close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on shooting three divisions at Ft. Benning Match

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Defiance, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Defiance

Defiance

I've shot in several matches, but I've never shot multiple divisions before. I'm planning to shoot in this order:

1. subcompact with G26
    2. Majorsub with G30
    3. Am/Civ with G19

Is this the best order?

Do I shoot all three divsions back-to-back-to-back at the firing line, or do I shoot one, let someone else go, then shoot another, etc.? It seems to me that shooting back-to-back-to-back might get a bit tiring. (Shooting 72 plates in a row sounds to me like it might be tiring, both physically and mentally) Yes or no?

Any other advice on multiple division shooting would be appreciated too! :)

Thanks in advance.

2. gpsdiesel

gpsdiesel Senior Member

I believe you may shoot two divisions back to back, but not 3 usually.
    I do the Am/Civ and Am/cmp back to back with my 17, but make sure you have enough magazines to cover both back to back.

3. Defiance

Defiance

Thanks. I'd prefer to shoot one division, take a break, then shoot another, then take a break before shooting the last one anyhow. I just wasn't sure how that would work.

Anyone else?

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

After you have been squaded you can always shoot 2 back-to-back, then step back and someone else from that squad can shoot 2 and then you come back up and shoot your 3rd. Also IF there is not a large backlog of shooters GSSF allows a shooter to shoot a max of 3 back-to-back. Just be sure if you shoot only one or two and step back that the RO doesn't forget about you and put you at the bottom of the stack or you could be there quite a long time waiting; THIS has happened. Once you are squaded you remain in that squad until you are through. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i've shot 6 as long as they let me and then 3 and now going back to 5. i always shot MSub first since it has a differant course of fire, that is one round per paper target per string. i like MSub as a warm up but now with the restructured prize distribution i might have to take it more serious.

6. Defiance

Defiance

Thanks all! :thumbsup:

Shooting Majorsub for the first time will be interesting. No doubles on the paper- that'll be hard to remember! Shooting it first makes sense.

I'm nowhere near good enough to place in the top 10... yet. I'm trying to improve though. In keeping with the new prize allocation system: more divisions means more chances to win. Plus, I thought I'd contribute to the real major sub shooters prize pool and so they would get their numbers up in that division enough to be eligible for more prizes.

I'm bringing two more new members to the match. That'll make 6 noobies I've brought in the last two years. And still no pistols! :sad: Oh well, maybe this is my lucky year!

I'll see everyone there! :wavey:

7. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I usually shoot Am. Comp. first as a warm up, then Am. Civ. My third class is either Sub if I do that or Master Stock. Sometimes I shoot three classes and then add one later. I usually do Am. Comp, though as my warm up. I don't want to do Am. Civ. the first thing "cold." Usually an RO will let you shoot two classes, then have you step out, another shooter shoots, then you're back in. The exception to this was when I was at the Topton match, and after I shot two classes, I was put in pile and waited for 21 shooters! The rule states that you only have to wait for one shooter then, you can go back in and shoot. With all the "newbies" you've brought, I bet this year you win a Glock for that!

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

When I go to a match I make a weekend of it. When shooting three categories, I would shoot 2 in the morning and one after lunch or the next morning. As far as your three chosen categories, I would shoot subcompact first(as the warmup)followed by Am/Civ, and shoot Majorsub later. I would suggest that same order if shooting all three back-to-back.

9. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I shoot (4) classes all with a model (17) and try to use that as practice and hope that my best is saved for last....1) Unlimited 2) Master Stock 3) Competition and 4) Amateur Civilian....I have found I'm often running too much adrenaline and it takes that many round/categories to find my groove. Good Luck.:supergrin:

10. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

DannyR,

Are you going to Ft. Benning?

11. Defiance

Defiance

Thanks for all the advice. I'll see everyone there!

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I think I am going to shoot 4 divisions this time.
    Am Guard
    Am Comp
    Am Subcompact
    Am Majorsub

I hope I have learned from my mistakes and have formulated a winning strategy this time. Third and 4th is getting old. Plus everyime I see a random gun prize, it seems like it is right under or above my entry.:sad:

13. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

With the exception of the 1st prize for Masters in Subcompact, Competition, and Majorsub, and the 1st prize for the Amateurs in Majorsub where the normal 1st prize is $100, the first, second, and third prizes in all the other Divisions is the same Pistol for 1st, $100 for 2nd and $75 for 3rd.

So, it may no longer make sense to shoot your "last" entry in Civilian or Guardian. That had been the SOP with a lot of people because that is where most of the random prizes were. That is no longer the case.

You might want to make your "best shot" at whichever Division you think you shoot the best compared to the others.

Actually, under the new prize scheme you might have a better chance at the 1st/2nd/3rd awards in whichever division has the SMALLEST number of shooters. Again excepting the $100 1st place awards I mentioned in my first paragraph.

;)

14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

According to the new prize system, re: Amatuers in Major sub- New for this year, if we have 10 Amateur competitors who shoot the “MajorSub” division we will
    upgrade the 1st place award from $100 to a Pistol. If we have 15 entries, we will add a $100 2nd
    Place Award. If we have 18 entries, we will add a $75 3rd place award.

That was lifted from the GSSF site. So if we have enough people shoot major sub, we amatuers have a chance at a gun there too.

15. gpsdiesel

gpsdiesel Senior Member

ok bamaTrooper, I will throw my hat in the Maj Sub ring. What the heck, I just got a new 36 and have a whoping 150 rounds thru it. Might have some "flyers", but I bet it will be fun. I think there will be a bunch of Am's shooting M sub this time...

16. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Norske,
    I'm really excited about the new opportunities for Masters and AmCiv's to compete with the new award system. In fact, I'm getting my guns ready to shoot all 5 categories allowed for Masters at Ft. Benning.

Let's see, I'm going to shoot my G17 in Competition and Master Stock, my G17UL in Unlimited, my G30 in MajorSub and my wife's G26 in the Subcompact category.

Looking forward to the Gunny and the Ft. Benning match. Heck, I've even done a little practice for both. ;) ;)

See ya on the range,
    Bobby

17. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Just a touch..... :)

18. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I have a G30, but I will just download it, I usually shoot the G26 in Subcompact, but as light as the 30 shoots, I may switch to it.