close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aftermarket barrel questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 92869, Jan 18, 2010.

1. 92869

I will be buying an after market barrel for my Glock 17. There are several popular brands all of which appear to be high quality and accurate. Are any of the barrels superior for reliability of feeding (same size chamber as o.e.m. vs. match chamber) or have any other characteristics worthy of consideration?

2. Dingus

Dingus

I know of no aftermarket barrel that is more reliable than a factory barrel.

3. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Unless you are shooting lead or making a open gun save your $$. Glock 9mm barrels have a relatively tight chamber and adequate case support.

4. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I'll second that remark!!!!

And I own 4 different aftermarket barrels for Glocks. NONE look as well made as the Glock barrel, NONE is any more accurate, and NONE feeds any better.

If you are into reloading, a barrel with tighter chamber dimensions will supposedly stretch your brass a bit less, (On a 10MM chamber, the after market barrels are about .004 of an inch smaller diameter - and that's not much.) and if you want to shoot soft home-cast lead projectiles, broach cut rifling is better, since soft lead will stick to Glock rifling - which is every other way, is the new and superior way to rifle a barrel.

If you're not reloading with soft lead, don't waste your money on a non-Glock barrel.

5. MarioS

MarioS

I agree.

Unless you are shooting .40S&W and want to save your brass for reloading, I would just stick with the stock barrel. My 9mm brass from the stock barrel is fine for reloading; doesn't get the nasty bulge that the .40S&W chambers give the brass. I bought a Lone Wolf barrel for that very reason, and although it was accurate, it just never functioned as reliably or as smooth as the stock barrel. But, if you really want one, I recommend Lone Wolf. They are pretty affordable at around $100.

6. George Tucker

George Tucker George Tucker

I have 2 KKM barrels that i would not trade for anything, like them that well, and i can shoot Cast Bullets to.

7. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01

I find My lone wolf barrel to be more accurate than my factory barrel. its fully supported chamber and can shoot lead. in over 2000 rounds its never had an FTE or FTF.

Alex

8. 92869

I guess I should have clarified why I will be buying an after market barrel. My stock barrel has something in it that looks like leading but isn't. I only shoot plated bullets and not to max loads. I have tried a full regimen to remove what I thought was leading, solvents, brushing, Lewis lead remover, etc. Nothing worked. Glock of course has said send the barrel in and they would make it right and I have no doubt they will. In my research I have found others that have had the same experience, but no answers. So I would just like to have a barrel that I can shoot reloads, even lead if I choose.

9. RFPhoto

RFPhoto

I have found the StormLake barrel to be as good if not better than the factory barrel. Case support is better and it has been found to be a bit more accurate from a rest. It is not a "match" barrel and doesn't require filing, fitting or special ammo. It will feed the $$$ stuff just as well as non-brassed cased ammo.

10. 92869

***UPDATE***

Bought a new LWD barrel for the G17 and am happy. Accuracy does seem to be improved, no feeding or FTF problems and the barrel is clean with just a few passes with the nylon brush.

11. Special Reserve

Special Reserve

I shoot 40 S&W and save all my brass. I have both a 23 and a 27. None of my brass has the so called glock bulge. Is that from older guns? My 23 is from 2005 and my 27 is from 2006. Or am I missing something? I have at least 5000 rounds saved. All once fired from my guns.