close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on First Pistol

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kensb2, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I've been doing a lot of reading/research, and it's basically going to come down to a Glock or Springfield. I've joined this community, but not a Springfield one if that tells you anything. I've gone and held both brands of weapons (but not fired as of yet). I plan to fire my main 2 or 3 choices before buying, and I'm not here asking the community to "pick my gun for me". I'm trying to tap into the wealth of knowledge here, and get some answers and explanations so I can make an informed first purchase.

Info:
    This will be a CCW, but mostly evenings and weekends as I work on a military post (can't carry or transport except to and from the range).

Between the price of the weapon, my CCL ($200 in OK), and some training at the range, this is going to be a large investment, and will be my only handgun for quite some time.

Will be used as a home defense weapon as well, until I can purchase something more suitable (see above).

I've narrowed it down to the 19/26 or the 23/27 on the Glock side.

That being said, here are my main questions:

1) Since it's a first pistol, am I "better off" with 9mm
    or .40?

2) Is compact or subcompact a better way to go?
    I'm 5'9", 190-200lbs. I also have smallish hands/short
    fingers for a guy.

3) New or used/have the issues been mostly ironed out of
    the Gen 4s?

Sorry it's such a long post, and I did try to do a search for a similar post before asking all these questions. Thanks for your time/knowledge everyone!

2. jay1975

jay1975 Ultra Master

or .40?

Either round will work for you. The question is, which do you like better? I prefer the 9mm as that is what I have primarily shot along with the 45. I like the higher capacity and affordability of the ammo. The 40 is a fine round, but for the price, I prefer the 9mm.

fingers for a guy.

At your size, a compact is fine. With a good IWB, you can conceal a full size 1911 with a baggy shirt or light jacket, so a G19 would be no problem.

the Gen 4s?

I haven't shot the gen 4's yet (that will change soon), but I have shot several gen 2's and 3's and they all have been fine pistols. If this is your first pistol, you may want to go used so you are not into it too much if you decide that you don't really like it. You work on a military installation right? If you are retired or reserve member, you can pick up a new "blue label" Glock for around $400.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You've got to hold them and see which you like.

If mainly for carry, the 26 makes more sense. If mainly for range, the 19 makes more sense.

Yes, you can shoot a 26 fine at the range. And you can carry a 19. Just talking about their strengths.

I'm a 9mm guy. Nothing wrong with .40, but you get more recoil for what reason? 9mm is powerful enough for self-defense, and it is easier to shoot, cheaper to buy, holds more rounds. But obviously others think differently, and they do carry .40 for more power. I skip over .40 and go to .44mag for hunting. But really have nothing against the .40 :)

As to generation, go with what your hand likes better. I prefer the G4 grip. Don't waste time trying to worry ahead about internet reliability issues. ANY model can have a lemon waiting for you if you have bad luck :) Instead, I suggest buying based upon the features that you prefer (grip, sights, caliber, trigger, safety or not a safety, stuff like that).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  4. voyager4520

voyager4520

As a .40 owner myself, I'd say that .40 ammo costs more and doesn't offer a significant ballistic advantage over 9mm, plus .40 is a little more snappy. The only real advantage I've seen to owning .40 is that during an ammo shortage, you're more likely to find .40 than the other major calibers.

I'm 5'11" 170lbs and I find the sub-compact to be much more concealable. Some people don't like the two-finger grip of the sub-compact but I've gotten used to it and I'm quite comfortable with it. If you really want the third finger part of the grip, you can get aftermarket magazine extensions like Pearce +0, and even with those extensions it'd still be slightly more concealable than the compact size.

I have small-medium hands and I find the Gen4's much more comfortable. The problems aren't just with the Gen4's, it's an erratic ejection problem that can be bad enough to result in failures to eject, and it affects a small percentage of recent production Glocks, both Gen3 and Gen4. My 2009 test-fired Gen3 G27 had the problem, replacing the extractor made very little difference, only the new 28926 ejector fixed it. If I were going to buy a recent production Glock, I'd get a Gen4 that has the new ejector in it. If you experience erratic ejection with the new ejector, that likely means the extractor is out-of-spec and once the extractor is replaced the gun should eject fine.
    [​IMG]

Gen3's which have a serial number prefix of LHZ or earlier alphabetically should be free from the erratic ejection problem, the problem was first reported in the M-series all the way up until the new ejectors became standard a few months ago. Though the new ejectors are only standard in Gen4, so the problem is still being reported in the most recently made Gen3's.

If you buy used, unless it's a police trade-in, you may be buying someone else's mistakes. They may have put some aftermarket springs in it that make it less reliable, along with various other aftermarket parts. Though the good thing about Glocks is that they're ridiculously easy to detail strip and every single factory part is available from multiple retailers.

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Hands down the best advice I can give you is to test fire before you buy. Most ranges have a flat fee of renting multiple guns. I dont know how many times when I managed a gun range/shop that a customer would come in with one opinion and then shot the gun and walk out with a different gun than they walked in wanting to buy or the number of people who bought a gun and it turned out not being for them.

Everyones hands fit each gun differently, each gun has a different trigger pull and reset, sights, grip angle. etc etc etc.

It is being like a kid in a candy store, shot Glocks, Sigs, XDs, M&Ps.

Never buy a car without test drive or marry a girl before.................walk down her aisle before she takes you down the one at church :supergrin:

:50cal:

6. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Also, some places let you holster a gun or see how it feels/profiles against your body, you just have ask, heck I got a holster off the shelf and snapped it on with the gun at a store to see the fit and I bought it. Ask you never know, maybe they'll throw in a free mag pouch with the purchase of a new gun and holster or even a free hour on the range

7. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Glock 19 is what I recommend.

8. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Oops, the G19 is what I would recommend

9. gumbee

gumbee

What TSA says!

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

I agree shooting both would be the best choice. One advantage of the Glock is that there seem to be more Glock armorers than about any other type, should there be an issue. If shooting is not possible, my guess is that the Glock 19 may be the best choice. And I say that knowing that I prefer the Glock 26 to the Glock 19 abouit three to one. But I also have other handguns, bigger and smaller. For a "one size fits all" solution I concur with those that suggest the G19 is about the best.

11. AA#5

AA#5

Since I haven't heard of any quality/reliability issues with Springfield, that's the one I'd go for. I also like the design of their grip safety.

Glock has gone way downhill & I doubt they're willing to make the necessary changes to bring them back up to the "perfection" they used to be.

I say that while owning 6 older Glocks with over 14,000 rounds without a malfunction. OLDER Glocks. I'd never buy a new Glock.

12. barth

barth six barrels

or .40?

Only you can make that decision.
    Rent/Borrow both and make a choice.

fingers for a guy.

Only you can make that decision.
    Borrow from friends and try carrying around the house.
    Or get plastic guns if you don't have any options.

the Gen 4s?

I have a gen 3 G27 that rocks.
    Don't have any experience with gen 4 - sorry.

Some final thoughts.
    If you get a 40 you can always convert to 9mm with a conversion barrel and mags (and 357 sig too).
    Sub-compact guns (26/27) can run compact mags (19/23) with a x-grip type sleeve.
    Effectively extending the grip and capacity of the smaller gun.

13. Rcsteffen

Rcsteffen

As far as using it for home defense, I'd go with the compact with a rail in case you want to add a light, etc...I'm pretty fond of my G19.

14. Nutt51

Nutt51

I have a 17, 19, and a 26. I carry the 26 strictly as a
    CCW. It is a fine weapon, but 90% of the time, I find
    myself grabbing my 19, it carries well and just fits my
    hands so much better. I really like all three of my
    Glock 9's, but if I had to choose only one, it would be
    my 19. Good luck on your choice. Try to handle and shoot
    each gun you are considering if you can.

p.s. The 9mm loaded with today's bonded bullets and +P
    load is a fine HD round, and with fmj ammo is a lot cheaper
    to shoot and find ammo for than the .40. Just my opinion.

15. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

What TSA said!!! I would go 9mm no matter what brand you choose!! My advice along with what most people are going to tell you is buy a Glock 19! For one gun, they are unbeatable! If you can afford it by a Crossbreed SuperTuck deluxe holster to put it in!! They have a complete money back guarentee!

16. DannyII

DannyII

I always want to carry my 19, but I actually carry my 26 95% of the time. Primarily because the 26's shorter grip presses into my side less in the car. I carry my 19 if cover garment allows, or if the 26 has been hitting the nerve on my hip, as it sometimes does.

So, if carry is the primary reason, I say get the 26.

Of course, you should shoot them both first.

17. dango

dango

Do not shoot yourself or anyone else unless you (HAVE TO).

18. bac1023

bac1023

:agree:

19. RJHUB

RJHUB

Only one. G19. Good start anyway.
    If you are thinking about the 23/27 you will probably eventually get one of those or both, too.

G19 just covers all things well.

I usually carry G23, Gen2 and Gen4.

Gen3 or Gen4, whichever feels best to you.
    Go spend some time holding and shooting if possible.
    If not, I am sure you will be ok with either.

20. Glock40man

Glock40man

Another vote for the G19.