Advice on working the slide release?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jkrispies, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jkrispies

jkrispies

I love my Glock because its "lack of safeties" makes it perfect for me as a lefty... until I get to the slide release. Anybody have a technique for quickly releasing the slide? I don't particularly care for pulling and releasing the slide as that may not fully lock the slide (kinda like a limp wrist) which can result in a fly-away first shot. I've been experimenting with the ol' "hand dance" by tossing it back and forth, but that seems weird and slow. Any advice?

BTW: Always remember that lefties are the only people in their right minds!

2. GRR

GRR

I use my trigger finger.

3. MiCPL

MiCPL www.micpl.net

4. Disciple

Disciple

Fast = "Glock bump."

Secure = Overhand.

You said you do not like pull and release, and you're right, it's not good. The correct method is to bring your hand over the slide, grip, and pull crisply to the rear while pushing forward with your strong hand, letting your hand slip off when the slide bottoms on the frame. This causes an even more authoritative lockup than using the slide stop/release. Try it and see. :)

5. jkrispies

jkrispies

Desciple-- good advice... and a nicely worded explanation! Sounds relatively fast, too. I'll give it a try!

6. Hando

Hando

I read a book a while ago that stated that in fact this is the only correct way to do it. The author didnt recommend using the slide release at all.

7. jkrispies

jkrispies

I guess I should have included in my post that I've installed an extended slide release.

It is absolutely true that the stock "slide catch" is not designed to be depressed to release the slide... that's a result of the gun originally being designed for the military, which doesn't have any need for a quick release, as their engagements tend to be prolonged (and usually long range) battles rather than fast and furious shootouts.

8. Disciple

Disciple

jkrispies, as it was explained to me, the reason for not using the slide catch is not one of Military versus Civilian use, but rather for maximum reliability that is desirable to both operators.

By being consistent in use of a single motion for multiple conditions, there is not the ambiguity that is introduced otherwise. Using the method of overhanding the slide after each and every magazine insertion is part of this methodology.

Shot to slide lock? Drop mag, replace, overhand...

Failure to fire? Tap, overhand...

Stovepipe/FTE? Tap, overhand...

Tactical reload? Replace mag, overhand. (You cannot count on there being a round in the chamber, even if the slide didn't lock back; you've got a fresh mag in, so you might as well make it sure.)

Does this make sense?

9. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

Right above.
    A very effective way, and simple, in that it uses the same motion to both lock the slide to the rear (to show clear, for example) and to release the slide, as well as to rack the slide in clearing malfuntions: While maintaining stromg shooting grip with the lft hand, grab the slide overhand with your right. Your right thumb will be alongside your indexed trigger finger. Cant the pistol about 45 degrees while drawing the slide to the rear with your right hand. Your left thum will be just about directly over the slide stop when the slide is to the rear, allowing the thumb to easily push the slide stop up to lock the slide.

This is east to use for malfunction clearing drills, as many schools and instructors teach canting the pistol to facilitate clearing the weapon .

Hope this helps.

-Bo

10. GRR

GRR

Overhand? So, you read it in a book, someone told you, the author says its the only way...puleeze.

I use my trigger finger to release the slide. It works for extended or standard releases. I use the same method with a 1911.

11. thetoastmaster

No, I didn't read it in a book. It's the the instructors at the police acadamy taught me to do it. It's the same motion for releasing the slide as for clearing malfuntions, or do you clear a double feed with your trigger finger, too? It makes more sense when you look at it from that angle.

-Bo

12. GRR

GRR

No, I don't clear double feeds with my trigger finger anymore than right handers clear them with their thumb. I don't know about you but I drop the slide quite a bit more than I clear malfunctions. Using my trigger finger is a bit faster (for me). I do use a similar method to the one you describe for locking the slide back, but I use my right index finger to pull the slide release up.

There is also a technique for releasing the slide where you reach under with your right hand and pull the slide release down with your fingers and then rotate your right hand back to your two hand grip.

What I suggest is that a person try all the techniques described in this thread and use the one they like best.

GRR

13. thetoastmaster

I don't disagree with trying different techniques. I only suggest that if movements are based on gross motor functions, and then ingrained in the memory until they are second nature, it will seve you better in a fight than relying on one small digit and an even smaller piece of metal. Missing it in the dark, and bloody or sweaty, is a real possibility. Further, it turns every reload from empty into half of a malfuntion drill.

-Bo