close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on some issues...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Tecumseh, May 10, 2006.

1. Tecumseh

Tecumseh Libertarian

Hello all,

I am overweight. I want to lose about 40-50 pounds. I just decided its time to lose the spare tire and do something healthy.

I am planning on meeting with a personal trainer in 2 weeks. I also wanted to get some suggestions on books to read which might help make good suggestions as to help me live a healthier lifestyle. A buddy of mine swears up and down by the Atkins diet but I am not so sure that is a healthy diet as it seems suspicious. Another friend is on some P90x diet that looks better but as it is sold on TV I am skeptical.

Primarily I wanted to know what some good foods to stock up on would be. I suspect that I may be diabetic as my mothers side of the family is and I am prone to it as I am overweight. So far I started walking around late at night as I am a night owl and it is better than watching TV. However the neighborhood is getting worse with crime and I am not allowed to carry so I plan to start jogging on a treadmill. But as it goes I am going to be hitting up the gym after this week is over. I have a workout partner and will be more motivated to work out with someone than alone.

Is there any advice you can give. I expect diet and lifestyle changes to be a big pain in the ***. I figure if I can quit smoking than I can lose weight. As it is I am now 4 months without a smoke. Its been a long 4 months though.

I also have a problem with cooking. My house is populated with *******s. My roommates will eat my stuff, not clean up, and leave a mess. I would prefer food suggestions that do not require much work. Cereal, yogurt, sanwhiches, etc. Nothing that requries cooking as they want to live like animals and I refuse to clean up after them.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

2. DBradD

DBradD

This thread is a good place to start:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=515003

If losing weight is your goal, focus your attention and energy on your caloric intake rather than exercise. Exercise is important for your health and to help you bust the inevitable plateaus you'll face, but has limited ability to take off the pounds.

My wife and I both dropped about 30 lbs a few months ago. As for specific food recommendations, we found ourselves very often eating turkey cold cut sandwiches on 35 calorie/slice bread, healthy choice and other frozen meals (whatever was on sale and 260-300 calories/meal), chili and spaghetti made with 96/4 ground beef. Edit: Can't believe I forgot tuna--ate a megacrapload of tuna, mostly straight outta the can. It's easier to specify what we DIDN'T eat. We cut out all high fat foods such as nuts, fast food, and beef other than the low fat stuff. Remember that fat has 9 calories/gram vs 4 for protein and carbs so you can eat a crapload more food if you cut out a lot of fat.

DBD

3. malkore

malkore

Atkins is NOT healthy.

for one, your body NEEDS carbs
    for two, yoiu end up eating way too much fat, and saturated fat.
    for three, the guy who 'invented' Atkins died of heart problems, related to his crappy diet.

BodyRX is a good program, and worth reading just for the ideas and the good nutrition info.

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Are you sure about this?

5. Tecumseh

Tecumseh Libertarian

Thanks for all of the advice so far. That thread is pretty interesting and I will be bookmarking it.

6. DBradD

DBradD

Just to give you even more motivation, you might find that any current blood sugar issues disappear as you approach a good bodyfat percentage.

From age 26 to 34, I thought I had low blood sugar because I couldn't go more than about 2-3 hours without eating something without feeling light headed and shaky. My doctor told me that I had hypoglycemia. After dropping about 30 lbs to about 9-10% bodyfat, I have no trace of blood sugar problems. At this point, if I need to, I can eat a light meal and make it for 6-8 hours without any problem other than a growling stomach. Both sides of my family have large numbers of folks with diabetes (thinking about it now, they're all overweight, waaaay overweight), so that was a motivation for me also.

DBD

7. RunsWithScissor

RunsWithScissor Nice Grouping

Spouse and I have taken off 40 pounds each since Aug. I still have 10 to go.

READ LABELS - know what you're eating. We've always tried to keep salt (sodium) low, so I just added reading for fat. We try to keep fat to a minimum . . . along with watching the calorie count. Portion size is the other thing to really watch. Figure out what each food item is calling a portion. You'll really be suprised. We were each eating enough for two (and it showed).

Exercise is treadmill. Started out with what we could do in an hour. Now we rotate on maximum distance and then (when that starts feeling comfortable) we change over to climbing (incline of 15%) to build muscle, then back to distance. We never break into a run (at our ages, we value our joints too much to strain them that hard). In an hour, doing either, we will be over 300 calories (sometimes, up to 500). Minimal weights and a little ab work.

The BEST investment we made was Polar heart monitors. Those are much more accurate than anything the gym equipment will tell you. You can track (real time) your heart rate. It will let you work hard and know that you are not killing yourself, that your body can do this. They also track the calories burned (put in age, sex, weight). When you realize how hard you have to work to burn 300 calories, it makes it very easy to make better food choices (i.e. are those calories worth what it will take to work them off?).

Good luck and be consistant. We plan on the "stop smoking" thing when we are at our target weights. I think that will be harder than the weight loss.

:treadmill: :treadmill: :treadmill: :treadmill:

8. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Dr. Atkins died of kidney failure after being into a coma as a result of a head injury suffered slipping on an icy sidewalk. He'd suffered a heart attack the year before, but it wasn't the cause of death.

9. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

In addition to the good advice given so far I have this to add. Be patient. You don't want to do one of these crash diets where you lose 40 pounds in two weeks. It's not healthy, and when you quit that diet, and you will, you'll put the weight back on nearly as fast as you lost it. When I decided to lose weight to try and get my cholesterol level on track I consulted a nutritionist. Her recommendation was to experiment with different lowfat foods until I found a few that I liked, then start watching the fat intake. Then try to keep the fat down to approximately 50 grams a day. 10 for breakfast, 20 for lunch and dinner. Allow yourself some treats on occasion but keep the serving size down. Most people get some enjoyment out of eating. If you don't like the stuff you're eating you will gradually shift back to eating foods that you do enjoy, foods that are probably bad for you. Salads are usually quick and easy. I found a line of fat free vinegrette dressings that are really good. And you have to watch the dressing, most of them are loaded with fat. You can buy salad mixes that all you have to do is grab a handfull out of the bag put your dressing on and eat. You can chop up some turkey breast and add it to get some protein. Maybe throw in other veggies that you like.
    And stick with the walking. With following the above advice and walking I dropped 35-40 pounds over about a year. I've since gained most of it back as I've started weight lifting and have bulked up considerably. Also, ditch the bathroom scale. Weighing yourself all the time is only a source of stress.