close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Air Compressor

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zonny, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Zonny

Zonny

I'm thinking I need one.

No "industrial" needs. Just think it would be a good addition to the garage. Low tires, bike tires, cleaning and such.

What do I need to buy and what do I need to spend?

Help a female out with this "guy thing". :wavey:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. dango

dango

Well for general light duty you can find a small compact model
    at lowe's or Home depot 1/2 HP 2 Gal. tank from anywhere from $100 on up. Just remember that air tools require high volume high out put . If truly only light duty , you really don't need much.

Happy Holidays....!

3. Zonny

Zonny

4. dango

dango

In that price range , they're all comparable. Cambell Hausfeld , Craftsman (Sears) Dewalt , etc. You get what you pay for so choice is not a huge issue here until you think Professional or industrial !

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Just don't buy the small noisey lunch pail sized. They are junk and work that way. Filling a car tire takes a few cubic feet of air. 2 to 5 cubic feet per minute is a good number for a small home compressor. Home improvement stores offer "Contractor compressors" for running nail guns, that are small, have a storage tank, and are cheap and reliable. Most air tools (drills, saws, sanders, etc.) require 90 psi to operate. If you require less air pressure, you need an air regulator to set the maximum pressure out of the compressor.

Mine is 7 HP with a 60 Gallon vertical tank and 130 psi output at 13 CFM (cubic feet per minute.. Requires a regulator for most tools. I also is around 30 years old, I have forgotten when I bought it. I use all kinds of air tools rather than electric, they are more robust and cheaper.

6. Gareth68

Gareth68

Be realistic about whatever you may wish to use it for in the future. If you truly will just be inflating tires etc, a small compressor will be fine.

Of course, you miss out on the fun of air tools.

If you have any future thoughts of utilizing any air tools such as impact, nailers, ratchet, etc etc etc....you need to check their recommended pressure and operational CFM requirements and make sure the compressor you buy is capable of supporting them.

I like to run 150 psi to my tools. It keeps the impact happy.

=-)

7. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I have a Campbell Hausfeld 2 gallon compressor. I mainly use it for my airbrush, but it will fill tires just fine. Walmart has them. Harbor Freight does too. They are pretty quiet also. :wavey:

8. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

9. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Now you can Duracoat all yer guns, Zonny!!1

10. Southpaw69

Southpaw69

11. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Little to no use? Check Harbor Freight.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

12. Averageman

Averageman

This for the Win!
    I have several air compressors. For what you are asking it to do Harbor Freight will definatly fill the bill and you can get about twice the capacity for half the money.
    I dont know that there are that many people really making different compressors ( probobly few makers with lots of different labels) and until you leave the home models and get to Industrai, I'm sure you'll be fine with harbor frieght.

13. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Worth looking into, especially if you happen to have one of their retail stores nearby (saves on shipping... look at it before you buy, etc.). I've got a 10+ year old unit like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...on-125-psi-portable-air-compressor-67501.html

Used the heck out of it for filling tires, running nail guns, even shooting drywall texture with a hopper gun. Finally got around to changing the compressor oil this summer after years of abuse... and try as I might I haven't been able to kill the darn thing! :cool:

I typically avoid Harbor Freight for tools that will get a lot of use... go higher quality for those... but if it's a low or one-time use kinda thing I might save a few bucks by buying there. Eight years ago I had a single use application for a rotary hammer so I got one of theirs. It's leaking grease all over the place, but still going strong after much hard use.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  14. Adjuster

Adjuster

I have this one. I never new I needed a compressor until I purchased one. Lots of very handy uses. Do make sure you get the brad/staple gun. Unbelievably handy. Compressed air for tires etc, blow gun for cleaning and the staple/nailer for small projects.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-FP209599AV-Twin-Stack-Compressor/dp/B000HDJHDG"]Amazon.com: Campbell Hausfeld FP209599AV 2-Gallon Mini Twin-Stack Air Compressor with 1 1/4-Inch 2-in-1 Brad Nailer / Stapler Kit: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PGH2YCWRL.@@AMEPARAM@@51PGH2YCWRL[/ame]

/

15. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I purchased a Porter Cable from Home Depot and it fell apart within a year when it tipped over in my trunk. It was under $200, $120 maybe, and it is a pile of junk.

Try good quality used on Craigslist. That is what I plan to do.

16. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

I bought the same cheapo harbor freight compressor for my wife to keep in the garage at house (I have a 8hp unit at the shop) to refill bike tires etc and it has held up great. I think it is 6 years old and still use it.

17. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

This is what I bought a couple years ago for the type of use you described. It works great for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

18. Adjuster

Adjuster

Another inexpensive tool I didn't know I needed till I bought one is a small 2 gallon or so wet/dry vacuum. I just can't believe how handy these things are. Water spills, clean the car, sucks up anything and I have even reversed it and used it as a small blower. I have a Craftsman model got it on sale for about $18.00 at Sears.

/