close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Air Races!?!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CumminsPilot, Sep 15, 2004.

1. CumminsPilot

CumminsPilot

Anybody else going? My boss qualified today at 232 mph. He's in third right now, which is the exact place he started last year to win the whole thing. Two ahead of him are his main rival (a woman) at 235 mph and another fella at 237. He ended up smoking them both last year though, and today he told me he's still got some tricks up the ol' sleeve.
    T-6 Gold Class, Nick Macy in Six-Cat (the most beautiful black T-6 you've ever seen).

[​IMG]

I head out Friday, will be in the pits all day Saturday and Sunday. If you're gonna be there, stop on by.

Josh

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Josh, that's cool.

Beautiful airplane.

Wish I could make it.

Good luck to Nick Macy and everyone racing.:)

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Well our local boy is flying Kitchen Pass. I saw Kitchen Pass a couple weeks ago and she's looking pretty fast.

We're going on Fri. to see the races.

4. cliffb

cliffb

I'll be going tomorrow and Sunday. Looks like the weather is going to be crummy on Sunday so I may rethink that and go Saturday instead.

5. CumminsPilot

CumminsPilot

Yep, looks like crappy weather for the races...oh well, worse things have happened, like

NEMESIS CRASHING AND NOT BEING ABLE TO RACE!!!! So angry! I am currently designing w/ a group (my senior design project) a sport-class air racer that would theoretically run w/ Nemesis, but now we won't even know what she can do! Gear collapsed yesterday on landing :(

See the story at www.avweb.com

6. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Got to meet the Grand Marshal today. Gene Cernan was in my store this afternoon. ;a

7. CumminsPilot

CumminsPilot

Well, it was kinda a crappy weekend, for our race team at least. Found out why we only qualified at 232, and it was their own fault...why mess with stuff on the important day?!?! Anyway, we'll be back next year, I'm sure.

On another note, me being a studying Aerospace Engineer, I got to meet a lot of people in the biz this weekend and talk a lot of aero with some really important folks...who you ask? Why, only the head engineer for Lancair kit aircraft! What did we talk about you ask? Why, only the fact that I'll be going to work for them come May of next year after I graduate! ;a ;f ;a ;f

I don't really know how it happened so fast, I talked to him for a grand total of 35 minutes (20 of that being an informal interview in the front seat of his car, behind the Lancair tent) and he wants me to come up there over Thanksgiving and visit the place, then come back over x-mas and work for a week or so, then again at spring break, then start work 1 week after I graduate in May! He wanted to give me a month, but I'm not that kinda person...I'd go to work the next day if he'd let me!

This is the job I've wanted since I started college! I guess I'll find out what it means to love what you do for a living.

Just had to brag a little.

Josh

8. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

WOW! Congratulations. That's awesome. Lancair is definately on the cutting edge of the new GA market.

9. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Wulf...that's true but he was talking about the kit side of the business which has been split off of the GA certified side.

So what kind of discounts did you arrange for the Flight Deck group on GT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;b

10. CumminsPilot

CumminsPilot

The kit side (a totally seperate entity, owned by Joseph Bartels now, no longer Lance) is also on the forefront of GA. Just cause they're not certified doesn't mean they aren't some of the best planes made. The avionics put into the kits are equal to, if not better than those put into the certified airplanes. They had a new panel on display at Reno for the jet-prop they are currently building at the factory, and it had a GNS530, autopilot (not the one going to be used however), mode-s xpdr, and dual Chelton EFIS displays. Those two Chelton displays are $$$$ by themselves, not including everything else they had on it (digital/analog gauges, etc). The price of a IV-P jet-prop is also nearly half that of a Columbia 400, and it'll cruise over 100kts faster...

I called my former roommate last night to tell him about my deal, and him being a person who doesn't have to worry about money, he told me that he'd pay for me to build him a plane at cost, and no, he wasn't joking.

Look for something new from Lancair next spring...it's gonna be sweet! :cool:

11. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Absolutely great stuff. Sorry if you read my clarification as some kind of slight...it was not. The revitalization of GA has come pretty directly from the kit folks and Sport planes will also be coming from there.

Now about the discounts!! (you forgot that part of my post):)

12. CumminsPilot

CumminsPilot

who said I forgot it? ;f ;a

I'm currently designing a sport-class air racer for my senior design project with a group of 6 other AE students here at school. We have what is considered to be one of the best aircraft design courses as we have both a prelim design as well as detail design, and most others only get one term/semester of it. I learned a lot about the sport-class at reno, like how much HP they actually run. Greenemeyer's Legacy is something else! That thunder mustang ain't bad either, but unfortunately for them, I think Nemesis is gonna smoke everyone next year (and there will be 3 Nemesis NXT's racing at Reno next year...two others teams have the kits already). I think it's one of the best races out there, along w/ the T-6 class of course :cool:

13. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I read somewhere about a biplane that posted speeds faster than the T6's. Whats up with that?:)

14. CumminsPilot

CumminsPilot

Probably. I didn't pay any attention to the bipes or the F1 races...just not my thing.

On Saturday we had our fastest race ever with all three top planes over 240 mph, with Six-Cat going 243 on one lap (wish we'd had that time during qualifying!). I think avg for that race was 238 for us and Two-of-Hearts and Warlock went 239