close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

aiming for the head

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by wingz, Mar 11, 2006.

1. wingz

wingz speed not power

BOG Sirs,

Good day guys!went to the armscor msc range, and took this picture of my target. i'm actually aiming for headshots, but some of my shots tend to go a little left & downward below the neck as i move the target halfway of the range. adjusted my sight upward, but missed eventually. the initial headshots were taken at 7 yards. all ammo used were armscor precision 9mm fmjs.any opinion and advice, any inputs are welcome. thank you. :)

wingz

2. Rustyinfla

Rustyinfla

Always practice center mass.

Rusty <><

3. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

you're anticipating the shot, you're pushing the pistol to the left and down. classic flinching.

do lots of dry fire exercises at home. draw, aim, pull the trigger. make it as smooth to the rear and in one continuous motion. the sights should not move at all as you break your shot.

since gamit pala sa Armscor MCS ay IDPA targets, start out at 7 meters. draw, aim and fire for center of mass. dapat mag-1 hole ka repeatedly. then move the target back to 10, then 15 meters.

teka. teka, naka zero ba sa kamay mo yung pistol? i-zero mo at 15 meters using a bench rest muna. ano ba gamit mo, glock?

4. isuzu

isuzu

The body is a bigger area than the head. So go for the body first.

5. Allegra

Allegra

dry fire 2000-3000 times
    it's the number of reps required by the human body to adapt to the motion

err...mag rest ka right after , sigurado masakit na kamay mo nyan

6. wingz

wingz speed not power

that's also what i'm thinking of, pero di ko marealize at the range.sure it is idpa targets are being used in mcs armscor range, BTW what is center mass sir? i'm using a combat 9mm tanfoglio; not the one produce here by armscor. i mean the original tanfoglio sir.

7. wingz

wingz speed not power

ok sir. advice received and ready for practice. wala bng damage sa unit if i practice dry firing everyday?

8. casmot

casmot Re membered

Center mass is the center of the biggest part of the body (torso). In an IPSC target its also known as Alpha.

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

and in the IDPA target, it is the circular area in the middle. kaya nga COM (center of mass), score nya is -0. yung area right after the com is -1 (down 1) and the sides are -2 (down 2).

tanfoglio pala. ok yan i-dry fire in DA and SA mode. gamitan mo lang ng dummy round para di mabali yung firing pin mo.

10. Allegra

Allegra

yup, mawasak baril mo sa dry fire
    To be safe , buy some cigarettes , remove the filter and stuff it ( yung filter! ) between the hammer and firing pin so it will cushion the hammer fall

11. theTactician

theTactician

sir, are you right handed? maybe your grip is kinda tight than it should be so when you pull the trigger, unknowingly youre pulling the gun downwards and to the left. anyway, thats just an observation looking at the paper target and the distribution of the shots.

12. riddler

riddler

Easy to make headshots if shooting at a stationary cardboard target. Very difficult to hit a target who is moving and shooting back at you.

Shoot where he is most likely to get hit!

13. theTactician

theTactician

i guess, riddler is right, when in practice it is always advisable to aim for the chest rather than the head coz in reality, i believe in actual combat situations, you do aim for the chest to have a high percentage of hitting the enemy rather than aiming for his head, in most cases, the chances of hitting is lower plus the fact that your enemy could be hiding or running/dodging.

but like i said, looking at the paper target, it seems that he(right-handed shooter) could be gripping his gun too tight thats why the distribution of the bullet marks is downward and to the left.

14. wingz

wingz speed not power

BOG Sirs,

Again thank you for all the infos and suggestions. i've already make a list of possible solutions to the problem that i went through at the range. gotta practice the basic trainings and shooting with proper grip handling.

wingz

15. wingz

wingz speed not power

i'm actually a lefty turned right handed since there's some trembling problems with my left hand. you are right like the others said; i may unknowingly grip the gun too tight and pulled the gun downward to the left as i take the shot.

16. Allegra

Allegra

pagpunta mo sa range , ask someone to give you your pistol before you shoot pero wag nya sabhin sayo kung may load o wala
    dun mo makikita kung may flinch ka when you pull the trigger

17. SMBeerDealer

SMBeerDealer Member

I hardly find time (and money ;f) to practice on the range so I dryfire about 1-2 hours 4 times a week. Before I only used a dummy round and it did no good. It preserved the breechface but broke the firing pin into 3 pieces! ;z

Used the filters but found myself smoking too much. Hehe!

Anyway, found a more effective alternative: leather pieces with holes punched in the middle. It cushions the fall of the hammer and prevents any contact with the firing pin. Cut leather from an old belt about 2mm thick that would fit snuggly in the rear of the slide where firing pin protrudes and punch a whole the same size as the firing pin. Once in place, dryfire without fear. You can even rack the slide with it in place and it won't fall out unlike a dummy round. Been using this for over a year and no more damage.

You can even use it while dryfiring in the safety area without fear of disqualification. Just don't forget to remove it before going on deck. ;f

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Allegra

Allegra

a good alternative to dryfiring is coffee
    Coffee improves my skills and endurance

19. isuzu

isuzu

Berettas and Taurus pistols as well as CZ and its clones are very notorious for having broken firing pins if dry-fired a lot. I had to minimize dry firing my Taurus (which later became my wife's pistol) due to this.

Allegra, you should try Tim Horton's coffee. Ang sarap!:)

20. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

bumili wife ko ng special arengga alamid coffee from cavite. yun bang kinain ng alamid (palm civet cat) na ripe coffee fruit tapos pinulot yung buto sa forest floor after it passed out a body orifice... parang di ko maatim tikman.... hehehe... pero super sarap daw... a ewan!