Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

What brand do you recommend?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've made this topic for advice on my first firearm purchase. I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina and not yet allowed by law to own firearms, for which you have to be 21. Now, B&H is not an EU member yet, because of which a lot of EU based manufacturers stopped exporting here (some firearm regulations and laws are not the same).

The only available firearm brands are Beretta, Glock, Steyr, Zastava and some knock-off brands like Tanfoglio and Taurus. Well, Beretta is too expensive, Zastava, Tanfoglio and Taurus I would not trust my life with, so the only options left are Glock and Steyr. The price for both is roughly the same, Glock 19's and Steyr M9's in 9mm are about $820 (1300 BAM). Any help is appreciated.

Note: There are US brands, but they only offer hunting rifles.

·
woo woo
31,358 Posts
Glock. It’s easier to find parts and accessories for. It’s also easier to service yourself.
I have an M9-A1 and like it a lot, but if I could only have one it would be a Glock. View attachment 378508
I agree with the above. I like the steyr and consider it a better pistol in many regards, but the Glock is also excellent and far better supported in parts/accessories worldwide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies, the thing that worries me is gen. 5 reliability, I've seen a lot of reviews of the new generation and some people complain calling it half-ass and not built as good as the earlier models, but in 4 years I hope there will be some long term reliability tests. The earlier gen. 4 models also had problems as I can remeber.

·
9mm Kind of Guy
308 Posts
I'd go for Glock ... lots of aftermarcket parts and great firearm out of the box ...
great customer service too

Reactions: jm56

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
I can't think of a better first handgun then a Glock.

Reactions: jm56

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would go with Glock since it's a good reliable gun, and the aftermarket support will be much better: holsters, magazines, repairs, parts, etc..

Reactions: Quade and jm56

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
@refugeepj Thanks for the advice, a lot of my family members own firearms, so I know about gun safety, I mean if there's one thing we're good at here in the Balkans, it's shooting.
whatever your choice, enjoy, and welcome.
expect to get GLOCK as the decision here, but the choice has to fit your desire and needs.
as personal as what skivvies you decide to wear, the pistol needs to fit your lifestyle.
if possible, shoot both before you decide.
my 10mm Glocks got me here, and i have no regret. those two pistols forced me to address some weaknesses i have, not the least of which is arthritis in my hands and wrists.
i had to become better fundamentally. it made me a better shooter.

·
Registered
33,217 Posts
Beretta is too expensive
I vote Glock, but want to say the initial purchase cost of a firearm diminishes over time as you shoot it.

If I liked A better than B, but purchased B for being less expensive... Over time I am spending a lot more money on ammo. So which gun would I rather be putting ammo into?

Calculate your expected ammo costs and range fees over the next 5 or 10 years, then decide which gun you'd rather be spending that money on and putting in the time with :)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I agree with Ithaca. I assume(?) that is more difficult to own a large number of firearms there. Quality over quantity then. If it takes some extra time to buy what you truly want, it'd be worth it.

Are there any methods where you are to try several firearms?

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Personally, after years of owning, shooting and competing with Glocks.....I've moved on. So, I'd go with the Steyr. Better all around gun, shoots flatter, better trigger and better stock sights.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.