Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that everyone is putting fancy after-market slides on their Glocks. I spoke to a few of these companies that are producing these at SHOT Show and for the most part it appears that you send in your factory Glock Slide and then pay them a thousand dollars and then they send back your same slide with a bunch of cool milling work...what am I missing?

I did see a couple companies that actually milled slides from the ground up with better tolerances (Tharros Industries' Halo 1 that I saw at Shield Optics booth) but it seems that the standard is for the customer to provide the base slide or purchase a re-worked OEM, which means your base slide goes into a drawer I guess.

Anyone have much experience playing with these and are you happy with your purchase?

·
A swamp dude
11,664 Posts
I acquired a like-new, complete G19 frame and needed a slide to make a whole gun. This Lone Wolf stainless "after market" slide and KKM barrel filled the bill nicely for a reasonable cost. This gun functions well and I like the look.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I know you can't believe everything you hear or read online, but a YouTuber while comparing slides mentioned that he wore out one of those fancy aftermarket slides after 20k rounds. Like I said, who knows if that's true. I do know stainless isnt the same as melonited steel.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
The only reason I would want a Glock slide milled would be to add forward serrations. But that's not legal for production, so it's useless to me. Actually it would be a step backward, because I'd lose my ability to manipulate the slide without serrations.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
It certainly doesn't make much sense to mothball the original slide, nor IMHO does it make sense to just buy or convert your existing OEM slide into a stupor duper slide for crazy $$, because what are you actually gaining, besides emptying your wallet? I'd keep the OEM parts for the pistol just as they are to maintain it's original configuration, then purchase another slide/barrel caliber conversion, at least in an attempt to get some kind of performance advantage or increased accuracy potential out of the exercise, vs. simply owning a "showpiece".

The only reason I opted for an aftermarket slide (Lone Wolf 20L) for my Gen3 G21SF frame was #1, I needed a slide, and #2, I liked the idea of converting it to a longslide 10mm, purchasing both a 6.02" Lone Wolf and a 6.61" threaded Alfa Wolf barrel for it.

You'll of course have to outfit the bare slide with internal parts and sights, so that's an additional cost consideration but you'll still be ahead of the game vs. spending all the coin on that Star Wars lookin' slide alone...

Call me a stick in the mud but I, as in me personally, just don't see the use in all the flash. I don't care for 24" spinner wheels on 1980 Chevy Impala's either, so please take my commentary with a grain of salt and do whatever pleases you ;)

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
It seems that everyone is putting fancy after-market slides on their Glocks.
Yeah...just like "everyone" is getting tongue studs, cheek studs, nose rings, nipple rings, full-body tatoos, green hair, etc. Perhaps they are the same people...suckers for flamboyant fashion displays. :)

Reactions: Joco34

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's interesting with the 20k round failure. Do you remember what youtuber did the test? I think melonite is just a metal treatment isn't it? I've talked to a few guys at SHOT who ordered Tharros Slides but I'm hoping to scratch and sniff before I lay down the cash. Looks pretty cool though...wondering what kind of finish they have?
I know you can't believe everything you hear or read online, but a YouTuber while comparing slides mentioned that he wore out one of those fancy aftermarket slides after 20k rounds. Like I said, who knows if that's true. I do know stainless isnt the same as melonited steel.

·
SuperOwner
8,052 Posts

if you can afford $4000 worth of ammo, you can afford a new $150 slide.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I had a friend do a Cerakote along with front serrations, he also swapped out my sights for Trijicon HDs. I did it because it was cheap and I liked the idea of an OD green slide. I wouldn't have a made any significant investment in the process but I'm very happy with what I got.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Because..... AMERICA!, that's why. :D

I have 2 Lone Wolf slide/barrel sets that I put together. One is a 5" G20T and one is a 6" G21L. These were put on new Glock SF frames to make two complete pistols. I'm very happy with the performance of these guns, and I think it was worth the time and money spent doing them. The final cost for each complete pistol was about what a new large frame Glock would cost. I haven't sent any factory Glock slides out for custom work, but have been happy with Lone Wolf slides and barrels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just put a Zev slide on my Glock 19 primarily so I could put the RMR on it. Zev makes beautiful slides but they are really $$$$. They had several slides for my G19 on sale around the holidays at about 1/2 their normal price which made them just a little expensive so I bought one. It is for Gen 1-3 and it is perfect in every way. I used OEM internals along with some Zev internals to reduce trigger pull. RMR fits perfectly without any adapter plate and cowitness was perfect with suppressor sights. Functions flawlessly. I got mine in FDE and it looks great with black lower. The problem with factory MOS slide is that it requires and adaptor plate with elevates the reflex sight somewhat and adds back weight. The MOS milled slot is big enough for all reflex sights and bigger then it needs to be for the RMR. I think my entire set up weighs about the same as a non milled slide. To each his own but I really like what I ended up with.

·
I'm not retired
7,808 Posts
It isn't unreasonable to believe the slide rails that the guides in the frame go in, get loose. 20,000 is a fair amount of rounds, too, and it prolly doesn't include dry cycles. Slides break at times, too.

Don't send to Myth Busters. They will prove it can be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's interesting with the 20k round failure. Do you remember what youtuber did the test? I think melonite is just a metal treatment isn't it? I've talked to a few guys at SHOT who ordered Tharros Slides but I'm hoping to scratch and sniff before I lay down the cash. Looks pretty cool though
The only reason I would want a Glock slide milled would be to add forward serrations. But that's not legal for production, so it's useless to me. Actually it would be a step backward, because I'd lose my ability to manipulate the slide without serrations.
What do you mean by "not legal for production"?

·
Just sayin'
4,642 Posts
OP: I would shop around and see what reputable vendors are out there that can do the milling work for you at a price you can afford. I've heard of some unscrupulous vendors that will do a fubar job or even not return the slide.

Consider buying an off the rack aftermarket slide like from Zev Technologies or Lone Wolf. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW

Reactions: nevernuffglock
1 - 20 of 64 Posts