GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to pick up 600 rounds of Aguila 9mm 115 grain ball ammo the other day for a so-so price at a chain store. More than I've been paying, but not terrible in these times. I mostly buy USA manufactured ammo, but I'll take what I can get right now. I bought this for practice sessions, as I have some Sig Elite Performance and Federal ball ammo saved for matches.

Is this Aguila stuff reliable? Reasonably accurate? I just finished up with a case of Privi/PPU, and a case of Fiocchi. Both were reliable, but the Privi wouldn't shoot good groups. Unexplained fliers, a couple that key-holed, etc. The Fiocchi was fine, just not as accurate as my stash, but I won't buy the Privi again.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
If it was all I could get, I guess.

The .22 lr ammo is supposedly "Eley Primed," but about 1 out of 25 have to be struck multple times on different parts of the rim before it will fire.

·
Previously nutsnax
695 Posts
I managed to pick up 600 rounds of Aguila 9mm 115 grain ball ammo the other day for a so-so price at a chain store. More than I've been paying, but not terrible in these times. I mostly buy USA manufactured ammo, but I'll take what I can get right now. I bought this for practice sessions, as I have some Sig Elite Performance and Federal ball ammo saved for matches.

Is this Aguila stuff reliable? Reasonably accurate? I just finished up with a case of Privi/PPU, and a case of Fiocchi. Both were reliable, but the Privi wouldn't shoot good groups. Unexplained fliers, a couple that key-holed, etc. The Fiocchi was fine, just not as accurate as my stash, but I won't buy the Privi again.
Bullets named Aguila will kill things just as dead as bullets named Federal or Winchaster from what i can tell.

·
Registered
35,124 Posts
Some of my non reloading shooting buddies use it without issues.

·
Venor ergo sum
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'm going to see if I can get some more.

Reactions: Glock Commander

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I use it, works fine, made at the old Remington plant in Mehico. Good stuff, never gave me any problem, usually competitively priced.
Mexican Remington. Good stuff in 9mm. My Browning High Power (1981) was not 100% reliable with JHP but the Aquila 115 JHP is like a RN with the HP at the end. So back in those days I wanted to practice with similar bullet weight so Aquila 115 FMJ = Aquila 115 FMJ.

·
NOT MOD APPROVED
8,680 Posts
I've used some of their .308 and shotgun shells without an issue.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If it’s the old stuff in the blue and grey box, I wouldn’t take it for free.

I’ve shot some of their newer offerings in the red and white box which weren’t horrible.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I`ve shot several... i found it to be kinda dirty. But if thats all you can get, it sure beats nothing!

·
Scouts Out
1,447 Posts

Yes. I live near the border and this ammo is pretty available. I've used it in several multi day training schools.

·
Scottish Member
11,458 Posts
If it was all I could get, I guess.

The .22 lr ammo is supposedly "Eley Primed," but about 1 out of 25 have to be struck multple times on different parts of the rim before it will fire.
I've shot about 1k of Aguila .22 in steel (Magnum Research and Ruger MK III and Mk III/22-45) without any issues compared to CCI or Federal.

Some of my friends have shot a lot more Aguila (5 digits) than I have in .22 in steel, and have had no problems (comparatively). Reliability in steel is THE equipment priority in steel, and a fair number of folks use Aguila.

If their 9mm is comparable to their .22, I would trust their CF pistol FMJs as much as any other manufacturer. I believe that it is easier to make reliable CF pistol than .22.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's always gone bang for me, but it is a little dirty as some mentioned. My go to ammo before the panic was Sellier & Bellot. Have probbaly fired ten thousand rounds of that stuff and never had a mulfunction, ever. Plus the boxes are very compact and stack nice and deep in the safe.

·
Custom Title Goes Here
1,480 Posts
This is what my LGS had for me when I bought my G48. It ran flawlessly through 100 rounds, FWIW.

·
Previously G48 OEM Guy
54 Posts
My LGS had them today. $30 for 50 Rds. I walked away since I still have a little over 1000 rd of Speer Lawman. What kind of crazy prices are you all seeing on these Mexican Remingtons?

·
Venor ergo sum
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought mine in 300 round bulk packs for about $75. That was back in August though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts