Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have subjected a gen 3 G19 to a fair amount of normal range use over the years, and have never had an extractor fail, but I'm also aware of the possibility that "new" and "innovative" production changes Glock has introduced over the years may be motivated as much by cost-cutting as anything else, and may or may not maintain original product qualities.

With this in mind, I am wondering whether it is a good idea to replace The MIM'd OEM extractors in mid-gen 3 and later production with machined after-market extractors, and if so what are good options? Or are the MIM'd OEM completely reliable and adequate? For example would the LWD machined extractor be more reliable? (Previous to mid gen 3 production, OEM extractors were all machined, I've been told.)

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail...f+the+Week+10&utm_content=Guns+of+the+Week+10

Undoubtedly there are other producers as well; which if any of these after-market extractors would provide significant reliability improvement over the MIM'd OEM? By reliability improvement I mean lower risk of failure caused by extractor wear or breakage.

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,966 Posts
Had to put one on my gen 4 19. It nicely fixed the brass to face from "limp wristing."

·
On the Border
15,714 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the OE part. If you want to replace it to try to increase consistency of performance, look at the Apex part. Unless the OE part/gun is misbehaving, I'd leave it alone.

Parts are going to break, that's just a fact of life, and partly a function of how much they get used. I've broken both OE and aftermarket extractors. Performance and durability do not necessarily go hand in hand.

My main reason for using aftermarket extractors is use of minor power ammo, including strong/weak grip. I haven't had any durability problems with OE extractors.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If your gun is running fine, I would't worry about it. I don't think that the issue with BTF is because glock went with a MIM extractor, but that when they made the switch, specs were not maintained to the same exact measurements as they were for the machined part i.e. the specs on some of their extractor molds are off. I believe this is why some people have issues, and some don't. All a wild guess on my part, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

That said, I had two Gen 3's that had BTF issues, and was able to fix them by going with Apex extractors and the other parts they recommend. Now they run like my Gen 2 19's

Like I said though, if you aren't having issues, I wouldn't spend the money

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
The only true professional users of handguns in serious regular day-to-day life-defending service are in law enforcement. They use 100-percent stock OEM Glocks without any aftermarket "improvements" and "enhancements".

Unless you have special needs that exceed those of the LEO community, you should use always only OEM parts. They are ALWAYS more reliable than the aftermarket junk that should be used only on range toys and by gun shop commandos. :)

Reactions: Krugerand

·
Banned
814 Posts
The only true professional users of handguns in serious regular day-to-day life-defending service are in law enforcement. They use 100-percent stock OEM Glocks without any aftermarket "improvements" and "enhancements".

Unless you have special needs that exceed those of the LEO community, you should use always only OEM parts. They are ALWAYS more reliable than the aftermarket junk that should be used only on range toys and by gun shop commandos. :)
Gun Shop Commando lol :flag:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I've been using Glocks since the early 90's. I haven't had a broken extractor, not to say others may have. Since I own multiple Glocks, should I have something break, such as an extractor, I'll either use an extractor from another Glock to make the Glock I'd rather carry functional, or I'd down the broken Glock; carry a different Glock; and order a replacement part which might take from a day to a month to get, depending on the part and vendor I decide to use.

I did try an ApexTactical extractor made for a Gen3 9mm. It caused other problems, but I did find one of my Glocks which it worked in at least. I bought it for a G17Gen3. It also didn't work in a G19Gen3. But worked in a G34Gen3, which was working fine without it anyway.

When it didn't work, it was pulling the spent casing above the ejector, causing a stovepipe/FTE(eject). With sales tax, shipping, and buying a recommended spring-loaded-bearing, it was not a good use of $80.

If you want to get a spare extractor, I can only recommend getting a stock extractor to keep on hand. You might as well just get a spare Glock in a model in the same caliber with similar/identical parts, but not necessarily the same model.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.