close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Affiliate program website??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GlockCarry, Jun 5, 2006.

1. GlockCarry

GlockCarry

I need to find a home-based business and have been looking into the affiliate program (ap) business model. The good: residual income. The bad: in order to justify the time and effort to develop this, more insight is needed. In other word, what are the odds of this working? I've been looking for case histories or success stories but no luck so far.

I've seen books online specific to this concept, but anybody can write a book and they usually do.

Are there any inet forums that would likely address this ap model?

I would appreciate any feedback on this (or any other home-based business) that doesn't require major pc skills.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Well, I can't help you with AP networking (I have yet to see it succeed in any real way personally--many clients do this but apparently most just recoup their Web hosting fees) but I DO know of one old couple that have an RV and a high-speed satellite uplink for their Web connection.

They aren't spending their retirement fund anymore...they travel, constantly scouring the hock shops and swap meets in their area to get items for $20 and less; they then offer the stuff on eBay for at least %50 more than they paid as a start.

These folks cleared about $70 grand last year, from all accounts...

But there are potential downsides to this model. Sometimes things do not get a single bid. They then get stuck paying for the auction and wind up either storing the item in their travel trailer or selling it to friends at price or a slight loss.

And you have to go to every garage sale, estate sale, yard sale, clearance sale, swap meet and flea market every weekend to get access to the huge drift of trash wherein one or two real treasures await. It's reputedly an art.

Me, I build and repair PC's for a living, and do Web Design, market analysis ect., plus I sell on eBay, so I already found my home biz.

Good luck to you.

Eric

3. GlockCarry

GlockCarry

Thank you for your input Eric. The affiliate pgm. venture really looks like an up hill battle.

I've got a few inet how-to auction books and will try that, if nothing other than moving a large list of things I have and don't need. You've really got to love shopping to follow your retired couples example. ha

The one thing that I've found with looking into auctions is that the ideal setup would be if a person produced/manufactured their own items, such as art work or anything unique or on the "hot list" of items in demand that ebay posts.

I belive there's a way to link to your website from your auctions without violating the rules. But I'm sure you already know that.

Thanks again

4. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

If you think about why you or other people will click through affiliate links and buy products... it's because you're on a web site that offers education, expertise or information. While you're there, you see a link for a related product, and you trust the site because of its credibility. In order for that to happen, you have to BE on the site in the first place in order to know there are even products available.

I have a "products page" on my web site, and with the exception of my own book, ALL of the products are affiliate links. I do make a TINY bit of revenue from that, but not much. It's just a bit of "extra" cash with no work involved. Honestly, I probably make less than $1,000 a year from all my affiliate programs combined.

I would say that the only reason I'm making ANY money through my affiliate program is because all the products that I affiliate with have something to do with my core competency. They all have something to do, directly or indirectly with organizing, simplifying, productivity, etc. It makes sense. If I were affiliate selling organizing products, pet products, fashion accessories, vitamins, etc. it wouldn't make sense. These products have nothing to do with my core business, and it would erode my credibility.

I think people click through to buy because they're already on my web site and based on my position as an industry expert, they trust me.

I don't believe that just setting up a web page with a whole bunch of random affiliate programs will work. The reason I say that is because there is no draw to come to your site except to BUY things. And that's not a draw.

If you're not offering expertise, information or education to draw people to your site in the first place, just selling stuff won't get traffic to your site, IMO. People will go to Amazon, Yahoo, Ebay or a specific retailer and buy direct.

I hope this is helpful and you don't think I'm just being negative.

Shoeless

5. GlockCarry

GlockCarry

Shoeless, thanks for your info. I had been thinking in terms of building a site around one specific theme. This would need to be one that could act as a clearing house of info and links to related sites...the type of sites that generate enough inet sales to make it profitable for an affiliate site.

So it would be a matter of deciding what product(s) or services were the hotest. In any case, it appears to be too much of a gamble to spend the time and effort. Oh well, it's still a clever concept, but being doable is another story.

6. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

I see. If you're choosing a particualar theme, that will certainly help! I misunderstood your intention.

Shoeless