close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

aging eyes ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Pat S, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Pat S

Pat S Millennium Member

Hello,

I need some advise from those who are visually challenged by patridge style sights. I've got presbyopia and cannot get a clear focus on the front sight anymore. Other then close up my vision is excellent. I've been thinking out getting a set of glasses specifically for shooting with a clear lens on the non-dominant eye and correction in the other lens for a sharp focus on the front sight. I was wondering what others here have done for this condition. I can't help thinking my shooting performance won't increase if I can get a better sight focus.

Thanks, Pat S

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Pat,

On a sunny day I shoot best without my corrective lenses. You may wish to give it a try.

3. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

I have shooting buddies that have contacts set up with strong hand eye--front sight and weak hand eye--distance. Seems strange to me but they each say it works for them.

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I have a pair of glasses with the dominant eye set for the front sight and the non-dominant set for distance. It has worked for me.

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Jerry, I was talking w/Butch & believe he did something similar (can't recall exactly) but your setup "seems" to make sense, particularly as I've got a different dominant eye than in yrs past. Did you have the Rx just ground into a regular pair & then use whatever shades/accessories based on sun conditions, or progressive shading in the lens, or...?
    Sgd,
    Opthalmic Warranty Expired ;f

6. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

You may find your answer at
    www.champchoice.com
    Many of the "mature"target shooters I shoot with have used the CLEARSIGHT OPTICAL AID (item CS1)with very satisfactory results.
    I personally use the KNOBLOCH OPTIC item K3366, and attach it to my regular glasses...then I put whatever + power in it I need- Knobloch
    sells them in +.50,75,1.00,1.25,1.50-Clear-Smoke-Yellow (page 29 of the cataloge)
    Let me tell you-these things work! They will focus you on the front sight- they are target shooter aids... they are NOT for "running and shooting"-and they work best with an "off eye" shader.But they are perfectly suitable for and tuff enough for GSSF.
    I like the KNOBLOCH over the CLEARSIGHT because it's a larger diameter- but the CLEARSIGHT is a good choice because it comes with 3 lenses(+.50,.75,1.00) and we don't know what power you need.
    Shooting is NO fun if you can't see the sights, and frustrating when you KNOW you could have done better if you coulda seen the sights!
    I shoot National Muzzleloading Rifle Association matches and Id say 1/2 of their shooters have to use some kind of optical aid.

7. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I had them ground in a gradient lens. When I replace these I won't repeat that part, I'll use just straight clear lenses next time. I stopped using any type of sunshades when shooting a match. The more constricted your pupil, the deeper your field of focus.

8. bubbygator

bubbygator

Crimson Trace Lasergrips.... try 'em.

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Have the bi-focal put at the top of the "shooting lens" at the spot you will look through when using your sights.

Franell (name of the company) I think it is u-view top tech they work like a flip-up, clip-on sun glass . They are only sold through your eye Dr.

They clip to the top of your glasses and will allow you to see your sights then they flip up out of the way so you can walk.

10. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I would try custom glasses (take your gun to the docs and make to check it in natural light) and sights with lots of light on the sides of the front.

11. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

some are not shooters and will freak-out.

A tape measure with the blade extended to the length of your barrel will let the doc measurer you in shooting position.

12. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Jerry & Lethal, et al, thanks for the posts (and Pat for the ?); interesting. I also don't use any shading simply because of the depth of field issue. (Now if I could just borrow some of my wife's rod cells....)
    I'll discuss this with the Doc & setup a convenient time to get some discreet custom measuring done. A valuable thread. :)

13. Pat S

Pat S Millennium Member

Thanks to all who replied! Any more thoughts, keep them coming. I think I'm going to go with a set ground with the dominant eye set for the front sight and either no correction or distance correction in the other.

I also shoot a little USPSA stuff so I have to be able to move and see also. Anyone have any idea who would sell frames with side shields and Poly carb lens? The places I've talked about making up this combination only seem to stock conventional frame glasses.

Thanks, Pat

14. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

if I remember it right Fireglocks were cut from a winchester ammo box.

15. 40blaster

40blaster

HayYa
    I am 60 and needed reading glasses to read Time and News Week. Two days after taking a vision dietary supplement I can read both magazines, with out glasses. It's the first time I have been able to see my front sight in ten years. It usually had three different levels vertically and undefined sides. I can even see the little cross cuts in the blade now. I was using GNC Ocular but they have changed it(new and improved) and it is less effective now so I am going to try another major brand.
    Fred

16. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Assume you're talking about this stuff. Interesting. Curious if there are any caveats when taken with a regular daily multi-vitamin and/or what you find as a substitute. At approx $25/month (quick search), with eyes that still change rapidly requiring a trip to the Optometrist, hmmmm...... ^8

17. Pat S

Pat S Millennium Member

Matt,

I put your Bomars on my G24 and G17 and like them. They give a much better sight picture then the stock Golck or Ameriglo sights I had on these guns.

Am looking forward to trying them again with new vision correction for focus on the front sight. I'm trying to decide wheter to go with a bifocal in the upper half of the lens of my dominant eye(as lethal tupperwa suggested) or a fully corrected lens on the dominant eye only. The bifocal sounds like it would be better for run and gun shooting. The other for stand and shoot and bullseye.

Pat S.

18. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Here's a less than perfect pic of my new lenses, but I think you can see what I did. For fast shooting inside 25 yards, it's been working fairly well for me. Beyond 25 yards, I find myself closing my left eye often. One thing though, if you look at a Dot sight through the upper lense on the right, it's a bad thing......really messes up the dot.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to try this (as compared to just getting a pair of glasses specifically for shooting) largely because I also needed to be functional for work......got to be able to see, read, *and* shoot without having to change glasses.

Some things about ageing really suck..... ;)

;?

19. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Muchas gracias! (Figured the usual superb tech illustration would be forthcoming.) I like the idea of something w/more utility than dedicated glasses. (I'd just have to flip the top functions as I've become left-eye dominant; and you're right, it sucks.) Wonder how a Rx like that impacts rifle shooting with a scope. ^8

Typically I don't find a problem (with a scope) shooting weak-eyed as I've usually left the other eye open anyway. Hmmm - something to ponder, the effect of using these shooting with a rifle scope....
    I'm just glad to logon & find this thread hasn't been moved to the Geriatrics Forum. ;e