close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AED Advice? Purchasing Unit for our Range

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by AAshooter, Mar 21, 2006.

1. AAshooter

AAshooter

I am looking at purchasing a Automated External Defibrillator for our range. Has anyone been through the selection/qualification process in purchasing one of these units? Any suggestions on how to select one that will meet the needs of the range and be a reliable/quality unit with low maintenance costs?

I am hoping to leverage the experience of others.

2. TxFire

TxFire

Though I have never been involved with choosing one, my one thought would be to get the one that is most obvious to the normal untrained person as to how it operates. Some I know have voice prompts and that would be HIGH on my list. We carry them on every Engine/Truck except Paramedic Engine/Truck companies. Being assigned to a Paramedic Truck or Ambulance the last few years, I have not looked at one in a while.

3. ke9xf

ke9xf

I am a Former EMT. I have been working on getting AED's into the Postal Service here in Central Indiana. The two units that i like the best are CR PLus by Medtronic (LIFEPACK) or the Cardiac Science one. The reason we chose the CRPLUS is because of LIFEPACKS longevity in the defibrillator business. I"m still trying to convince the people in charge to put them into the Postal Service.

Sarge

4. kyfirefreak

kyfirefreak

My suggestion would be for the Lifepack CR Plus. A couple businesses in our area use them & it seems they work wonderfully. I saw one used one once & it was quick & easy. I know Medtronic's service is great as well. Lifepaks are all any FD, EMS, or almost PD's in our area use.

5. mtncat

mtncat

If this is a "typical" govt. purchase you are going to end up with what ever is low bid, regardless of which one you want! Use to tick me off that ALL of our equipment was low bid!

6. AAshooter

AAshooter

Good News . . . private range . . . private board . . . we make our own decisions.

7. nautiquemt22

nautiquemt22

if you haven't already found out, AED's are somewhat expensive. expecially for a private purchase. a lot of these manufacturers offer refurbs, which isn't a bad idea, they still have warranties and stuff from the factory. probably cost about 2-3k less. and for your range, thats an expensive dust cloth. nothing bad, but they are hardly used. (unless in an ems field.) my .02 would be HeartStream. i've used them with a couple of jobs and they are on all of our 15 bls units. lifepacks are good too. i can't speak for their aed's, we use their monitors on als, but they are a very strong and large company with pleanty of money to spend doing R&D. thats important too....longevity

also something very important to consider, when you shop around, make sure you purchase something that ANYBODY can use, because you don't know if something will happen and if the wrong person grabs it (as in un-trained) the right thing will still happen. if you get to test them before you buy them, put yourself in a 5yo mindframe and see if you can manage to successfully use them.

most will come with voice prompts and flashing buttons, and also wont allow the wrong button being pushed to work..you don't want to be able to shock when no shock is needed.

8. akulahawk

akulahawk

AED's are a bit expensive. Like others have said, check into getting a refurb. unit. They are usually less costly and may have a warranty on them.

My personal suggestion is to check with the local EMS responders to see what Defib units they have. If they're using any sort of a "hands-off" pad (typical of AED's) get an AED that uses pads that their defib will be compatible with. This makes it easy for them to simply detach the cable from the AED and plug it into their own unit and keep going. If you do this, you might be able to put a big label on it that says "Compatible with (their brand defib)" without obstructing anything else.

If they use paddles or several different brands and/or models of defib units, then just get an AED that meets your needs. My 2 needs: Simple and Reliable. I should not have to try to figure out how to use the danged thing. Seriously. Place the pads, plug it in, press analyse (if not full auto unit) and shock when/if indicated (if not full auto unit).

When I was an EMTP intern, I used a Zoll that was an AED when you turned it on and could be changed to manual mode with a key. Only Medics had the key. EMT-D's could only use the AED mode. My favorite Defib unit (so far) is the Zoll M-series. Alas, they're not for public use. :shakehead:

I've tried LP-10 series, LP-12 Series, Zoll M-series, and an older Zoll defib.

For a monitor (no defib) I still like the Propaq Encore...:supergrin:

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play with "consumer" AED's much.

In addition to my usual sig...
    EMT and Paramedic for 6+ years - currently stuck in non-medical job.
    :brickwall: <---How I feel about it.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

Here is my suggestion. This is coming from someone who is an EMT. There are many different models that I have worked with. We have a heart stream at work, as well as a Zoll, on the volly dept we have a heartstart. When I went through EMT class we used the AED's that were made by the company that makes the life packs. They all have their pro's and con's.

Here's the bottom line. Look at what is being used by the agency that will respond to your range. That way when they show up they don't have to take the pads off. They just have to unplug your unit and plug theirs in and go. Remeber, it's often not the gadgets that save lives but time. And the more time you can save in a cardiac call the better off you are.

All the county rigs here carry AED's that use the same paddles as the Lifepacks, that way when AMR get's here they just unplug paddles and plug theirs in and go.

10. Parmaboy

Parmaboy

A lot of people are going to have a preference because that is what they use. Most AED's are simple and self explainatory. They are made so that they either have voice prompts or clear instructions some how. So since that does help, go to the next most helpful thing besides price. IS IT COMPATABLE WITH LOCAL EMS MONITORS? Here at Cleveland EMS our Fire Dept. uses AED's with patches that are compatible with our monitor. All we have to do is a simple disconnect and connect it into ours. It makes it easier and nicer. You may say it only saves 30 seconds, but that can mean a life to somoene. So basically find something cheap and possibly compatible with local EMS