Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any tips on making the process of installing the firing pin with spring and spring cups easier?

I have big fingers, and every time i attempt installing the spring cups.. one doesn't get all the way on because all my other fingers are acupied holding everything in place. Then the assembly flies appart all over the place.

This causes me to lose the small pieces (like the spring cups) and have to keep reordering them.

Iv'e already lost 2 sets and now am ordering the 3rd one.

Am i the only one who struggles with this?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do one side at a time, one half in first then hold down that side and slip in the other side. Release slowly and “bobs your uncle” there you go.

Alternative, if you have access to small needle nose pliers with a fairly sharp nose, slip the nose between the coils about a third from the top. Move the spring down to leave room for the cups to be inserted. Now use a rubber band or even tape to clamp the plier tight to the FP. With everything locked up slip in the cups the using your big fingers hold the cups and springs and release or slip out the plier nose and there you go.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You actually use the slide itself to hold the striker assembly. Put the striker assembly in the striker channel backwards. Place the slide muzzled end down on your bench. Now you can use one hand to push the spring down and lay the cups in one half at a time.

This is what I was taught in armorer school.

I did quick youtube search and really could not find the above in a video. I did find tools for sale and some pretty "different" ways to do things.

EDIT: Well Bradd D found a video about the above. Bravo.

·
Scottish Member
12,903 Posts
1. Wear safety glasses.

2. Wear safety glasses.

3. Use the slide as a jig to hold the firing pin (put the “tang” of the FP in the slide first).

4. Compress the spring, install one cup in the spring, then the other, slowly release spring.

(knock on wood) I’ve never lost a spring or a cup.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Also, whenever springy-thingys are involved, to catch launches, either:

1. Do operations inside a clear plastic bag
2. Spread a large bedsheet or blanket (of contrasting color to objects) draped on things to make as much of a wall around the area as you can. Make at least a U-shape out of the sheet if you can. Hang sheet from the ceiling if you can, propped up by whatever is around to make it vertical with as much horizontal below to catch it and stop it from bouncing. Barring that, put it over places where you would never find it, like behind a desk.
3. For metal objects (spring cups won't work), get a powerful magnet to put on a string to hunt for metal parts.

·
just me
8,209 Posts
I just use the slide cover plate .. insert it in the side of the spacer sleeve .. Press down on the spring and remove the cups ..

·
Private side
11,817 Posts
I’d have to fire (6x1/2d+the average yearly income of an Ecuadorean prostitute) in rounds before it becomes NECESSARY to mess with the firing pin cups but since I get bored I sometimes do that full strip and clean.
As mentioned before, Firing pin channel to hold the pin and sleeve while you use one hand to compress spring and other to insert the cups.

Reactions: Bluescot

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
use the above procedure shown in the video to hold the striker assembly in place.

lay the spring cups curve side up on the table next to the slide, use a dab of white lithium grease on your finger tip of your off hand to pick up the spring cup.

compress the spring with the thumb and finger of your strong hand, pick up the first spring cup on your finger tip of your off hand and slide the first spring cup in place at your strong hand thumb then rotate your strong hand thump up slightly to hold the first spring cup in place.

pick up the second spring cup on your finger tip of you off hand and slide it in place, rotate your finger of your strong hand up slightly to hold the second spring cup in place.

cup your off hand over the striker assembly and slowly release the tension on the spring, with your off hand still cupped over the striker assembly, check for proper engagement of the spring cups/spring/ striker, once confirmed, wipe off the WLG and assemble your slide.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I take a piece of scrap wood, small piece of 2x4 works great, and drill hole large enough for sleeve to enter but not for tang of striker to fit. This provides solid base so you can use one hand to hold spring down and other hand to install spring cups. And since using wood no chance to harm any part.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I take a piece of scrap wood, small piece of 2x4 works great, and drill hole large enough for sleeve to enter but not for tang of striker to fit. This provides solid base so you can use one hand to hold spring down and other hand to install spring cups. And since using wood no chance to harm any part.
This, but I just use a roll of masking tape. Catch the striker tang on the edge of the tape roll so that the spacer sleeve has room to extend below, thus the striker spring doesn't need to be compressed as much to make room for the cups. A paperback book would work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the method I use.

It can be a pain. Thankfully, I only do it every 10,000 rounds.
Thank you guys, I knew there had to be an easier way without firing pin spring and cups flying everywhere when my fingers slip. No kidding i bought several dozen spring cup sets because of it happening so frequently.

·
Florist
20,480 Posts
Right after retirement, I completely overhauled my issue G19, including changing the striker spring. It was more difficult than I remembered... until I remembered! The above replies pretty much describe how to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.