After market extended magazine reliability

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Dave Lively, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

The only gun I normally keep loaded and out of the safe is a Remington 870 express with a 26" barrel and 4 round magazine. Not what I would have selected for this role except I bought it several years ago after a burglary. I came home to find a broken window, trashed house and my gun safe intact but smashed up so badly it could not be opened. After the police left I went to Home Depot for plywood to cover the broken window and stopped next door at Bass Pro to buy a shotgun in case the burglars decided to come back and force me to open the safe for them. Sporting shotguns were all the store had.

There have been some home invasions in Atlanta recently where 4+ men kick down a door so I want something with more capacity. I mentioned to a friend I was looking at buying a shotgun with a 7 or 8 round magazine and he offered to sell me a TacStar +5 extension for my 870 he bought a few years ago and never used because the tube extended too far beyond the muzzle of his gun.

How reliable are these big extensions? I have never heard of anyone having problems with smaller extensions but am a little worried one this big might be like big drum magazines for rifles, fun to play with at the range but not the 100% reliable magazine you want for self defense.

2. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Extended mags work fine and even Remington sells them for their guns.

I like Wilson and Vang extensions and have used both without concern through years of hard use. I have no experience with TacStar extensions. If it were me and my money, I'd look to see what brands weapon builders use and that's what I would buy.

3. MSW

MSW

I'd just take the plug out of your 870 and run it stock.

If you want extra shells put on a stock shell holder or one that fits on the receiver.

If you unload 4-5 shotgun shells at the bad guys and they keep coming, I doubt another 2-3 shots will help.

That said, if you want longer, id go with Remington brand.

4. Konigsberg13

Konigsberg13

+1 For Wilson Combat extension.

5. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

Thanks all. My concern was not so much about extensions in general as it was about a +5 extension from a company I am not familiar with. While I will pay my friend for the extension if I use it he actually offered to just give it to me since it has been sitting in his basement for "a while". When I opened the bag it had a warning that due to the recently passed crime bill president Clinton just signed attaching it to a certain shotguns could be a crime. Hopefully a blast from the past and not prediction of things to come. It had quite a bit of rust on the inside too.

I know the smaller extensions from companies like Wilson work very well. But I wonder if a +5 will. The combined mass of 9 shells in the magazine might crush the bottom shell as the gun recoils enough to swell the shell or break the crimp. A spring the long might tend to get tangled, have so much force it eventually distorts shells when the magazine is fully loaded for long periods of time or not have enough force to get the last shell in the magazine to feed properly.

I guess the best solution might be to remove the indentations from the magazine, try the extension and buy a smaller one if the +5 does not work. My shoulder might not appreciate firing enough 12 gauge buckshot rounds to be sure the +5 works though.

MSW's comment about not needing the extra capacity has merit too. If 4+ people break into my house and do not run away when shot at more rounds will probably not help that much. But they might help and I would feel better knowing they are there as long as they do not make the gun less reliable.

6. method

method

I'd rather have a shorter barrel than that, but I really doubt you'll have any issues with reliability, so long as you have a good spring. I've never heard of any issue, or any concern with the bottom shell being crushed. I don't see it happening.

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Tacstar makes a good product. A shotgun extension is so ridiculously simple that the most ardent brand whore couldn't make much of an argument to spend more.

8. aippi

aippi

You would be well served to get an 18.5" barrel and a Wilson Combat extension. Have you tried to move around your home with a 26" barrel? Any situation in your home is going to be a one or two shot deal so having 10 rounds is less important then having the ability to deploy the weapon in the close quarters of a home.

9. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

10. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

There are two major companies that produce the OEM extensions, Choate and Nordic. The Nordic extensions are beveled, smooth and what you will find on the vast majority of shotguns from the higher end competitors in 3Gun. I do not know who all they make extensions for, but they are generally the better quality higher end shotguns. They are what I have used for years and what I recommend.

Last I heard, the factory Remington extensions and nuts were sourced from Nordic Components.

Full disclosure, I am sponsored by Nordic Components, but only because they really are the best. :)

11. Hedo1

Hedo1

Nordic components are some of the best I've used. Excellent quality.

12. collim1

collim1

I agree.

Thats the beauty of the 870. Very easy to change it up with minimal tools.

For years I had an 870 Express and three barrels. A 20" rifled slug barrel for deer hunting, 18" bead sight for HD, and a 28" vent rib remchoke for clays and hunting.

I personally like the Wilson +1 extension. I am not into too many gizmos, especially on shotgun as they get really heavy really fast, but I do recommend atleast the +1 extension and a Surefire fore end. Now you will be looking at a serious HD shotgun and can still return it to hunting configuration in about 20 mins.

13. collim1

collim1

double post deleted

14. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Go with a Scattergun Technologies extension.

If you don't have a light on it, get a light on your shotgun.

If the police didn't inform you, the individuals who violated your property will be back; the percentage of returns is high. Generally there's a delay pending replacement of what was stolen. Now that there's knowledge that you have a gun safe, you can rest assured that they'll be back. They'll also return with better tools to take the safe. They will also be watching you. Count on it.

If it were me, I'd move the firearms to another location. If you've got a friend who can take them, consider that.

If you don't have a security system, again, they'll be back. Get one. If you don't have a dog, consider one.

Become unpredictable at the house, and keep your lighting on at night. Consider timers to turn on a loud appliance like a radio or television randomly at home when your'e not there.

Today, home monitoring systems and alarms that will alert you with live feed on your cell are available and affordable. Consider them.

15. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

The burglary was 15 years ago and one move ago so I think I am safe now:)

I am pretty sure the burglars were some guys my stepson met at a mall when he was visiting from out of state during his Christmas break. When I saw who he was hanging out with I was so concerned I had already scheduled to have an alarm put in when the burglary happened. At first the police seemed uninterested but after a couple of months a detective called and said the reason they could not track down the guys I suspected was because they were already in jail on other charges.

About a week after the burglary I had someone show up at my front door claiming he was a pizza delivery man going door to door trying to sell a pizza for 50% off because my neighbor ordered but refused to pay for it. I cannot prove he was trying to rob me but I did not let him in and was really glad I had gun. This was before you could watch "how to open a gun safe" videos on YouTube and the alarm was installed so my theory is they wanted me to open the safe for them.

16. PATRI8

PATRI8

I have never experienced any issues from quality mag extensions. I currently only have Nordic Component brand tubes up to plus 7. Just be sure you use the supplied spring or whatever the manufacturer recommends. I good quality low drag follower isn't a bad idea either. I should disclose these are for 3Gun use not tactical in the defense sense.

K-

17. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

I realize this is an old thread, but I just bought a choate +2 and really like it.

deputy tom likes this.
  18. UltimateGuns

UltimateGuns

I've used the Wilson/Scattergun extension, as well as the Vang Comp. Both have worked flawlessly.

Currently, the Vang Comp is the only one I stock in my store, because between the two companies, I've developed a great rapport with VCS. Not to take anything away from Wilson, but as a smaller operation, I just feel like VCS goes the extra mile to help guys like me.