Advice on buying my first HK?

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by StraightShooting90, Aug 18, 2019.

1. StraightShooting90

StraightShooting90

So, I've wanted to buy a USP for while now. mainly due to their legendary reliability. I would like a two tone model, I've never been a fan of all black guns. But the two tone models seem rarer than the normal ones, and thus, more expensive. I missed out on a full sized .45 stainless for $650. (https://web.archive.org/web/20190818214627/https://www.gunbroker.com/item/827081450) I'm rather peeved about that. I have several other guns I have been looking at. The first one I am heavily considering is a stainless USP 9 Compact. It comes a match weight, two mags, and the box/paperwork. He wants $1000 for it. Which I thought was expensive, but I this stainless USP 9 Compact just went for over 1000 on Gunbroker. https://web.archive.org/web/20190818224727/https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825573395
    and the match weight seems kind of expensive on it's own. Would this be a good buy for $1000?

The other things I am looking at are a stainless USP .45 compact for $750, and a full size HK45 Tactical (desert tan) for $730. The problem with those two is the low cpacity. I'd like at least 12 rounds if can manage it. For that reason I've also been considering an FNX45 tactical, that I can get brand new for around $850 brand new. I gotta admit, 15 rounds of .45 is rather appealing.

I also could get a USP Match for $1650, but that more than I'd really like to spend unless it's an amazing deal.

So yeah, there you go. I make a modest income, but I've been saving for a while to get something nice. I want that USP 9 compact, but I am afraid that maybe that Gunbroker auction just went way too high, and $1000 might be overspending.

2. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

My first HK was a 40cal stainless USP. I was pretty well hooked after that. The USP isn't for everyone and for some it just doesn't fit their hand well. There's quite a few good deals in a soft used market for all black and see if you like it, if you do keep your eyes out for a good deal on a stainless.
    Original Match guns go for premium these days.

Glockdude1 likes this.

3. Featherweight

Featherweight

Save your money for the magazines. They are proud of them!

4. Ogie

Ogie

I have a USPc45 in stainless and I really like it. I also have a HK45C that I like just as well if not better. I had a USP full size but the grip was a little too large for me. The compact is much better in that regard.

5. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

May I ask how you're going to use this firearm? That may help us to help you in zeroing in on which way to go.

6. bac1023

bac1023

I personally think it looks much better all black, but to each their own.

Good luck with your purchase. The USP is a great pistol.

7. doktor doom

doktor doom

What does everyone consider to be a fair price for a 1998 vintage USP 45? Never carried, shot some, mostly a safe queen.

porschedog likes this.
  8. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

I've seen them go for around $600-$650 with original factory items around here, in Michigan. Seen one at $540 a while back that I should have snagged but I just don't really need another HK.

9. A-Train

A-Train Member

I’d agree with this price assessment for most USP pistols in my area. I wouldn’t pay more than about $750 in any case as they can be found cheaper.

I’d strongly consider the HK45. Its a big gun but built like a tank. Same goes for the P30 variants. Based on the extensive testing done by Todd Green over at PistolTraining.com I would say they are every bit as tough as the USP line of pistols with much better ergonomics.

10. porschedog

porschedog

A guy at our range recently sold another member a USP 45 with two 12 round mags and a happy stick for $500. That seemed to be a good deal for a Nice gun

11. marc.

marc. MM1

To me, the USP feels like a 2x4.. the HK45 is super comfortable and matches my VP9 nicely. Just like any other gun though... get the one that feels right for you.

12. StainlessStan

StainlessStan

Just prepare yourself to have a new "addiction"!!

glock collector likes this.
  13. domino1

domino1

If you like the USP then I would recommend an Expert. They are around 1100 without the jet funnel and 18 round mags. You get the best trigger HK has and target sights. You also get a fitted barrel to the slide. This would be more of a range pistol than a carry pistol though. Take a look at an Expert if you can.

14. benben

benben

I just bought my .40 Custom Combat, now I’m wanting an Expert in any caliber! I still have a P30L on order but I believe I’d forget about it if an Expert was to pop up locally!

And BTW, the Jet Funnel is awesome!

chemboy and domino1 like this.
  15. DrewBone

DrewBone

SS90, all the prices you've mentioned are definately too high. Please remember that GunStroker is an auction site where the prices paid for an item isn't necessarily representitive of an item's actual worth, but is instead representitive of what someone was willing to pay during an auction war...which can end up equating to nearly twice what you'd normally expect to pay for the same item offered at a local pawnshop or gunstore.

Examples...of the 5 HK's shown below, four were purchased from two different pawn shops, with the USP 9mm on the bottom being the only example purchased from a gunstore, and that was the only one out of the 5 that cost me over $500, because it was in near NIB condition...
    20170423_120130.jpg
    The brothers '45...
    20170306_171107.jpg
    A 'couple years ago a slew of HK LE trade-ins arrived on the scene at very reasonable prices, so hit the brakes and have some patience to feel around a bit in your local, where a suitable example is sure to present itself to you at a much more affordable price than those you quoted.

:cheers:

rayzer007 likes this.
  16. James Dean

James Dean

If your range carries them for rentals try a few out. My favorite HK is the VP9sk. It fits my hand like a glove and is very comfortable to shoot.

17. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

The .45 Expert pops-up in the $899 range online from time to time. The 9mm versions seem to be more popular, therefore scarce, so the $1200 range is common for a base model. The JF version seems to run $125-200 more but prices vary wildly on them.

The rarest of them all is the .40 Expert and one of those has so far eluded me. I don’t believe HK even makes them any longer but I could easily be mistaken.

One bonus on the .45 Expert is, since it has a larger frame, it doesn’t need a Jet Funnel to be long enough for larger hands.

benben likes this.
  18. Aceman

Aceman

First of all - USP in Stainless is pure sex!!! Will regret not grabbing a USPv1 compact 9mm when I saw it.

That said - save your pennies. Buy the USP you want when you can afford it. You won't regret it.

NoJoy likes this.
  19. Aceman

Aceman

First of all - USP in Stainless is pure sex!!! Will regret not grabbing a USPv1 compact 9mm when I saw it.

That said - save your pennies. Buy the USP you want when you can afford it. You won't regret it.

Not gonna argue about the ergonomics, but honestly, I like the subsoil feeling and the aggressive grip. Don't get me wrong, VP's, P30's etc. feel AMAZING. Still - for flat out business purposes, USP is a favorite!

20. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Unless you have an HK91, mags are on the pricey side. Just bought a USP Expert in 45. Saving now to buy additional mags.

USP Expert 2A.jpg

USP Expert 1A.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    benben likes this.