Opinions
Worth the extra
Life expectations
Performance
Experience
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
16,882 Posts
An AGM battery will typically withstand deep discharge and recharge better than a flooded battery, will withstand vibration better, and can be mounted in any direction becuase there's no liquid to leak out.

Those are great qualities, but for the average person who just wants a good reliable battery in their vehicle they arent going to offer much over a regular battery.

· Scottish Member
15,296 Posts
Depends on the application.

I've read reports that the Optima batteries "aren't what they used to be" (change of ownership?) and they are no longer worth the premium.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
Depends on the application.

I've read reports that the Optima batteries "aren't what they used to be" (change of ownership?) and they are no longer worth the premium.

Optima has lost it. Odyssey are what we use in our race cars only now.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
For a boat: yup.
Motorcycle: yup.
Car: no reason to spend the extra money for AGM, unless it's for a car that sits for long(months) periods of time.

Reactions: ranger1968

· Registered
1,334 Posts
I travel for months at a time and my Sunday driver has to stay on a trickle charger. A couple of times the charger shut off for one reason or another and I came home to a dead battery. Switched to an Optima Yellow top and even if the charger kicks a GFI, I still have a charge when I get back. I also ended up putting one in my truck. I'm a believer in deep cycle AGM for any use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.