close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Afraid to fly with Regional Carriers?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BigChuck73, Feb 9, 2010.

1. BigChuck73

BigChuck73 Registered Lurk

All the recent news about the Buffalo flight that went down last year has highlighted some concerns with regional carriers.

I have a flight to Myrtle Beach in March and I'm seriously considering just driving.

Thoughts? Any regional pilots here?

2. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

BIL is a pilot with major airline, flys 757's. He will not fly on a Regional, nor will he allow family to fly them either. 'Nuff said, IMHO.

3. Openroadracer

Openroadracer

Delta lands on a taxiway in ATL, Northwest overflys MSP by 100+ miles, Southwest has overrun the end of the runway several times, BUR and Midway (with fatalities), Continental off the runway in Denver, and American has crashed at least four aircraft in the last 20 years due to pilot error.

Mistakes are made at all levels.

4. scottish

scottish

Watch the Frontline documentary on Colgan Air - you will most likely drive...:wow:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  5. BigChuck73

I just saw the 10 minute exerpt.....yea... I'm already thinking of driving.
    10 hours in a car....versus 5 hours total airport/air time....sounds like a no brainer to me...

6. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Mid-air collision involving three planes last weekend in Boulder, CO.

7. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Risks are greater on regional than on main-line. Statistcs will bear that out. Much of that statistic hinges on the simple fact that take-offs and landings are the riskiest part of any flight. A typical RJ will make 10-12 cycles in a given day while a 757 at AA averages 3.8 cycles per day. ("Hmmm...how does he know that stat? Might he have been on the inside?")
    That said, your regional flight there will still be the safest part of your trip.
    Regionals are held to the same "highest duty of care" that the majors are.

The average regional's aircraft is half the age of the average mainline aircraft.

8. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

<--- survived many a Scare Worst (SkyWest) regional flight. They managed to deploy the landing gear each flight I was on... :rofl:

9. raven11

raven11

i was on a Delta Connections flight, as we were boarding. Jet fuel started leaking from the belly. we were evacuated with emergency vehicles around us. they tried to find a backup aircraft and failed so we all reboarded the aircraft and just kept the APU off. in the words of the pilot. "it seemed to stop leaking "

never again

10. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

Good stuff. I fly regionals quite often and will continue to do so. It's safer than driving, and often cheaper, too.

11. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I've made some long drives. Anything I can't get to within a day or two is just too far away from home anyway.

12. BigChuck73

I appreciate your post! So question - do you believe a 23 year old pilot/first officer has what it takes in the event of an emergency?

Would you / do you fly regionals?

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Not after flying Haitian Air.

After bribing our way onto the full DC-3 we sat in the sweltering sun while our "pilots" sat staring in bewilderment at the dials and controls. Finally after much discussion and head scratching the engines turn over, and over, and over one at a time. More sitting in the tropical sun while pilot talks on the radio. Some 10-15 minutes later an Army private comes running out to the plane with, I kid you not, "DC-3 Operating Manual" under his arm and takes it to the pilots. Another ten minutes while they consult the manual and finally they get the engines started. The stewardess closes the rear door and we're off. The flight to Cap Haitien was uneventful except we seemed to be lower than the mountains we were flying through. We finally get to Cap Haitien and the pilot makes what seemed like a strafing run on the airport. As we zoom by 100 feet above the runway I see it is littered with 55 gallon drums. The pilot climbs back to 1,000 feet or so and we can see green uniformed soldier running out to roll the drums off the runway. Seems they were having a little dispute with the Domincan Republic and the drums were to prevent hostile aircraft from landing and attacking the airport. The low pass was to allow the soldiers at the airport to do a visual ID.

As exciting as that was everyone we talked still said, "Whatever you do don't take the bus back over the mountains". We didn't and the flight back was uneventful.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

WTF? They don't have windows?

15. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

So is the pilot!! :rofl:

16. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

i fly, and I like it.

when its my time to die, its my time to die

17. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

To save 5 hours, it's not worth it, I'd definatly drive, I like having my life in my own hands.

18. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Well, I'm a pilot at a regional airline. As my username would imply, I was a firefighter in a former life to help pay for college where I got a 4-year degree in professional flight. In many ways I wish I was still doing the firefighting gig, as my quality of life was somewhat better. The work rules are better at some regional carriers than others, and fortunately I'm at one of the better ones. I say better because none are great. Even the mainline jobs aren't what they once were, and several mainline pilots have told me to get out while I'm young (26) and that their kids won't be following in their footsteps. I believe the Sullenberger can be heard saying that as well in his address to Congress. I haven't seen the PBS show yet, but I hope to catch it soon. I know that what I read in USA Today a few days ago about pilots and maintenance was somewhat misleading. Folks, the media in this country tends to sensationalize the news to help it sell, and nobody should understand that better than gun people. In any group of professionals in any field, you're going to have a few idiots. It's almost statistically impossible to do. The only example I can think of that would be exempt would be astronauts. I doubt there are very many mediocre astronauts. Regardless, you will find these people flying anything from a Dash 8 to a 777. Despite what you're told, legacy carriers have been known to hire first officers straight from a regional, even with low time. It's not the norm, but depending on who you know in the HR department it can happen, and indeed has in the past. Mainline pilots typically are older and have more hours than regional pilots. Where do you think they got those hours? I'm not defending the current system in any way. Just realize that the FAA does not distinguish between a "regional" pilot and a "mainline" pilot. All the laws refer to a "pilot," period. Training and maintenance are also just as stringent at regional airlines.

The media also ignored the fact that ONE mainline crash in November 2001 killed more people than ALL of the U.S. Regional crashed combined since then. Most of you will recall the American Airlines Airbus where the mainline pilot made an incorrect control input and the plane crashed. Someone explained it here earlier that Regionals do more t/o's and ldgs than mainline carriers. When regional carriers were doing less flights and mainline carriers were doing more you heard about more mainline crashes and less regional crashes. How many times has Southwest been in the news for negligent maintenance or taking one off the runway somewhere? Anyone here remember the Chicago incident? Anybody on here live near Little Rock where American Airlines took an MD80 off the runway? No pilot is immune from mistakes. I could go on, but for now I'll cut this short. Think about how the media twists their already somewhat inaccurate facts with stories dealing with firearms, and then replace firearms with airplanes. Sensationalism sells, and they know it.

19. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I have two friends who work in aviation maintenance. One worked with Jet Blue and Southwest, the other worked for a regional carrier in Canada before being hired by Pratt and Whitney on their corporate fleet.

Neither fly. Ever.

20. jhall

jhall

I haven't seen this, but I just flew on two flights operated by Colgan Air. lol. Whats the deal?