close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Affordable future classic car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, Sep 22, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Is there a car you can buy today, for a reasonable price, which you can use as a daily driver, which you expect to become a future classic?

I am thinking the answer is no, but I wanted to ask since I am not a car nut.

Define future classic: Something that is cool to have now. Cool in 10 years. Cool in 20 years. Cool really cool in 30 years. And just gets cooler as time goes on.

Affordable, this eliminates most top end sports cars. If it costs as much as a house it is out.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

Other, than the high-end stuff, I can't get past anything later than the 70s for classics, even for the future.

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

possibly a Mercedes Coupe. Either that or a Ford F-350

4. elsolo

elsolo

What's cool is subjective, what's popular in antique cars changes, and prices follow popularity.

There are certainly many late model cars available today that are at the bottom of their depreciation curve. The problem with daily driving a car and, holding onto it for future value, is the perpetual maintenance you got to keep throwing at it during the appreciation phase. I have been driving the same chevelle for 20 yrs, but not daily for the last 10.

5. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

Look at what crowd will be in the age group with extra money at that time. Most of them would have been in the import rea of the late 90s early 2000. I would be looking into some of the cars from that area. Low miles and stock version of these cars.

Supra
    RX7
    Integra Type R

6. ABNGTO

ABNGTO

2004-06 Pontiac GTO. Check it out. Alot of them out there are modified, you can find a stck, low milage car for 15-18k.

7. RWBlue

I kind of agree with you, but....
    A classic HUGE boat of a Cadillac with big fins was cool the day it came off the lot and is still cool today. Now it isn't what I would want to drive, but..

A Bug Eyed sprite was cool off the lot and is still cool. Again, not something I would drive.

The Big muscle cars was cool off the lot and is still cool. Again, not something I would drive.

The classic Toyoda truck was indestructible which made it cool off the lot and is still cool. Again, not something I would drive.

VW Bug convertible was cool off the lot and is still cool. Again, not something I would drive because I am not a girl.

8. RWBlue

I am thinking new.

And at least for me the Pontiac GTO doesn't look like a standout in the current market.

9. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

Maybe a new Boss 302. Any Corvette or Camaro. They will always be classics. If used, maybe a GTO,G8,Cobra,Impala SS or a Grand National.

10. elsolo

elsolo

If you are thinking NEW cars, you will take a depreciation loss, doesn't matter how cool or timeless the car is.

What cars do stand out in the current market, for you?

11. RWBlue

First off this is a learning exercise for me.

IF, IF someone points out a car/truck which I think will be cool and remain cool for a lifetime, I might just buy it and keep it for a lifetime.

With that assumption, I am willing to take the depreciation in exchange for knowing what the car has been through and having the warranty.

Or to put it a different way, I have a couple friends who bought cars new and have kept them for a very long time. Now they are classics and don't get driven every day, but they were and are classics. Triump 63?, Porsche 911 (when a 911 was a 911), a full sized boat of a car that might be a Pontiac, old Jag. I don't have one of these cars that are going to be classic. I have been very practical. I consider my vehicles expendable and use them as such.

12. jollygreen

jollygreen

Nobody can answer that question.

Do you think that, back in the mid 70s when hot rodders were selling their '67 GTOs, '66 SS Chevelles, '68 Road Runners for pennies on the dollar, that they imagined those same cars going for, in some cases, $100,000?

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Yeah. It kills me my wife bot a 69 Nova for $100 once. Ran it near dead and then my BIL cut the roof off and drove it as a convertible for a summer.

My father scrapped a 72 Duster for $0.

Argh!!!!

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

Maybe this is too general --

If you look back at the cars that "turned into classics"

Say maybe Mustang, Chevelle, GTO, Charger

They were produced / sold in large numbers AND they had something special about them -

So young "kids" maybe not even old enough to drive - or maybe just starting to drive - WANTED THEM but since they were new cars at the time - they could not afford to buy them.

When they do grow up a little they still recall wanting one - maybe they do buy one when it is 7 years old - drive the wheels off it / wreck it -

But 20 years later they still recall how great it was driving/ owning THAT CAR.

So they now have the available extra cash to buy it - fix it up and keep it as a collector- and since so many of them were built a few are still available in reasonable condition.

IMHO - it is the seeds that get planted in the young car enthusiasts - that will determine which car becomes a classic.

Hate to say it - but maybe a Honda Civic Si - Toyota Celica - Mazda3, Acura RSX are possible future classics.
    :dunno:

EDIT - or it could be the future "classics" will not even be cars - but cell phones - kids today don't really care about cars as much as they do their GD phone - so it could be an IPhone 4S as a future classic.:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  15. jp3975

jp3975

Dodge Challenger

Seriously, for your purpose, I think that's the car.

You cant throw a stone in a parking lot without hitting a mustang. You see plenty of Camaros too.

Seems to me the Challenger may be the rarer of the average person's sports car in 30 years.

After Challenger, Id say Camaro, followed by Mustang.

16. Left-Right

Left-Right

If under $50,000 is considered affordable, then a 2008 BMW M6 Coupe would be my bet for a future classic. V-10, over 500 hp, manual trans. High-end interior parts.
    Re-sale sucks as it was over $100,000 new, but the depreciation slope from this point forward looks favorable.

One spirited ride will convince you that it's the real deal. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver but would definitely consider keeping it as a third car. Who's to say in 20-25 years what it would bring, but BMW isn't making V-10s anymore.

17. RWBlue

If this is the case, I will continue to do what I have done and not plan on having a "I bought this car new back in ...." story.

18. RWBlue

It has possibilities. V-10 is unique in itself.

It looks big enough to hold luggage for a trip.
    Fast enough to run with any traffic.
    The biggest issue is that it is not new. Then again $100K is more than I want to put into a vehicle.

19. Left-Right

Left-Right

The nice thing about buying used cars in that price range is that the original owner probably took really good care of it, so new vs. used-low miles, always garaged, etc.-shouldn't be that big a deal if you find the right one.

20. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

My Trans Am is 13 years old, and still my daily driver. Not sure if it'll ever be a classic, but it is to me.
    -Joel