Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Notorious
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be seeing this first hand when I go to India in November to check up on some business prospects over there, in the meantime, this is something amazing!

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/05/31/tata-motors-air-powered-car-green-portfolio-candidate/

Tata Motors Ltd. (NYSE:TTM), the Indian motor vehicle giant, is bringing to market a new car that could find a warm fuzzy home in the hearts of green drivers. The Air Car uses compressed air to drive its pistons. Refills are as simple as a stop at the compressor station, and cost a reported $2 for 340 liters of air at a pressure of 4,350 psi. The car also has a built-in compressor to recharge its tank from any electrical outlet in four hours.

Tata claims the car can reach speeds of 68 mph and travel up to 125 miles between charges. It was designed by MDI of Luxembourg, who hopes to license the design worldwide.

Tata's CityCAT model is expected to list for $12,700. The company hopes to have 6,000 cars on the streets by next year. Unfortunately, the design is too fragile to meet U.S. requirements, so don't expect to see one soon.
While this seems like a step forward, one has to question how the power used to compress the air is produced, and just how scalable such an energy source is. Nonetheless, it sounds like an idea well worth exploring. As the next presidential election cycle starts, perhaps the hot air produced could be put to some good use.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'll be seeing this first hand when I go to India in November to check up on some business prospects over there, in the meantime, this is something amazing!

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/05/31/tata-motors-air-powered-car-green-portfolio-candidate/

Tata Motors Ltd. (NYSE:TTM), the Indian motor vehicle giant, is bringing to market a new car that could find a warm fuzzy home in the hearts of green drivers. The Air Car uses compressed air to drive its pistons. Refills are as simple as a stop at the compressor station, and cost a reported $2 for 340 liters of air at a pressure of 4,350 psi. The car also has a built-in compressor to recharge its tank from any electrical outlet in four hours.

Tata claims the car can reach speeds of 68 mph and travel up to 125 miles between charges. It was designed by MDI of Luxembourg, who hopes to license the design worldwide.

Tata's CityCAT model is expected to list for $12,700. The company hopes to have 6,000 cars on the streets by next year. Unfortunately, the design is too fragile to meet U.S. requirements, so don't expect to see one soon.
While this seems like a step forward, one has to question how the power used to compress the air is produced, and just how scalable such an energy source is. Nonetheless, it sounds like an idea well worth exploring. As the next presidential election cycle starts, perhaps the hot air produced could be put to some good use.
India is truly progressive!! They bought Jaguar and Rover and they also have R&D - I think they will be giving China a run for their money!

·
Registered
610 Posts
they sure will, tata is now the producer of the world's least expensive automobile.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I do recall years ago in Popular Mechanics I think where there was a radio-controlled model plane powered by a little air engine, supplied by a CO2 Powerlet used for airguns.

And air is used to start jet engines and big ship diesels, the former by spinning a starter, and the latter by introducing air in the appropriate cylinder to turn the engine over. Never knew the day would come when air would be used to run engines, not merely start them.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts