Advice on fleas?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bchandler, May 2, 2012.

1. bchandler

bchandler

I've been letting my cat sit out on the porch with all the nice weather we've been having, and now unfortunately he has caught fleas. I had applied Revolution about 2 months prior (over the recommended 30-45 days, I know).

The first thing I did was to give him a bath using off the shelf flea shampoo. Then a few days later I applied Revolution. It is now 2 days after the Revolution application and the fleas are still there in force. So today I gave him another bath, but this time using half normal soapy water and half flea shampoo, since I had read online that normal soap and water will kill fleas. I also vacuumed the whole house, washed all the fabrics, vacuumed the baseboards and windowsills, etc, and washed down the hard surfaces with soap and water.

So now about 2-3 hours after the latest bath I can still comb out live fleas! So apparently the soap and flea shampoo don't do jack.

Can anyone help? Does the vet have a pill that works better than Revolution to break the flea cycle?

2. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Do you have carpets?

Spreading ortho boratic acid on your carpets and in the groves of your chairs will kill all the fleas but it takes about a month because of the new fleas being born.

3. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

Yes, you have to fight them on their lifecycle.

Keep a good anti-flea medication on your cat. Don't be cheap; get the good stuff, not whatever is in the Wally World bargain bin.

Make sure it is safe for cats. Cats have much greater sensitivity to certain insecticides. Do not use a dog-specific product on your cat. (I have a dog, so I don't know the best cat products; ask a vet if you need to.)

Once applied, your cat will essentially become toxic to the fleas. They may try to infest him, but the medication will kill them and prevent them from reproducing (thus fighting them on their life-cycle).

Get some good product for your carpets/fabrics (Adams is good) and use it per directions.

Be patient. Fleas are a PITA, but they WILL go away of you treat your cat and house properly. I've lived through it. You'll be fine.

4. Altaris

Altaris

Do this!

I would go to Petsmart or your Vet and get a good Flea treatment for cats, and yeah, they aren't cheap. I know the one for Dogs that I have you do drops down the back.
    As HD said, it may not immediately kill what is there, but they will die overtime, and more importantly prevents them from reproducing and making more.

5. Monte4283

Monte4283

I found Frontline to be the best flea medication, You have to get it through your vet. You crack open the vile and put it between their shoulder blades. It does not work overnight. Put it on and give it a week or so and you'll see a difference, It will get rid of them. Also while at vet get a bottle of flea spray and spray all your carpet with it to help speed the process. But the frontline treatment will kill them on its own.

I have two dogs that go out daily, And the moment I see a flea they get a treatment and we're good for another few months atleast.

6. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_fleas.html

Diatomaceous Earth. Just make sure its food grade. Any bug with an exoskeleton is history if you use this stuff. On a microscopic level it slices and dices the exoskeleton and then they dehydrate and die.

Food grade (not the stuff you use in the pool) is what you want. The pets can ingest it and it will not harm them.

Link has a lot of info on it. A horse rancher turned me on to the stuff. Said it is the bane of all the vets because if they recommended it, they would not be able to sell their other products. I do believe he was right.

Oh, and don't let the holistic crap turn you off to it. This stuff was in use long before that was in fashion.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Frontline FTW! Will completely de-flea your house... eventually. Like someone else said, it works on the flea's lifecycle, but work it does.

8. bchandler

bchandler

Thanks guys, I am already using Revolution, which my vet said was the best one, but like I said adult fleas are still on him. I'm not sure if they're supposed to drop dead or if it only kills one of the other lifestages or what. I guess I'll call the vet and ask.

And I've heard about the diatomacious earth. If they don't go away soon with daily cleaning and weekly flea baths I will probably try that next.

9. groundhawg

groundhawg

When I had a bad outbreak with a dog years ago, I had to treat the yard, the house and the dog more than once. Diazanon crystals kicked the hell out of the fleas in the yard but I dont think it's legal anymore.
    You can buy sprays that are furniture and carpet friendly and you will have to use them more than once. I use cattle ear tags tied to my dogs collars and they have worked great thus far on both ticks and fleas. They are very inexpensive from TSC and I only have to use 1/2 a tag and change monthly. Costs less than a dollar a month for 2 dogs.

10. AA#5

AA#5

I've been where you are (with my two Labs) I have three words for you:
    ADVANTAGE FOR CATS.

After trying the cheaper "Frontline" for dogs, I could obviously see that it was USELESS. I realized I wasn't saving any money when the cheaper "Frontline" product does nothing at all for fleas. The next day, I had no trouble finding many live fleas on my dog. I contacted the manufacturer & asked about their "money back guarantee" & the idiot told me I had to wait THREE MONTHS for it to work. Anyone who is willing to have their pet suffer for three months shouldn't own a pet.

Then, I spent the extra money on "Advantix." The next morning, I found 12 DEAD fleas on his bed & a few more that were twitching. That's all I've used ever since. NO FLEAS.

11. sarge1

sarge1

Same with my dogs frontline did nothing advantix worked

12. sarge1

sarge1

Same with my dogs frontline did nothing advantix worked

13. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

Frontline or Advantage, flea baths and vacuum your carpets daily.

One quick way to check your pet for fleas is to shine an infrared light on them, fleas absolutely go nuts and start scampering around like crazy.

14. DaneA

DaneA

Because you have already applied Revolution, I would be careful with most other treatments. However, CapStar is safe even after applying other products. You can get it from PetSmart for about $45 for 6 doses or usually from a vet for about $15 for 1 dose. It works for about 48 hours and then it is done, but fleas will be DEAD in 15 minutes.

15. Detectorist

Detectorist

16. SLO1911Fan

SLO1911Fan

With two cats, two dogs, and a house in a sandy area my roommates and I had flea problems with our animals. Advantix or whatever it is works, so does frontline, but you have to use them consistently for months. I'm sure some of the natural flea meds work, but the one I tried the cat licked it once and threw up three times and drooled/foamed all over for an hour. By far the BEST thing we did was have the house professionally treated. Get the house done, bathe the animals, and hit them with the flea meds. It's not the absolute cheapest solution, but the money I spent on frontline/advantix for months would have paid to have the house sprayed easily.

17. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

Capstar is like a miracle flea killer. It's will kill every flea on your cat within hours.... It only lasts a day so needs to be used in conjunction with a life cycle disrupter and vacuuming everyday for a week or so along with an outdoor spray.

18. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I'm not sure if your aware of it but Revolution has to be dosed according to the weight of your cat. In other words, a 15 pound cat would get a bigger dose than a 10 pound cat. Is it possible that your giving your cat too small a dosage?

Anyhow, it's something you may want to double check as it's a easy thing to over look. Don't ask me how I know. :whistling:

(Please speak to your vet before changing dosage amounts.)

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  19. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Capstar and Adbantage combined. Capstar is a pill that kills the fleas right away, the other stuff is a topical that interrups the lifecycle of the fleas.
    When I was diagnosed with Leukemia several years ago ( I'm now in remission), I got really sick when exposed to the cat flea medicines. I had fever, shakes, nausea and vomiting for several days, but the fleas were killed. SOOO, I keep the cat indoors, she watches nature from the floor to ceiling windows in the Living room and breakfast room. I throw seeds, corn etc to feed the squirrels and birds on the drive near the breakfast window, she'll watch the critters for hours. I like to look at them occasionally while I'm reading the paper at the table. The cat also watches nature programs on TV:popcorn::cat::wiggle::wavey:

20. Winds-of-change

Winds-of-change

The flea bath only kills the fleas on the animal. The drops you put on the animals shoulder blades needs the oil from their skin to disperse so it should NOT be used after a bath. Best to leave the animal unbathed and use some flea liquid on it's back that treats all life cycles of the fleas. Then vacuum the house, throw the vacuum bag away immediately. I use Frontline Plus with great success. I use it before flea season and continue it all summer long. My animals don't pick up fleas to begin with. A couple times I had a flea infestation. It was hell getting rid of them in the house. :steamed: