping out of their skin at the noise. It was brilliant. :supergrin:

13. Scutter01

Scutter01

From Wikipedia:

14. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

I'm not getting anything.. is the website down?

:shocked:

EDIT: Disregard.. I think your link has an extra "http", at least when I click it..

15. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

They do that A LOT. So much so that as I watched them practice at Pensacola NAS, I was intentionally looking behind my head/stands at this exact formation. I was amazed at how close you get to their practice(s) for free at PNAS. You could throw a baseball and hit one of them. I have an excellent frame from a movie where you can see the cloud form around the jet at near-Mach speed, right in front of me.

16. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

They do the near sonic speed sneak attack at Mount Comfort, too! The first time I about jumped out of my skin. I expect it now.

Given that they are subsonic in the U.S. airshows, it makes one tremble in awe when you consider those fighting machines on a battlefield. I almost pity the Iraqi soldier who had the same response we did in the crowd when one is upon you. My show didn't have the additional "BANG" at the end theirs did!

17. sjstill

sjstill Guest

Blue Angels just flew over the house.

I have wood.....:banana: :banana:

That is all :rofl:

18. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Their air show flight plan takes the over my house. :hearts:

19. mpholic

mpholic

There is a real nice museum on the base in Pensacola too. My son goes to college in Pensacola so we've visited the museum a couple of times. Definitely worth the time.

20. Pop Gunner

Pop Gunner

While making my daily deliveries today in the McCordsville,Fortville area I seen a couple Blue Angels making the inverted upside run and loop the loop run with the smoke trail to follow.Awesome!
    In the Hancock cnty area you can hear the roar of the jet engines all afternoon long.
    I took a video from my route from last year when the Thunderbirds were making their practice runs that was awesome also,I got video of them flying right overhead.