Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are in our golden years. We have started taking ballroom dance lessons from a very knowledgeable instructor. I've been carrying a glock sub compact in a cross breed IWB in the 4 o-clock position. The problem with this rig is the instructor touched the gun lightly a couple of times while demonstrating a move I was having difficulty with. Normally this doesn't happen in dance but she was trying to get me to move properly. Luckily she didn't ask questions. Also, I doubt she would approve of me carrying.

To remedy this issue, I'm going smaller; and I am going to an Urban Carry G3 which is carried lower and closer to my private parts which she will never get near. I also purchased a Sig 365-XL. Sadly, the G3 doesn't work well with red dots which I would like to have due to my old eyes not being what they use to be.

I would like input on the use of lasers that could be mounted on the 365 and/or other types of carry holsters that the instructor would not likely touch.

Thank You

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Greetings,

This is a question I here from time to time and I have to say (in my humble opinion) lasers, red dot and other optical devices on a CCW is a bit of over-kill and a general waste of time and money. Spend some money on training and practice, you will be much further ahead. Small pistols are convenient but do take some training and practice to be effective with them. There is a real technique to using a small snub nose or semi auto pistol. One of my carry options is the S&W 442 with a 1.875" barrel, extremely concealable but tough to be really accurate with. Takes lots of practice to know just how this revolver with shoot with the ammo I choose.

One other thought is in a real-life situation, you most likely with not have time to use that device. You might have just enough time to point & shoot. That’s where training with your CCW will come in. Now for a home defense pistol, a laser, red dot or powerful flash light would really come in handy.

I hope this helps.

·
Director of civil unrest
11,388 Posts
Greetings,

This is a question I here from time to time and I have to say (in my humble opinion) lasers, red dot and other optical devices on a CCW is a bit of over-kill and a general waste of time and money. Spend some money on training and practice, you will be much further ahead. Small pistols are convenient but do take some training and practice to be effective with them. There is a real technique to using a small snub nose or semi auto pistol. One of my carry options is the S&W 442 with a 1.875" barrel, extremely concealable but tough to be really accurate with. Takes lots of practice to know just how this revolver with shoot with the ammo I choose.

One other thought is in a real-life situation, you most likely with not have time to use that device. You might have just enough time to point & shoot. That’s where training with your CCW will come in. Now for a home defense pistol, a laser, red dot or powerful flash light would really come in handy.

I hope this helps.
+1

·
Millenium #3936
6,590 Posts
I accept there there are people who want to wear their guns on the beach, while surfing, skydiving.. etc. There simply comes a point where maybe.. just maybe, you dont wear a gun if you are concerned or bothered by the potential for its discovery.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
The wife and I are in our golden years. We have started taking ballroom dance lessons from a very knowledgeable instructor. I've been carrying a glock sub compact in a cross breed IWB in the 4 o-clock position. The problem with this rig is the instructor touched the gun lightly a couple of times while demonstrating a move I was having difficulty with ...
My wife and I was planning on dancing lessons before the COVID-19.

Due to numerous doctor appointments and most are anti-gun in California. I got a Seecamp .32 ACP that I pocket carry. Just a thought my friend :fred:

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
I personally would carry my Sig P232, Glock 26, or S&W 442 on my ankle.

Zero chance of accidental discovery.

I got married with my 442 in my pants pocket. It’s my go to discreet carry gun.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
The wife and I are in our golden years. We have started taking ballroom dance lessons from a very knowledgeable instructor. I've been carrying a glock sub compact in a cross breed IWB in the 4 o-clock position. The problem with this rig is the instructor touched the gun lightly a couple of times while demonstrating a move I was having difficulty with. Normally this doesn't happen in dance but she was trying to get me to move properly. Luckily she didn't ask questions. Also, I doubt she would approve of me carrying.

To remedy this issue, I'm going smaller; and I am going to an Urban Carry G3 which is carried lower and closer to my private parts which she will never get near. I also purchased a Sig 365-XL. Sadly, the G3 doesn't work well with red dots which I would like to have due to my old eyes not being what they use to be.

I would like input on the use of lasers that could be mounted on the 365 and/or other types of carry holsters that the instructor would not likely touch.

Thank You
If you’re a guy, try a belly band since the woman doesn’t often have hands on the guy’s belly (but the reverse doesn’t hold).

Probably the safest option if you must carry inside the studio is a pocket LCP and leave your larger setup locked in the car.

·
Come on man!!
17,509 Posts
If she isn't touching your genitals during the dance lessons you need to up your pimp game. I'm so pimptacular that women are always trying to touch my genitals, even when my wife is around. I've resorted to carrying a pointy stick to keep them at bay.

I highly recommend a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster when deep concealment is needed.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
I personally would carry my Sig P232, Glock 26, or S&W 442 on my ankle.

Zero chance of accidental discovery.

I got married with my 442 in my pants pocket. It’s my go to discreet carry gun.
Me, my Best Man and one of the Ushers (LEOs) were all armed. I was carrying a S&W Model 59. It was a long time ago!

Reactions: collim1

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Me, my Best Man and one of the Ushers (LEOs) were all armed. I was carrying a S&W Model 59. It was a long time ago!
I have only left my house unarmed 1 time since signing on.

I was headed to the hospital for a procedure in which I was going to be sedated. I felt like I walked out of the House buck naked.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,999 Posts
A snubnose revolver with laser grips carried in a Smartcarry should get you where you want to be.

That is what I used when I was selling cars and wearing a tucked in polo shirt with slacks.

Add a couple of speed strips and you are good to go.

Edit: I also wore that rig when jogging around the neighborhood for runs of six miles or less. On runs longer than six miles I downsized to a P3AT carried in a fanny pack.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
I also wore that rig when jogging around the neighborhood for runs of six miles or less. On runs longer than six miles I downsized to a P3AT carried in a fanny pack.
That’s hardcore. Bravo.

I used to run 15 miles per week. I carried a Kabar TDI clipped in my trunks. I never could find a way to go five miles with a gun on me comfortably.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all of the inputs. I will look into more training both dancing and shooting. I have plenty of practice ammo because I've been reloading for over 50 years and have acquired a large assortment of components. I would worry about an ankle holster. It would have to be stout if and when we practice some of the swing dances. Dancing is a lot of fun, and our instructors are former national champs. The best in the state if not the country. They have been in business for over 30 years and the neighborhood has gone down a whole lot in that 30 years. They are close to retiring themselves and good oak dance floors are too pricey to move to another location.

Thanks again for all of the help. You guys are great. I will be out of town for several weeks soon and will not be able to get back with you. Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts