After looking at 2015 silver thread I checked market. Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by larry_minn, Nov 4, 2019.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

[​IMG]
    ORDER YOUR BELOW-COST SILVER BELOW!
    [​IMG]
    1 oz Silver Eagle, 1 oz Maple Leaf,
    1 oz, 1/2 oz, and 5 1/10 oz Walking Liberty Rounds.

• Employee Pricing Silver Starter Kit – We pay SHIPPING and INSURANCE through FRIDAY
    • Pay by check, credit card, debit card, or bitcoin
    • NO Traders or Experienced Buyers Allowed – Beginners and First-Time Buyers ONLY
    • Get the same precious metals prices that our owners and employees do... extreme limited-time sale, first come, first served
    • You can order up to four additional units for our normal great rates!

It's @$80. 2-4 th same group @$85 each. (With warning final price depends on spot price when you order). Spot was +$18.08 IIRC. So @$72+ value currently?
    Debating getting it for grins. Or is a a poor value?

2. larry_minn

40 some looked. No responses. Guess I'm not the only one who does not know silver values...

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I use APMEX for checking prices. Expect to always pay 10-15% over spot.

porschedog likes this.
  4. larry_minn

So as these are privately minted. They are rounds? Worth less because they have no face value?

Guess I will pass. I just don't know enough about it.

5. Blanton

Blanton

Any hard sell of precious metals is not necessary in these times. When media is flush with sales ads you should be wondering why.
    You really need to know your research before getting into that market.

Aceman likes this.
  6. scattershot

scattershot

Spot silver was $17.00 40 years ago. Doesn’t show much of a gain.

7. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Is it even real silver? Lot of counterfeiters out there taking money from the inexperienced.

8. larry_minn

I guess was not going so much for gain. Just kinda neat. Like Kugerands. @ 10 yrs back I was wasting time in Longmont CO. Went into a coin shop. I asked a few questions, was looking around... Saw what he was charging for Kugerands... Guy comes in to cash in some Kugurends. (I forget actual prices but something like. $600 retail sale. Buying from this guy $500. Guy sells 4 IIRC says he will have to go home for 3 more, be back in a hour.....

I ALMOST followed him out, offered to meet at PD lobby in a hour and pay him $550 each for three. Cash. But I didn't. Still regret it. One Time I knew price, value... Chance to get coins...

porschedog likes this.
  9. rj1939

rj1939

If you want to do PM's, ok, do some research. I doubt you are wanting to speculate on PM's? Not a very good way to make money. Are you going to use them for a hedge? That idea has some merit.
    Seems like 90% silver coins might be handy, if you are betting on the demise of civilization, it is already denominated...............kind of eliminates the need for an assayer.

10. bdcochran

bdcochran

Larry: I don't take position on whether it is a good deal or a bad deal - for anyone other than myself. Even then, I have priorities.

Someone wants your business. So the stock market is going to tank. So the stock market is going to go up. Oh, there is no more land being made, so buy land. Being on social security, I am constantly barraged with offers of free seminars, free lunches, free dinners.

Example. My dad was a sucker for those things. As the excutrix of the estate said, he would always make a purchase after going to a seminar.

or

Example: An older female friend would have me go with her to seminars. Do you know what an REIT is? A group of people put their money together. A manager (who also just happens to be the manager of the property to be purchased and who can chose his friends as suppliers and employees) will buy the building. No, you cannot sell the building. You do not decide when the building will be sold. You will only have an interest in the investment - and it is considered illiquid because no one will want to buy your personal share. So, I watched all the older people chomping at the bit to invest and get 16% (historic, but not guaranteed) rate of return. Not one person ever asks the following: "If I get sick and need the money, how can I get my money out?" You can't unless a flinty eye person figures out the real value of your investment and discounts his offers subtantially. These are the same people who buy timeshares.

If a person thinks the risk of losing money by investing in silver is slight and that it will go up and be able to make a profit, do it. But only, if it is high on your priorities. And, only if you have to the ability to buy.

If I want to buy silver, I get in the car, drive 5 miles to a brick and mortar store, to a licensed business with which I have dealt with for many years. There is no sales tax on like $1500 spent on silver bullion. I don't have to research sellers in a small town or have to look up the bios somehow.

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

American Eagles, Canadian Maples, etc, are not privately minted. I would totally avoid anything that appears to be privately minted. What's the point? Even if you believe they are legit reselling may be more difficult and will likely hurt value.

Stick to big sellers like Apmex, they are 100% legit.

I consider PMs not a good investment, they are strictly a hedge/prep against economic collapse. My freaking 401k is up like 20% this year and I'm not even very aggressive in my portfolio. I'm starting to get a little nervous actually. The fed is pumping and stocks are in the "irrational exuberance" mode and have been for awhile.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  12. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I, too, have dealt successfully with Apmex.

13. PeterG

PeterG

Yeah but 20 years ago it was $8.00 and I bought at 8.00 and sold at $39.00 made a bit then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scattershot likes this.
  14. grumpy1

grumpy1

If you want to have some because you think they are cool for personal ownership enjoyment then go for it. I bought some Silver Eagles off Ebay a few yeas ago for that reason when silver was about $15.

15. Pluto57

Pluto57

Depends on why you want silver. If you're gearing up for the apocalypse and are going to use it for barter, I'd stick to good old pre-1965 American coins and silver eagles.

bdcochran likes this.
  16. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

If things are broken down to the point we are bartering in PMs again, you will have greater concerns. Society would of broken down, and would be rebuilding at that point. It’s the in between part that would cause me the most concern.

17. Aceman

Aceman

Precious metal is not a bad prep. Get small denominations. Hard to barter of 1oz that is theoretically worth a lot.

And precious metal is a good investment for 5-10% of your net worth / savings incase of economic collapse etc...

18. bdcochran

bdcochran

The "good deal" is individual in nature. It is like buying stock. You "pay" either when you buy or when you sell or maybe both times. Someone has to be willing to sell and someone has to be willing to buy.

As this is a survival forum, if I disregard religious scruples and focus on what works as a medium of exchange or barter, identifiable metal items with an agreed value can be a medium of exchange. You can store inexpensive knives which don't take up much room. You can store pint bottles of drinking alcohol which don't take up much room. I also came up with restoring old hand tools that would be useful after shtf and the use of which could be bartered.

19. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I have been meaning to get into silver for a while now. I need to get motivated