Advice

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Peace Frog, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Peace Frog

Peace Frog ...............

Thought I'd post this where people actually know what they are doing.

I'm new to all this but would like to know the best digital calera to buy.I like to take wildlife,people and landscape photos.
    I'm looking to spend no more than $2500 on a starter kit.

Thanks!:)

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Do you want a point and shoot or a dSLR?

Do you already own a film SLR? What lenses do you have? Some can be used with dSLRs.

How much are you prepared to spend on lenses if you go with the dSLR? (Trust me: you will want more and more and more...)

How much of a background do you have with photography? I knew nothing two years ago. Today, I can't get my hands on enough books/websites/materials in my quest to perfect my skills.

For $2500 you can buy a really nice kit with either Nikon or Canon. Look at the lenses and see which mount you prefer. You won't go wrong with either but you will be locked into one of the two after buying.

For that kind of variety in shots, you will want a few lenses. Most people prefer a wide angle (10-20mm or even shorter, especially if used on a crop body) for landscapes. You will need a longer lens (200mm or longer) for a lot of animals. A lot of people prefer primes (50mm, 85mm, 135mm) for portraits.

I would suggest buying the kit lens if you go with Canon. It is capable of getting some great shots but like any lens, you have to learn it's limitations and stregnths. Lots of people criticize it but you are not going to find any other zoom lens for about $75 that lets you get started. Notice what legnth you tend to use the most with it. Later, you will learn if it is too long or too short and it will point you on your way to other lenses. Also, pick up the 50mm 1.8 for about $80 from Canon. It is sharp, fast and a great lens. It is my favorite. (I don't know Nikons but if you are considering them, Nipperwolf and I think TJ Harless here use them)

Go to a store and play with both Nikons and Canons. See which feels better in *your* hands. For me, part of the draw of Canon was the smaller and lighter body of the XT. Lots of people complain it feels like a toy. There are no wrong answers, just like guns: go with what will suit your needs better.

A great Canon resource is http://photography-on-the.net and you will find several of us over there. I am sure there is an equally great board for Nikons but I don't know what it is.

To buy, stick with the best: B&H, Amazon (but pay attention to which vendor if applicable), Keh, Adorama and Calumet (?) gets the best reviews. I use Amazon, B&H and Adorama. Last night I placed another order with B&H. :)

3. Aaron S

Aaron S

I don't want to recommend a brand or camera other than to say go with Nikon or Canon. Current model popular cameras are the Nikon D80 and D200 or Canon XTi and 30d. I suggest reading up on the cameras you are considering and then make sure to find each of them and play with it before buying anything.

Aaron