close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

[Again] CCW in GA?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mass10mm, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Mass10mm

Mass10mm Armed Yankee

I fly single engine planes out of an airport which also has regularly scheduled passenger service. There is a sterile area inside the terminal, with TSA screeners and luggage X-rays. In addition, there is also a secure area on the ramp where the passsenger planes load and unload, marked by a red painted boundary and warning signs.

For the rest of us GA pilots, the ramps and hangars are in a SIDA ('Security Identification Display Area'), where we need to wear photo ID's to enter. My question is: as a licensed CCW holder, am I allowed to carry concealed in the SIDA? I asked one of the State Troopers who was maintaining airport security, but he didn't know. He said that he thought it was OK, but he couldn't definitely say so. I know that I can carry inside the areas of the terminal that are not sterile, since they are not part of the SIDA, and of course I cannot carry inside the sterile area, but what about the rest of the ramps and hangars?

Your opinions are welcome, but please note whether you are stating opinion or facts.

2. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

Florida also has as a part of the "prohibited carry" areas, "passenger terminals" written into the state law. It is a gray area of what consitutes a passenger terminal, but most opinions I've obtained consider it to mean the scheduled air carrier terminal.

In my case, the passenger terminal for Part 121 carriers is on one side of the airport, and the sole FBO on the field is on the opposite side (across the runways). Part 135 work occurs in and around the FBO, but the majority is privately owned GA aircraft.

Like you, we are required to wear an ID and use a gate code to drive personal vehicles onto the tarmac. My airplane is located in one of the hangars leased by the FBO. So, I'm routinely packing a CCW when I am with my aircraft/flying. In addition, a "survival" gun and ammo is a normal piece of equipment in the baggage compartment of my airplane as I do much cross country work over remote areas.

I'm thinking my personally owned airplane would be treated just like my automobile or boat. Besides, it is unlikely that I'll hijack myself! :)

Should some feel the GA areas a "no no" for CCW, I guess those who live in fly-in communities are in big trouble...

3. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

I agree. What the hell is airport security, anyway? It's you and me, armed.

4. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I can vouch for the security precautions in place on AirCola. If you're not armed you're just flat not allowed to board the plane.