close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

After Thought Question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by wildwalk, Jun 3, 2002.

1. wildwalk

wildwalk

I shot my first match at Roseburg. What a thrill I am hooked. Glock the plates was a total thrill shot 1 string at five secs with a G20 was happy with that. But I really sucked on the D1 targets

My main problem besides trying to go to fast (had 4 misses) is the NRA D1 targets. I have a hard time telling where the so called X-ring is. I am use to shooting a bright orange dot on my targets. Any hints or advise on taking aim on the D1 targets especially at the 15 yards and beyond?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Two suggestions come to mind:

1. Concentrate on shooting for "center mass" if you really cannot see the rings.

2. Order some D-1 targets (cost about $50 per 100 I think) and practice with the real thing.

I couldn't see the scoring rings for the first 2 years and then had my perscription for my glasses updated and now I can see them even on the 25 yard target. The lighting on the targets also really makes a big difference.

I have a cataract in my left eye and wear bi-focals so I understand and appreciate the challenge.

Hope this helps.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

My suggestion is to slow down on the D-1's. It's too hard to make up a 10 point miss, so take a few extra seconds each string. A 36 second time and 4 penalty points is far better than a 20 second time and 30 or more penalty points.

My 58 year old eyes have trouble seeing the rings, but I know where they are. I practice for accuracy, not speed, on the 5TG and Glock M.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

If the targets you use are marked orange or have distinctive markings for the scoring rings, turn them around on the target stand. Score as you normally would, but have it so the scoring rings are no available for aiming.

You'll pick up on where center of mass is rather quickly without the orange markings there.

DanH