Ady Gil Captain admits the boat was scuttled

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by frank_drebin, Oct 7, 2010.

1. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

The Captain of the Sea Shepard anti-whaling boat "Ady Gil" now admits that he was ordered to scuttle the ship in order to bolster public sympathy. The ship was struck by a Japanese Whaling Ship in January and sunk two days later. It was believed that the ship sunk as a result of the collision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11490958

[​IMG]

2. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Interesting...but not surprising in the least. The "Whale Wars" bunch are all first class media whores.

3. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Go figure. Wonder what else they lie about on a regular basis.

4. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

when you board a ship at high sea, isn't it piracy?

5. bluenoise

bluenoise

How much harm did the sunken boat cause to the ecosystem and whales?

I wonder if they filed an insurance claim on it and how does this affect it if they did?

6. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

7. Adams454

Adams454

It's not really a real lie if you tell it to help. It's just like all the people that stage hate crimes against themselves to raise awareness. :rofl:

8. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Well Duh! I called that as soon as I saw the footage.

9. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

He didn't "admit" - he "alleges". It's not fact yet (not standing up for either side, but I did read the article).

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Wrong. He admitted Watson ordered him to sink the boat. It's "alleged" because Watson is denying it. The video from the Shonan Maru is indisputable, the Ady Gil rammed the whaling ship. I think the Shonan Maru's original intention was to make a very close pass to allow the water cannons to hose down the crew at the stern of the Ady Gil which was still a dangerous and irresponsible maneuver on the part of the Shonan Maru's captain. Of course if I'd had to put up with what he had that day and others before it I would have been sorely tempted to aim dead center for it and firewall the throttles.

11. 2bgop

2bgop

I watched that episode. They cut it loose because it was sinking slowly and they were towing it. I guess they did something to cause it to sink after the cut it loose or did they do something to it to cause it to start going down?

From a PR stand point, I would have done everything possible to get it back to port and use it as a fund raising tool. They could have had a whole FR campaign to get it back on the water by next season.

12. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

Well, he was the captain of the boat. He says he scuttled it. I think that's an admission. I see your point but to me it would be different if he claimed that someone else did it..

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Yeah, they rammed a 500 ton steel whaling ship with an 80 foot carbon fiber toy. That usually sends the toy to the bottom.

The article doesn't make it clear but I think he's admitting the whole thing was staged.

14. 2bgop

2bgop

Yeah, I know they did, I watch the show. I was just asking if they did something to it to help sell the story that it was going to anyway, so the cut it loose.

15. Adjuster

Adjuster

Clearly from the photo that ship is destroyed from the wreck. Scuttled or not.

16. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

If he's talking just about after the collision scuttling would have been the right thing to do after realizing it wouldn't survive being towed to anywhere. On the show they show them just cutting it adrift and watching it disappear over the horizon to become a menace to navigation. Where they were the chance of anyone ramming it in the middle of the night was slim but I still think scuttling it would have been the more responsible thing to do. Of course they felt it was more important to resume their chase of the whalers than take the time to do the safe and prudent thing. Asshats all of them.

17. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that terrorists would lie!

18. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Me too.

Even before the boats collided, it was already becoming obvious that Paul Watson was a lier just from watching his comments whenever he talked to media people from his ship. After seeing him lie (claiming not to have attacked the Japanese boats or done anything put them in danger) during phone conversations like that, it didn't surprise me that he would engineer the whole collision incident as a PR maneuver, and even LESS surprising that he'd later back-stab the guy who sacrificed his boat to the cause.

It's too bad, because the "Earth Race" boat (Ady Gil's original name when it served a different purpose) was a pretty cool bit of engineering and I'd have liked to see it set some more records.

To waste such an advanced boat on a bogus TV stunt was a real shame, and I can't believe Paul Watson apparently didn't think the world would see through it. If they hadn't wrecked the boat, they could have easily saved a lot more whales with it - they were obviously kind of crippled without it - and that's another point where Paul Watson's stupidity was really hard to believe.

It would have been better to sink the Steve Erwin instead - that rusty old tub can hardly get out of it's own way.

19. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Don't worry, Bob Barker will just write another check! :wavey:

20. varmint6

varmint6

they were not putting that back in the water after that hit
    I mean damn somebody could get hurt playing like that you know..