close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on Sale of Old Gear

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by seanmac45, Jun 16, 2006.

1. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Hi;

I have made the jump to digital, and picked up a Nikon D70S with the 18-70mm lens.

In an effort to acquire some additional lenses I have decided to attempt to sell off some older equiptment to defray costs.

What do the board membes think a realistic asking price for the following package would be, and where would you list it if it were up to you?

Olympus OM-1N body
    Olympus OM 2 winder
    Olympus 135mm zoom lens
    Olympus 28mm wide angle lens
    Olympus 50mm lens
    Olympus T2 flash unit

All components are in very good condition and have been recently tested for proper function.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I can't tell you what a realistic price is, but as you probably know already, you should try to sell on your own first. There are a number of photography boards that have classified sections you could use. IIRC, www.popphoto.com, www.photo.net, www.photography-on-the.net have sale sections. You can also try www.dpreview.com (but I can't remember if they allow sales) as well as the classifieds right here.

To get an idea of what they might be worth, check out the used equipment sections of B&H, Adorama, and KEH. You could also ultimately sell to these folks if you're not successful on your own, with the undertanding that they will probably give you only about one-third to one-half of the actual value. Good luck.

3. crash141

crash141

I've sold some of my used equipment through KEH. They were fair, and you'll get and estimate based on an online questionare you fill out about your equipment. www.keh.com

crash

4. spober

spober

im still gonna get the Nikon f5 ive been wanting since the early 90s.i allmost bought on in 1999 but couldnt come to a outright price.2000 plus.
    im seeing them at places like KEH and andromedaa ect in excellent condition for 599!im determined to get one in like new condition for under 500!
    there just isnt the market for all the old film gear flooding the market.everyone is going digital.im keeping my middle quality nikon N90s and all my good nikkor glass.its that or give it away!

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You can use your Nikkor glass with your Nikon digital SLR.

6. kato4moto

kato4moto

I've got an F5 for sale. It's not in like-new condition because I bought it used from Samy's in L.A., and they picked it up from a news photog. So it's got some of the usual wear you'd expect from a pro's camera, but it's not too bad. Mechanically, it's fine. I don't think I've run more than two or three rolls of Velvia through it since getting it serviced by Nikon several years ago. Please stick with Nikon; it seems like there are only a few of us Nikon shooters left these days.