Advice to the new police academy graduate...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by RussP, Jun 28, 2019.

1. skorper

skorper harborrat

Assume you are being video recorded all the time, everywhere. Act accordingly.

When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "if it all goes south and ends up in Federal Court, which course of action would be most defensible during cross examination? Act accordingly.

2. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Check if it's too late to get tuition refunded if you're paying your own way...

Randy

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. lawandorder

lawandorder

At the end of a 3 hour block on the history & culture of LE that I teach to basic classes at an academy I leave them with these things that imho are necessary for
    Officers. In no particular order;

A strong knowledge of the law.
    A career commitment to keeping fit always.
    A strong knowledge of firearms and other weapons that can hurt or kill you.
    A strong adherence to vehicle safety.
    A strong knowledge of people and their behavior.
    A strong faith.
    A strong knowledge of non verbal communications.
    An ability to remain calm and the ability to calm others.

Some of them I had to learn the hard way.
    1976-2017.

RussP and boyscoutG36 like this.
  4. Firecop203

Firecop203

Apply for all the job related schools that the department provides. I was involved in a civil rights violation lawsuit and the attorneys asked for my training records. After reading my file with the course certificates during discovery and deposition the case was dismissed.

In my state the new laws come into effect November 1 of every year. I made it a point to attend a legal update every year.

I always felt comfortable using personally owned equipment. It was department authorized and I still had to qualify with it, but I know the condition of it and how well it was maintained. The only thing that wasn’t mine was the uniforms and the car.

Join a local gun club and learn to shoot competition. When I was active we had to qualify twice a year and the course was always the same. No realism at all. There are different levels and classifications. I always stayed in the class that allowed me to use duty style configured weapons. I got the best experience with three gun competition and became a B class shooter.

Once you investigate a few accidents create a form file. I made accident report forms with the intersections across town already drawn. All I had to do was make some measurements, and fill in the vehicle diagrams with a template.

With today’s technology, try to create forms with a PDF format. There are affordable Adobe programs that will let you scan a form. Use it as a master form and fill in the blanks as needed. The forms can be given names or case numbers and stored on a thumb drive and saved. Then they can printed or emailed as needed.

I created a file system for reports. I carried a file organizer in my organizer bag. I had a file for all the report forms that would be needed for each incident. It was broken down to each for needed for a burglary, each for an accident, assault, information etc. saved a LOT of time.

Speaking of the bag, I had an organizer bag of the front passenger seat of my car. It had extra cuffs, drug test kits, binoculars, my files and forms, extra ammo and magazines. Paint for marking the streets at accidents, scene tape, extra flashlight and batteries, first aid kit. Clipboard and ticket book. I also had a small dictionary and a Pocket Pal reference guide that is packed with information from many various subjects and a notebook with the department policy and procedures and city ordinances.

It’s been touched on about where to eat and drink. I never accepted free stuff. There were times I had stopped employees of the local 7-11 store and the first thing they mention was that they offered free drinks. (Hint, hint) My personal policy was to buy a bottle drink. First I was sure it wasn’t tampered with, second, it couldn’t be used against me as freebie for a favor. I always used the excuse that I had to have a drink in a bottle with a lid to avoid spilling it if driving erratic during a chase. It was a valid reason and it didn’t hurt their feelings that they were trying to be nice by giving away a free drink.

5. dano1427

dano1427

6. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I'm getting ready to give it a helluva try.

steveksux likes this.
  7. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Don't quit, don't ever quit.