close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on Nikon lenses

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Gene Pool, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Gene Pool

Gene Pool

I am tempted to buy a Nikon D50. Got to hold one the other day and now can't get my mind off it. I have a Nikon F4 with several Nikkor AF lenses, and a few manual focus lenses too. Where I live now, film processing is unhandy and quality is not too good, so I am (finally) making the complete switch to digital.

What I never did get used to with the F4 rig was the weight. Need to be a bodybuilder to carry it around. The light weight of the D50 got my attention.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to sell my older (10 years) Nikkor lenses and go with the new lighter weight lenses available now days. Are the new Nikon lenses in the D50 kit as good as the Nikkor AF lenses I have?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

We don't know which lenses you have, but if you were happy with them, I would keep them. It would certainly be much cheaper than selling used and replacing them with new.

3. Gene Pool

Gene Pool

I am holding one now. It's the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D. It weighs about 3 pounds. A great lens except for the weight.

4. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I'm not a Nikon owner, so don't know their lenses, but for me the deciding factor would be optics quality, not weight. IOW, if the lenses you have are recognized as having excellent optical quality, I would keep them. Weight to me has always been a secondary factor in lens selection.

5. Gene Pool

Gene Pool

The lenses were (and I presume still are) top of the line pro quality. They are in perfect condition. Going with a 6 megapixel camera I was thinking the lenses may have more capability than the camera can achieve... like putting race car tires on my Ford truck.

6. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I don't think lenses can have more capability than the camera. It has often been said that no amount of camera controls, sensor size, etc., can make up for an inferior lens. The lens really is the heart of the camera, while additional features on a camera might make it easier to use. So if your lenses are top quality, I would compare them carefully to current offerings before making any switch.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

For me, this would be a no brainer: if the lenses worked with the Nikon dSLR mount I wouldn't consider switching.

I have no idea what Nikon uses now or in the past but if they have switched mounts, you might can pick up a cheap adaptor to still use your lenses.

Just something to consider.

8. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

This is considered a superb lens. I would never get rid of it, unless I was completely jumping to another line (like Canon).

Here are reviews of that lens.

10. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

not that it's a detriment, but is your's one of the 'push-pull' zooms?

11. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

There is a wealth of information on the topic here;

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm

I have just purchased a D70s with the 18-70mm kit lens and am awaiting delivery of an 18-200mm.

Search a little deeper on his site and he goes into some detail about using older Nikkor lenses on new digital bodies.

Bottom line is that there is no problem, just that some of the older lenses negate some of the automatic functions of the new lenses.

There is NO issue with picture quality according to him as long as the lens is a quality one to begin with.

12. Gene Pool

Gene Pool

Thanks for the site. Here is what one of the reviewers had to say:

Pros: My best lens, without any doubt. I can use it for everything, portrait, landscapes and sports. I´m not a pro, but I think it´s one of the best.
    Cons: The weight. Too heavy for walk all day with it.

My sentiments exactly. I carried two F4's both with lenses when I worked. One of the F4's had this lens attached all the time. With flashes, etc. I felt like a pack-mule after about 2 hours.

You folks have talked me into keeping the lenses. They are too good to sell.

Thanks!

13. Gene Pool

Gene Pool

No.

14. spober

spober

GREAT LENS KEEP THAT ONE FOR SURE.

15. AdobeGlock

AdobeGlock

I do this photo thing for a living and you really don't want to get rid of the 80-200-ever. The extra weight of the lens helps you get sharper photos even if your neck may not be happy. The little 18-70 is a really nice little lens. Much better than the new 18-200 VR and a third the price. You will love digital and never look back. SAVE YOUR FILES AND BACK THEM UP!!!

16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Why is the 18-70 better than the 18-200?

It got great reviews and is impossible to find at list price.

17. AdobeGlock

AdobeGlock

Optically the 18-70 is noticablly sharper and I've shot three of them. Optically the four 18-200 I've tried were not nearly as sharp particularly at the wide end. I did buy one though for its extreem range. The vibration reduction of the 18-200 really can help make sharp images that you wouldn't normally get due to camera movement, so it's a tough choice. I can't wait for Glock to put VR on It's guns.

18. T. Harless

T. Harless

That's a great lens. I have the AFS (silentwave) and I think it auto focuses a little faster. I sure wouldn't ditch an 80-200 at all. You'll need a major wide angle going to digital. The lens I use most is the AFS 17-35 f2.8.

Another cool lens I don't own but am assigned at work is the 200-400mm f/4 AFS VR. I don't think it's as slick at Canons VR system but you can hand hold stuff that you'd never consider with VR.

19. spober

spober

thats a keeper.there is a glut of good nikkor glass on the market these days.id keep it as get a couple 3 hundred bucks for thousand doller lens?

20. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

i have a d70, the kit 18-70 is indeed sharp. way sharper than anyone would think. and it focuses very fast. as far as the 80-200 2.8....awesome in almost any variation. as far as it being race tires on a moped(or whatever you said) that is silly. i will put my 6.1mp ccd up against ANY 35mm camera as far as image quality. large format cameras hold a slight advantage, but with the d200 and d2x, that is about to change methinks.