close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on IWB holster for G27.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ndhill, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Alright folks, i've been going crazy searching the internet for a good IWB holster for CC. I think i've just about checked everything, but I want to hear stories on what does and doesn't work for ya'll. I just don't want to spend the money and not like it...

I've looked at Crossbreed, bianchi, desantis, galco, fobus...
    I even checked out the Smart Carry (i.e. the junk you carry over your junk in a jock strap looking holster)

I like Josh K's (here on GT) leather over at http://www.kolbesonleatherworks.com/ but just can't deicide.

SO, what works for you? What doesn't? Why and why not? I'm nervous about buying a holster online I cant tryout, and my local store doesn't stock much.

Background: New to CC, 6ft @215pnds, Carry a G27. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

I carry my G27 for most of the summer and also as a back up in a CrossBreed Supertuck. The only time it is uncomfortable, is when I'm driving. My seats can push the gun into my sides. Other than that, a very comfortable holster. I have 3 of them.

3. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Well, I'm new to the whole game as well, so take my "experience" with several grains of salt. I'm 6'2" and 240, and so far I've tried two iwb holsters. The first I tried and actually liked was just an el cheapo Blackhawk from Bass Pro for $15. I got the size that would fit the G22, size 6, and for me I like that holster for the 27 because it lets the gun ride low and realy reduced printing, and the gun doesn't touch your skin at all. It's thin and extremely light, which adds to the comfort factor. I don't know how long it will last, but with my job I can't really carry every day, so I expect I'll get at least a few months out of it, maybe more. The other I have is a Desantis Tuck This II. It's for the G23, but the 27 fits just fine. It seems pretty durable, and really is a good concept. It has a small elastic band made to hold an extra mag on the front. It seems to get kind of heavy when you put the extra mag in there with the gun though. Also I noticed a significant bulge because this holster is a lot thicker than the Blackhawk cheapy. Again due to my inexperience compared to a lot of guys around here, I guess I'll say that's my $.01 on the matter.

4. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I'm 6'-5", 280. I have the preverbial 'box full of holsters' including a Crossbreed ST for my G30SF. But my EDC is my G26 in a Brommeland Max Con V. If you do a search, you'll find my indepth review. In summary, if you appreciate impeccable craftsmanship and superb fit, finish and concealment, you will love this holster for your sub. Don't forget a 1.5", horse Beltman.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  5. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

My advice is to carry owb, unless you're carring something with a really long slide. If you're set on iwb, the crossbreed is hard to beat.

6. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I hate when people say this, but....

use the search function, and you will find many threads related to exactly this topic.

I have posted to more than a few threads about my carry holster for the G27, and you will find hundreds of answers from others..

so don't think i am being a jerk, but am telling you only to help you find good opinions...... search it out, and you will find the answers you seek

7. huntall50

huntall50

But other than the search function you will have to just make you best guess based on you read and BUY a holster. I carry in a RM low rider.

8. Fracball

Fracball Authorized User

I recommend the Hidden Ally (or similar) from High Noon Holsters. It's small, inexpensive and can be quickly handled. Some IWB holsters resemble a catcher's mitt, IMO. Good luck!

9. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I'm using a CTAC for my G27, & IMO, it's a great choice for me because I wanted a decent holster w/out a whole lot of 'extra holster' to deal with. It's just the holster shell/body & a couple of belt hooks.

Whichever holster you go w/though, be sure to match it up w/a quality gunbelt AND a pair of pants at least 1 size larger than normal for you. I've read too many posts about uncomfortable gun/holster combos & the headaches that come w/them that IMO, could have been completely avoided by just starting off w/the right equipment & clothing.

10. mad618

mad618

I carry my g26 in an occidental leather holster, I believe it's called the pheonix stronghold. Very comfortable and very high quality, I highly recommend one

11. k80clay

k80clay

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/IWB_Holsters.htm

I have a Side Guard Holsters minimal snap with a 5 degree cant. Simple, functional, thin, and cheap. Has a sweat guard, curves down below the slide, and holds well. Doesn't have all reinforced mouth stuff (don't know who ever won a gunfight by being able to reholster fast), but then again, it only adds a little less than 1/2 inch to the thickness of my pistol.

Well, well worth the price.

12. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

13. sargespd

sargespd

I did a review of JoshK's IWB for my G27, including pics. I'm pretty close to your size, and I can honestly say that the combination of the size of the G27 and the holster make the package one of the most comfortable CC setups I have used in 24 years of carrying. I have not used any of the Crossbreed Supertuck, Minotaur, or CompTac CTAC or MTAC type holsters, so I have no opinion there. I have used IWB holsters from Desantis, Galco, Milt Sparks, and Mitch Rosen. Josh's work isn't quite as refined as Rosen or Sparks, but I see it getting better as he hones his skills. Function as perfect, fit is great, and appearance is pretty darn good, and for me, the combination is perfect.

14. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks all! I did a search here on GT and didn't find a whole lot, but I appreciate all of your suggestions. When I figure out what I'm getting I'll post pics and a review. Thanks again!:wavey:

15. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

16. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I this something you would just tie off to a belt loop and stick the gun in my waistband? I've tried this just to "imagine" what it would feel like to carry around the house, and it's not uncomfortable and as tight as I wear my belt it doesn't shift when i sit, stand, or walk... I can hypothetically consider this using this device. hmmm...

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Fine for the safe. Comical for carry.

18. Dixie Don

Dixie Don

I use Sidearmor IWB. They're made of Kydex, a modular system (belt hooks or loops, etc), have a shield to prevent the weapon from getting on your sweaty skin and above all to me, are very comfortable (after 4 years with my G27). They are at sidearmor. com

19. theinemann

theinemann

I really like the Comp-Tac MTAC for IWB and carry my G19 that way. My father-in-law carries a G26 in his and is also very happy with it. I also agree that the proper fitting pants (not too snug) and a good gunbelt (I have a Beltman that is great) make a world of difference.

20. 220-9er

220-9er

Another vote for the Sidearmor. I've had a few others and this works best for me.