close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on Glock Upgrades

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rmcnamara22, Mar 31, 2010.

1. rmcnamara22

rmcnamara22

I recently purchased my first glock, a G22 RTF2. I am looking for an upgraded trigger and night sights, but have too many options to choose from. Does anyone have recomondations? I hear ghost rocket triggers are good and that ameriglo has very effective night sights. Opinions???

2. ChrisTKHarris

ChrisTKHarris I like to shoot

Check out these night sights, a few of the Glock guys are running them. Also Trijicon Night sights are always a good choice.

http://www.xssights.com/

3. Seraph

Seraph

Heinie Straight-8's for sights. Lots of dry fire for the trigger.

4. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

I have Trijicons on my 19. Meprolights are good too. A 3.5 lbs connector will make a huge difference. Google the 25 cent trigger job for Glock. If you want to spend the money, buy the $125 trigger from Vaneck on line. It's already pollished and ready to go. Just drop it in. If you are comfortable with doing it yourself it costs about $13.25 or there about.

3.5 lbs connector = $10.00
    Wolf reduced power striker spring = $3.00
    $0.25 trigger job = ...

The best advice is to dry fire and learn the trigger. IMHO the stock Glock trigger is a little stiff but not unmanageable. A gun is a tool, like any other tool. Have you ever used a hammer and thought, hmmm...what could I do to make this hammer better. Chances are you've just grabbed the hammer and banged away. Just bang away with your Glock.

Now if you're going to compete, that's a different story. Your post is going to open up a big can of worms about whats appropriate for cary, what's legal, what will get you sued...etc...Just do what you want, but most people eventually run full circle and bring there Glock back to as close to stock as possible in time.

5. MonsterB

MonsterB

I am now wondering if the Glock 25cent trigger job would get you in trouble legally, since it is essentially modified? I feel pretty happy with the stock trigger, after 5k rounds mine is pretty smooth...for upgrades I suggest a set of trijicons, after that Im thinking the gun is best left as is, at least for me..

6. rboatright

rboatright

5000 rounds has done what the 25 cent polish does -- polished the parts together.

All the 25 cent polish does is speed that process up.

7. Wild Gene

Wild Gene

This is a sensible post, good advice. It is something many, including yours truely, discover eventially, but it seems to be just a matter of how much time and money they spend before they discover it.

It really boils down to what you want to do with the pistol. If you want to compete, then a custom trigger may be well worth the investment. I personally went with one from glocktriggers.com over the vaneck.

Two other mods you may want to look at are a steel guiderod, and some grip tape. You can buy the 3M stairs tape and make your own, or buy the same stuff pre cut.

As far as sights, I have and really like the Warren-Sevigney tactical carry with fiber optic (but they do have a tritium version) Glock sight set from Dawson Precision.

Other than that, the best thing you can do is go buy a case of Ammo, and shoot a lot.

Good Glocking,

WG

8. cciman

cciman

Not knowing your experience with guns, the best upgrade one can buy is lots of ammo and range time.

Then invest in a tactical training school course.

After that, waste your money on parts addons for your stock Glock.

9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

They are aftermarket replacement parts, not upgrades.

10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Depends on what you plan to use it for. HD,SD,Carry,Competetion,Plinking ????

BTW...welcome to GT and congrats on the G22.:wavey:

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

The Ghost Rocket is my preferred trigger connector. As far as sights go it is kinda personal. If you like a standard 3 dot setup then Trijicon and Meprolight are the two biggest. If you prefer a different sight picture the Heinie or XS are very popular.

12. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Except for the sights, the parts you're interested are not upgrades, but downgrades for ccw. For plinking or range use, all's fair.

13. sciolist

sciolist

For those of us who like to tinker, there is always a temptation to solve problems mechanically, and I think that has an inherent value. If you take the adaptive approach though, and solve the problem by developing yourself instead of the tool, you'll be able to use *any* hammer well. What if you found yourself in a "situation" where you had to use someone else's stock Glock?

Trigger skill is an integral part of Glock's safety system, in the sense that you need it to overcome the stiffer pull. But once you have that skill, you are freed from mechanical dependency on an external safety.

Learning to get the most out of customized equipment (and working out your own set of mod's) is an important set of skills too.

I don't see these as mutually-exclusive paths. I see them as mutually-enhancing. With good fundamental skills, you should be able to do both well, as would be the case with any activity that combines biomechanical skill and tools.

14. rmcnamara22

rmcnamara22

I am wanting to compete and I think the stock gun itself is great for that, but I also will use it as a home defence gun which is why I need the night sights. I have quite a bit of experience shooting and have noticed the trigger getting a much smoother pull after 2000 rounds. Thank you for the advice and i'm sorry I said upgrades instead of after markets parts LUMBERG.

15. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Night sights are an upgrade. Most aftermarket parts are anything but. +1 Bill, and roger the TPS report.