close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aftermarket Barrels, Glock warranties, and reloads

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gnomishninja, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Gnomishninja

Gnomishninja

I have about 500 rounds of once-fired 9mm brass, so it's probably a good time for me to start learning how to re-load. I know that reloads void the warranty on the Glock and it was recommended that I get an aftermarket barrel.

Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket barrel for shooting reloads and can anyone tell me if using an aftermarket barrel in this way will void the warranty? Thanks in advance.

2. Pizzapie76

Pizzapie76 MI Glocker

How will Glock know if you're shooting reloads? I almost exclusively shoot reloads. It would be way too expensive for me to shoot factory ammo. Reloading is a fun hobby too. I wouldn't worry too much about voiding the warranty. Just remember, ALLWAYS stick to the recipe for the load you choose. More is better doesn't apply in reloading.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Afteremarket parts also void the factory warranty. You do not need an after-market barrel unless you plan to use 18th century lead bullets in a 21st century barrel that was designed to enhance the performance of modern, jacketed ammo.

4. Gnomishninja

Gnomishninja

I'm not sure how Glock will "know" I'm shooting reloads, but I'm paranoid that if I do reloading, I risk a Ka-Boom. And that somehow Glock will find out it was a re-load, etc etc.

5. Pizzapie76

Pizzapie76 MI Glocker

Just find a recipe you like(I like Lee's "Modern Reloading" book) and don't deviate from it. If you try a load and don't like it, switch recipies but never alter a recipe. Also if you use a progressive reloading press, it's hard to screw it up. It's reloading trays that can make it easy to add an accidental double charge. I randomly weigh a powder charge from my press as I'm reloading to make sure it's staying consistant. Anyway, pick up Lee's Modern Reloading. It's a great way to learn how to reload safely. The chances of you blowing up a gun are pretty slim.

6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

There's a HUGE contingent of reloaders here (just check the Reloading forum, and the GSSF forum has a bunch of reloaders). We all use the stock barrell if shooting jacketed bullets (you will need aftermarket for lead).

I have 10,000 rounds through my G17 that I bought last year...