Air Force Ejection seat M4

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Haldor, Feb 20, 2020.

1. GP4L

GP4L

No. I never brought up subsonic 5.56. Your original point about shooting bad guys undetected was the flaw I was pointing out, because it's not even remotely realistic in general, or in the scenario being discussed. You brought subsonic 5.56 into the equation.. And yes, the sub .300 is "better" in essentially every way than sub 5.56 - again a point I never attempted to make...

2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Meanwhile....Back on track...

I have a couple comments on the article.

1. I want a folding pistol grip* for my AR pistol.

2. That article perpetuated the myth of the Ar7 as a Air Force survival weapon. Although it was developed (based on the Ar5), it was never adopted or issued by the USAF. Israel adopted a variation of the Ar7 for awhile but the US never did.

It should be noted that the original article on Guns.com got the info on the Ar7 right, except that the Ar5 was bolt action and not a semi. The PM article screwed it up by saying the Ar7 was used as a survival gun by the military. It never was.

Original Guns.com article

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/02/18/the-air-forces-neat-o-gau-5a-an-m-4-packed-for-ejection-seats

*FAB Defense AGF-43S folding pistol grip (Optics Planet $53)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Von Hayes and MikeFL86 like this.

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Uh ok.
    Best of luck with that.

GP4L likes this.
  4. bpd459

bpd459

Greetings,
    The USAF had this in the 60's. This is a modern, retro version of the original.
    John 15842175827034964192008116118657.png

5. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

I'll have to see if I can find my Sig 553 manual. It's a 9" barrel 5.56. If I remember right, they claim it is effective to 600 meters. I could be wrong. I know the muzzle blast and noise would probably be lethal at that range too :)

6. Roguer

Roguer

There probably could of been a better weapon system to used but if it fits, better they have one now than one down the road some year or decade.

As for ammo for the mission of the gun a 5.56 nato sounds about right for it. It looks like there will be 120 rounds, its ammo compatible for other US recovery/rescue, about all said and stated previously. And with normal to decent ammo it should do what it was meant to do. Also with the powder technolgy improvements over a decade ago, shorter barrels get more umph out of the same powder charge for most cartridges. Using non standard ammo from what the military uses cuts down on options if the pilot and the recovery people meet up and still have dangerous boots on the ground time doesn't seem wise. (Said this arm chair general)

The rifle/carbine is to get the pilot out bad just in case situations not go Ramboing. I think a carbine is better than a pistol if the pilot can carry it.

7. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

I would switch the A2 to a muzzle brake type end to minimize blast/noise to shooter. It will serve its purpose. Stick with 556 for commonality. There wont be any bad guys with 300 blk overseas. way more likely to get another AR mag field pick up.