Aftermarket Barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Shanester66, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Shanester66

Shanester66

I have been thinking about replacing the stock barrel in my 19. Nothing wrong with it...just thought I would invest in something aftermarket to improve the shootability of the gun.

Do you guys think its worth it or am I just spending unnecessary cash.

If you think its worth it...what manuf. do you suggest. I heard Lone Wolf quality can be spotty. Suggestions???

2. RBL525

RBL525

how would it improve the shootability of the gun?

I have 2 G19's that are very accurate. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang. It hits where i am aiming or maybe a little low left (practicing trigger control). But it functions flawlessly, and the accuracy is not due to the barrel.

if you are itching to buy something, and want to try it out, go for it. Personally, I save the money from those aftermarket accessories and save it for more Glocks. About to pick up a 23 and 38.

I hope this helps, have fun shooting, and as always, stay safe!

3. up1911fan

up1911fan

I'd go with a Bar-Sto or KKM.

4. Lothar

Lothar Noob

If you get a longer bbl it could be more accurate.. but probably not worth it. The only real reason to get an aftermarket bbl it to convert or shoot lead. I would save the money and buy more ammo, that will help you more than a bbl will.

5. pleaforwar

pleaforwar

I have a Storm Lake barrel for my G19. So far I am very impressed with it and I have noticed improved accuracy over my stock barrel.

6. FinnFanatic

FinnFanatic Stinkin badgers

Unless you are getting something like an extended barrel or just changing caliber, the stock barrel is fine for what it was designed for, IMHO.

7. pleaforwar

pleaforwar

I should have mentioned that. My Storm Lake barrel is an extended barrel.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Unless you want to shoot lead keep the barrel stock. If you want to spend a little money on your baby there are other options. You can upgrade your trigger and releases. A good holster is nice. Ammo is always a good choice.

9. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I've got some aftermarket barrels and I think you'd be wasting money unless you have some specific thing in mind that your stock barrel does not do for you. Like, having threads on the end of it, or maybe you want to shoot soft lead wad cutters you mold yourself out of wheel weights. Otherwise, a stock Glock barrel is already the best, and the others are mostly downgrades.

BTW, if you do get an aftermarket barrel, don't be fooled into thinking Bar-Sto is the best just because they're the most over priced. They're no better than barrels costing 40 to 45 percent less, and possibly not as good. Lone Wolf isn't bad for the money, but only because they're so cheap. For a little more than a Lone Wolf you can get a KKM, Storm Lake, or an EFK FireDragon, and it's worth the extra money IMO to go with them.

10. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

I have a Lone Wolf barrel for my G27 to shoot 9mm on the range, and another for my G21 to shoot lead. I only use them for basic plinking and target practice. Your factory barrel is high quality and matched to the firearm for reliability etc. If you aren't shooting lead, and don't want to shoot 9mm out of a .40, I would leave it alone and save the money for practice ammo.

11. Harleyguy1998

Harleyguy1998

I purchased a Storm Lake for my 23 because I reload and also because I wanted to try shooting some lead. Not looking to start another debate over unsupported barrels, but the Storm Lake is definitely a closer fit in the chamber and there is a measurable guppy belly left in the brass at 6 o'clock on the Glock barrel that the Storm Lake does not have. Additionally catching it on sale before Christmas for $90 was a plus. So for my reasons I feel it's justified. Also, it's a very accurate barrel. To buy one just to buy one however, would be a waste of cash in my opinion.

12. Ticman

Ticman

I'll have to agree with Brian. Unless you're shooting lead or something the stock barrel with shoot much better than you. No offense but Glock does make an excellent and accurate barrel.

Having said that I do have a 6 inch KKM 357 sig barrel for my G35. Mostly, because Glock doesn't make a 6 inch 357 sig.

13. JBP55

JBP55

The best accuracy I have found in a G19 was with a KKM barrel, your experience may be different. There is nothing wrong with an OEM Glock barrel for shooting conventional factory ammunition.

14. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

You can interchange G-27 and G-26 barrels? (From 27 to 26 I mean). I assume 9mm mags must be used as well.