close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aftermarket Barrel Myths. are they true...?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by USAFtrevor87, Mar 10, 2010.

1. USAFtrevor87

USAFtrevor87

So I reading on another forum when I came across this guy talking about aftermarket barrels. I lost the link to the site but he was saying how some aftermarket barrels have a tighter chamber for better accuracy. Okay makes sense. But he said because of these tighter chambers they are known to cause a lot more FTFs; and that aftermarket barrels should not be used on everyday CC guns.
    What I don't understand is if this is true, why i haven't read it on GT yet lol and why would a company produce and sell barrels that are less reliable then a stock glock barrel? Why would people go out and spend $100-$250 for an aftermarket barrel that has more of a chance to malfunction?
    If anyone has any input I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

2. Geezer1

Geezer1

I cannot respond from a technical aspect or from a practical gun smith position, but I have researched this some. Why, I am about to purchase an aftermarket 9MM barrel for my 22 simply to save a few bucks for practice and plinking. What I have found is a Lone Wolf 9 MM barrel appears to be not only economical but it works. There are several other manufactures that appear to work equally as well. Having said that, I will default to the mounds of experience on this site comment. However, as a night stand weapon or CC, I will pop my OEM 40 barrel back in.

3. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

When I had my G19 and my LW barrel to shoot lead after a few hundred trouble free rounds down the range I just left the LW barrel in. It was easier than constantly changing barrels.

If your ammo is in spec there shouldn't be any FTE, or FTF, due to the tighter chamber.
    :wavey:

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It's been on Glocktalk plenty. Yes, to make pistols more reliable, tolerances have to be tightened and any tightening of tolerance on a standard major brand pistol will reduce reliability. Not a shocking revelation and most people are aware of it.

My biggest complaint about aftermarket barrels, however, is that mopst people replace barrels and sights because they can't hit the target, not because their barrel or sights are inaccurate. Any stock Glock I've ever shot will hit the same hole repeatedly, standing unsuppported, at 7 yards and will make head shots all day at 25-35, and that's allowing for shooter error. After makret barrels for accuracy are a case of money wasted due to lack of knowledge for all but a few competitors and hunters.

5. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

I think this is the 3rd time i've typed this in 2 weeks but I'll go again. First, here is a pic that will explain alot.

[​IMG]

On the left is a standard glock BBl, on the right is an aftermarket BBl. As you can see the Glock BBl has a deeper cut feedramp (BBLs are upside down and feed ramps are on top.) and a looser chamber. There is one reason for these 2 things. RELIABILITY! As in all things there are comprimises and this reliabilty comes with some cost. Namely the portion of the feedramp that does not support the case head. This results in a little more stress to the brass. These chambers have been proven safe by the 100s of millions of rounds shot through them since they were designed.

On the accuracy issue. The difference in chambers has very little effect on real world use accuracy. The bbl and crown are far more influential.

I have found my glocks to be very accurate. As they say "they shoot better than I do". I found no increase in accuracy with the aftermarket bbl and in fact I usually shoot better with the glock bbl. That is my experience YMMV. ALSO i have never had a Failure of any kind with EITHER BBL. Even so I would never use the aftermarket BBL for personal defense. Why? Because the Glock BBl is inherantly more reliable in design, and adverse conditions may cause the aftermarket bbl to cause a problem, when I want reliability most of all.

The only reason I use an after market bbl is it gives me a little more support and is therfore a little safer for reloads.

If I might summarize thus.

An aftermarket BBL is not UNreliable, it's just not AS inherently reliable as the glock.
    and A glock BBl is not UNsafe it's just not AS safe (due to unsupported case head) as a fully supported chamber. In both cases the differences are VERY slight. If it seems like i'm splitting hairs, well thats because in this discussion, we are.

Ricky

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  6. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

You probably would have caught it after you re read it.

7. Adjuster

Adjuster

Quick education for me??? How does the chamber effect accuracy? The bullet still has to travel down a barrel and exit a crown. In my minds eye this eliminates any effect the chamber would have on accuracy.

8. Slug71

Slug71

Funny this thread should be at the top. Im currently planning to sell my G36 for a G33/G39 and was just looking at Lone Wolf barrels for them and wondering if the $100 is worth it.

9. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

When chambers are looser, you loose consistency. A tighter chamber will ensure that the round is in the same position upon firing. This is what makes the difference in accuracy.

Unless you are shooting from a machine rest, or happen to have a very inaccurate Glock, you probably wont notice much difference in combat shooting.

10. omega48038

omega48038

I always thought the main reason for aftermarket barrels was to make shooting lead both safer and easier.

Also, aftermarket barrels aren't intended for a carry gun, so reliability isn't as much a concern as it is for stock. Aftermarket barrels are usually made with smaller clearances to enhance accuracy.

Tolerance and clearance are two totally different things, and the terms are not interchangeable. Tolerance refers to variations in individual part dimensions compared to design dimensions. Clearance means how tightly or loosely those individual parts fit together in an assembly. Most of the same people who are so anal over clip vs. magazine say tolerance when they really mean clearance.

11. gunsablazin

gunsablazin

I use a Lone Wolf barrel in my Glock 35 for shooting reloads in IDPA, I use it because the chamber is tighter and there is much less stress on the brass when resizing it, Brass fired from the stock barrel will go about 1/3 the way into my case gauge, brass from the lone Wolf barrel will drop all the way in. By using the aftermarket barrel and reduced power loads I have drastically lowered the chance of a case failure, even with brass that has been reloaded many times. It is my opinion that for range use, with reloads it is the smart thing to do.
    That being said, I would never use the gun as a weapon with anything but factory ammo and the original stock barrel. I can not tell any difference in the accuracy of the gun with either barrel, and the looser tolerances of the stock unit make it much less prone to a feeding problem.
    If you don't shoot reloads you don't need another barrel, if you do you might want to consider it for the reduction in stressing the brass during the resizing process. In my opinion there is no other need for an after market barrel.
    That is my take on it anyway.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Huh? So all that classic work and shops full of tools for tightening 1911 slide rails and barrel bushings and all those oversized barrels and all that lapping work is for nothing, since we should have been loosening them up for reliability and...huh? Do you shoot pistols?

I've never actually know of gunsmithing to loosen tolerances for reliability. Any self defense pistol, Glock, S&W, Sig, Beretta, H&K, Colt, etc. is plenty loose enough for reliability the way it comes.

13. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

This thread is about the glock Chamber and feedramps. So I stand by my statement. As stated above however Tolerance is more correctly stated clearance. Call it clearance, tolerance or slop or whatever you want, when It comes to chambers, if reliabilty is priority one you want a looser chamber. If accuracy is top priority chambers are tightened up.

Now I suspect we are on the same page.

However from your description of all the requirements to make a 1911 reliable I'm glad I shoot glocks. LOL :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  14. Tbone38

Tbone38

I agree. Ive had a dozen or so Glocks in every caliber except .45 GAP and Ive never had one that was inaccurate. The only barrell that I have ever purchased for a Glock is the 6" model 20 barrell for hunting.
    If it no brokey I no fixy.