Air purifier

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DoubleWide, Jan 7, 2010.

1. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I'm looking at an air purifier because I think I'm allergic to my pets. All review sites look like they're promoting their own products. I was about to try Consumer Reports, but people complained that the review was 3 years old and most models didn't even exist anymore. I was hoping to get your help.

From what I understand, pet dander gets down to less than 1 micron. A lot of HEPA filters only down to 3 micron. Some say get an ionizer to clump the dander together, but others say ozone is bad, etc., etc.

Pets = allergies, what to buy? Budget less than $500. Prefer a lot less, but don't want to waste money on a lower model that won't help.

Getting rid of pets is not an option.

2. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

3. Dannimo

Dannimo

This is what I have in my house (2 dogs and a cat) and it solved the problem you are describing. Go to freshaireuv.com and get Blue Tube with the OS. It works. I could get real technical with you about why and how it works, but frankly I don't have the energy. Call them, and they will have to refer you a hvac guy in your area to install it. Well worth the money.

4. G19Pistolero

G19Pistolero

5. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

6. Dannimo

Dannimo

Unless the filter has a real nice rubber gasket, the pet dander and stuff will face - load on the filter. When the air is on, it sucks it against the surface. When the air is off, a lot of it falls down and off the filter. Then when the air gets kicked on again the crap goes around or under the filter.

a UV lamp at the coil is much better than a fancy filter. Allergens, molds, viruses grow at the coil and drain pan because it is a cool, wet, dark environment- perfect for the little bugs. Irradiate the coil, and you kill all the crap. All the filter does is catch the crap, and hold it. In the meantime it has been circulating around your house a lot before the cold air return ever takes it to the filter.

The best one I have found, and the one I have in my house is made by a company called Triatomic. Their website is: www.freshaireuv.com. I have the blue-tube with the odor sanitizing tip. That OS tip is what really works on the pet odors and even on cig. smoke and cooking odors. We have two dogs and one cat. The blue tube solved our problem.

I had 5 room ozone purifying machines, but when I found out they were kicking out 900 parts per million of ozone (fda safe level is 5 parts per million), I got rid of it. They did work well for a buddy whose house caught on fire. Got the fire / smoke smell out of his clothes- but that is another story.