Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines - The Philippine Air Force (PAF) on Wednesday said it will start acquiring fighter jets by 2011 to boost the country's air power for territorial defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

During the PAF’s 61st founding anniversary celebration held at the Benito Ebuan Airbase, Air Force chief Lieutenant General Pedrito Cadungog said the country had been lacking in fighter jets with the decommissioning of a fleet of the ageing F-5 three years ago.

Cadungog said it would cost the county at least P50 billion for the initial acquisition of the fighter jets.

“As a respected nation, we must have a projection of military power. Otherwise, who is going to respect us? No one will respect us... (Presently,) we have a very very limited capability in terms of external defense," Cadungog said.

The top Air Force official noted that with the decommissioning of its F-5 fleet in 2005, the Air Force had relied on its S211 aircrafts - which are actually designed as trainer planes - for the task of territorial defense.

Cadungog said that while there are no external threats to the country, a fleet of fighter jets is necessary to prevent possible violations of the country’s airspace, and protect the country's airspace as an economic resource.

“If we are not going to guard that (airspace), we cannot collect any fee (from aircraft using our airspace). They can violate our airspace until they want. Unfortunately, some do not understand this. They may be asking ‘who is our enemy?’. But we have an airspace to protect because that is also part of our economic resources. We should be billing aircraft passing (the country’s airspace)," Cadungog said.

Cadungog said the Air Force is presently in the process of making a study of what type of fighter jets they are going to acquire. He said the acquisition can only start after 2010 which is the projected defeat of internal security threats.

“(We will make the acquisition) after 2010. As a matter of fact, that is what we call the horizon 2. We're looking beyond the horizon, by 2011," said Cadungog on when the Air Force will begin acquiring fighter jets.

“As a matter of fact, we are very busy right now making all the researches what (fighter planes) is appropriate for us. Our staff, key staff officers, are there making evaluation on that...The process of acquisition takes a lot of time. We have to start now if we want to have supersonic jets by 2015. As early as now, we should start the process. We cant buy them over the counter," he added.

Already, the military is in the process of acquiring attack helicopters with night-flying capability which he said are crucial to the defeat of internal security threats. The procurement of such helicopters, however, suffered a setback early this year due to alleged bidding irregularities. - GMANews.TV
so kung meron mag violate ng airspace natin he will send out the fighter jets to collect fees?:dunno:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Can't they take a second look at the short list of fighter planes they had during the planned AFP Modernization Plan under Pres. Ramos? If I remember right, the short list included a) US F-16; b) Israeli Kfir; c) French Mirage 2000; d) Swedish Grippen.

Short-listed na eh, so konting additional evaluation na lang. Unless they want to start with a clean slate and are considering other cheaper planes.

·
Rei!
5,961 Posts
akala ko mag uupgrade ang airforce one:supergrin:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I wouldn't go for the F-16. The US is slowly getting rid of that airplane. Only a single engine fighter where most of the fighters now have two engines. Nothing you could do with a single engine plane when the engine malfunctions.

BTW, I saw five British Tornadoes depart Calgary who trained here for a week before getting deployed to Afghanistan(my workplace is in a flight path of airplanes). Beautiful fighters, and even one made a low pass (at low speed, of course). They had a support plane that accompanied them. It looked like a BAC 1-11, only with four rear engines.

·
Registered
350 Posts
@isuzu

At that time I was rooting for either the Mirage 2000 or the Grippen. Sa Grippen I like the fact that it is the youngest design among the four shortlisted jets. I heard that it needs a very minimal number of ground crew to prepare (arm, fuel, etc) it for flight.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I wouldn't go for the F-16. The US is slowly getting rid of that airplane. Only a single engine fighter where most of the fighters now have two engines. Nothing you could do with a single engine plane when the engine malfunctions.

BTW, I saw five British Tornadoes depart Calgary who trained here for a week before getting deployed to Afghanistan(my workplace is in a flight path of airplanes). Beautiful fighters, and even one made a low pass (at low speed, of course). They had a support plane that accompanied them. It looked like a BAC 1-11, only with four rear engines.
That's the Vickers VC-10. Tanker aircraft.

http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...nericsearch=Vickers VC-10&distinct_entry=true

As to the PAF fighters, I'll believe it when I see them.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we do not need an air superiority aircraft. but if suddenly they discover oil in our land and we become flush w/ cash and can afford things we dont need i'd go w/ the old f-15's. combat proven. they just need to be refurbished. they could be had cheaper also.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Grippen would be a good choice. Kung isang docena, ayos na.
Yeah, ayos na ayos! We'd have one of the youngest fighter fleets in ASEAN pag nagkataon. Babalik na uli ang pride ng Air Force natin. Would a dozen already constitute a squadron? Ilan ba? It would certainly be good start.

I just hope they do away with the old system wherein you have to be a Colonel (or thereabouts) to handle a fighter plane. Kasi pag ganun, medyo matanda na, mabagal na reflexes, hindi na agresibo sa labanan, retirement at pamilya na ang priority. Dapat ang front line fighter pilot, yung bata pa, yung mainit ang dugo, mapusok.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
We likely can't afford the JAS39 Gripen, or even the Alenia M346.
It'll probably be refurbed F-5's from either our Thai brothers, or the Swiss.

h.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
northrop upgraded the f-5 before. they called it the f-20 tigershark.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Yeah, and nobody bought the F20, because USAF orders for the F-16 pushed
the latter aircraft's unit cost way down to where the F-20 looked expensive.
I felt sorry for Northrop. 1980's pa lang (Discovery magazine), the story of
how that company was goaded by the US government to design a good
aircraft for 3rd party retail, and was then defeated at precisely such
commerce by a US government-supported F-16, gave me a bad feeling.

F-5E II's (ROKAF, etc), refurbed, might have as little as 6 years of life
left in 'em. Refurbed F-16's would be in about the same constraints.
We'll probably wind up with either, although I'd personaly prefer the b/new,
5th generation aircraft that is the Alenia Aermacchi M346.

US$15-22 Million apiece. Half the fuel consumption of rival Korean KAI T-50
but with comparable performance.

h.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks like a meaner s-211. if im not mistaken northrop went belly up after the f-20 didnt it?

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Indeed, the PAF is already quite familiar with Alenia's S-211 trainer,

Alenia had actually come out with a factory-militarized version called the M-311, some time back.

We already have a close history with the Italians, PAF-wise. Alenia's SF-260 primary trainers
are to be assembled locally by the Philippine company Aerotech Industries Inc., per a 2008 contract
signed between DND and Alenia

http://www.aermacchi.it/institution...2008/alenia-aermacchi-signs-usd-13-8-million-

The very new M-346 is state of the art, competitively priced, competitively capable, seems to offer
economical operation, and is furthermore built and sold by friends and business partners of long standing.
Twin engines make for better survivability: I case of one engine failure, the expensive aircraft makes it home.

I'm hoping against hope that we get at least a squadron of these planes, rather than the usual third-hand
or even fourth-hand refurbished aircraft, nearly half a century old.

:)
h.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Baka second hand galeng ng SIngaporean AF na naman.
Doesn't matter if they're second hand and PROPERLY-PRICED. The Singapore AF maintains its planes according to the book. Thailand even got a lot of used aircraft from the US. One example was the OV-10 which they used for at least 15 years before giving them to the Philippines. When I went to Thailand in the mid-90's, I saw a lot of DC-3s on the flight line. I asked an Air Force soldier who was stationed at the airport if the DC-3s are still flying, and he said they are still in active service.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Doesn't matter if they're second hand. The Singapore AF maintains its planes according to the book. Thailand even got a lot of used aircraft from the US. One example was the OV-10 which they used for at least 15 years before giving them to the Philippines. When I went to Thailand in the mid-90's, I saw a lot of DC-3s on the flight line. I asked an Air Force soldier who was stationed at the airport if the DC-3s are still flying, and he said they are still in active service.
Yup, it seems the Thais are better than us when it comes to maintaining/upgrading their military hardware. During the last coup, you could see na tumatakbo pa even yung mga M-41 Walker Bulldog tanks nila. I read it somewhere that the Thais invested money to have the engines changed to diesels. Gas-guzzlers kasi yung mga unang labas ng M-41.

We also had them pero nasaan na? I remember seeing them in one Independence Day parade in Luneta decades ago. After 1977, it had always been the Scorpions.

There's one M-41 on display at the gate of Camp Aquino in Tarlac. I wonder where the rest were retired.

If we could buy the Alenia fighter plane that Horge showed us, sana naman budgetan nila ng pera for adequate maintenance. Otherwise, mabubulok lang ang mga yan.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sino kaya na general ang yayaman naman when the deal goes thru?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts