close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

advice on upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Maximaking, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Maximaking

Maximaking

Hey guys, I'm looking to do an upgrade on my pc. I do a good amount of video transcoding so I want to upgrade my celeron 2.4 I've decided against AMD because of seeing way too many nuke themselves in the past. I don't play hard core games. I'm still happy with my AGP 64 meg ATI video card if that tells you anything. OK this all said, here's what I'm looking at

Intel Pentium D 930 3.0 Dual Core ~$180 from Newegg.
    ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard~$60 from NewEgg

I picked the motherboard so I can stick with pc 3200 for right now (I already have 1 gig)and still use my dual monitors

I'll probably overclock just a littlebit if I can get things to run stable. I'll be waiting until about the time conroe hits officially hoping to push the price on the 930 down even more. It's already cheaper than the 3.0 single core

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
    Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks
    Todd

:upeyes:

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Sounds like you are on the right track. If there will be no gaming in its future, then you should be fine with what you have and plan to get.

If you don't have at least a 200GB SATA HDD, you might add one of them to your list. Seagate is my present drivemaker of choice.

3. Maximaking

Maximaking

Yah I don't play hardly any games and th games I do play play just fine for me on my currnet setup. If anyone knows of a fairly nice dual monitor video card for less than $50 I wouldn't mind upgrading the graphics card a little however I'm thinking I'll need to upgrade my 350 watt power supply to atleast 450 maybee that's what I'll do with the extra money. as far as hard drives, I already have a 160 sata seagate, I wouldn't mind adding another drive later on. If I don't clean out my drive I can get down to less than 20 gig free but usually if I keep the garbage off I have about 100 gig free.

Thanks
    Todd

4. berniew

berniew Liberty

If possible wait to see how the Core2Duo release shakes things up. If nothing else the same processor may be selling for less.

Having said that the 'D' isn't half bad even in a Dell