close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Air Guard Advice? please help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by forjoshhall, Feb 5, 2010.

1. forjoshhall

forjoshhall

My current layoff got me thinking that maybe now is a good time to do something i have always been interested in. I am thinking of enlisting in the Air guard or possibly the coast guard. My problem is that i am a worrier. i am a bit scared of getting mislead by a recruiter or getting stuck in something i hate. I have worked for Union Pacific Railroad in Omaha, NE and am currently laid off but will absolutely be returning to work since that is my career. I am just asking you guys for some help or pointers or anything you can offer me. I am able to transfer to other states with the railroad, so that does affect my options. Thank you for your advice.

2. nnmnu1

nnmnu1

There is a ton of info online to do research this is a great site: http://usmilitary.about.com/
    Just go talk to a recruiter and see what he says.

3. Kith

Kith

Don't be worried about the recruiter steering you wrong, once you pass your medical and physical exams, you'll sit down with someone to hash out the details of your contract. When you do that, they'll give you a list of jobs available and you pick one - that's where you get locked in. The recruiter really has no control over your conversation with the person you sign the contract with.

If you don't score high enough on the asvab, then they pick your job for you. (for army, not sure about national guard - probably the same, if someone can clarify?)