Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· "The Sarge"
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on a basic, no frills M4 type AR with carry handle. At the most I will put a tac light on it. This rifle will not be shot a lot and will be another one for "if things get really bad". It must run and be trustworthy but top tier is not necessary.
With all the rifle makers out there and prices all over the place, what do you recommend? I thank you for your help. Bill

· Registered
77 Posts
Man there is so many brands out there now. I have a Anderson Mfg with a key mod free float rail, shoots just as smooth and good as any colt or other brand out there. Just find one that you like and buy it. Ive owned a bushmaster, it was really nice, and I had a DPMS, it was just as nice to. You ever thought of building your own? I'm planning on doing a build soon.

· "The Sarge"
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Pierce1984. I appreciate building an AR but that is not my style. I like to buy the complete gun out of the box and run it stock. I keep coming back to the Smith M&P. Any thoughts on those? Bill

· Registered
327 Posts
I have a Windham Weaponry and it is exactly what you want but there are many here with more experience than myself that may have other opinions as you'll find a lot of brand loyalty here. Windham is the "old" Bushmaster before the QC went down the toilet according to AR experts. Google them and their story, its impressive. They have a lifetime transferrable warranty and top notch quality in a basic, simple, and super reliable AR platform. I have the MPC but mine doesn't have the carry handle but instead a rear flip up sight by Diamondhead and flat top that I mounted an Eotech on. They do make other MPC (Modern Patrol Carbine) configurations that do include the carry handle/rear sight. It does have the triangle shaped front sight/gas block and for the most part is a milspec rifle. I recently was at a local gun shoot and was shooting this w/ just my holographic red dot and irons out to 350 yrds and was hitting man sized steel without a problem and I was using super cheap brass cased .223. That's not bad from a standard M4 rifle that has no changes out of the box. I paid around $850 but they are on sale regularly for less. Check out AR15.com for more info. Their industry section has a dedicated Windham Weaponry discussion group that can help answer some questions and give more accurate info than I can provide.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/489_Windham_Weaponry.html

· Registered
10,527 Posts
If you get a Colt LE6920 then you'll be able to get a premium price for it if you decide to sell it during another panic. It's a cheap, no frills rifle that won't give you problems.

· Registered
71 Posts
Why sell any of them-you went through the paperwork,so why undue what you have already completed. That "rainy day" might just come along and you'll wish you kept it.You already know all about you're existing piece which gives you knowledge you might not have if another AR becomes available down the road. YMMV

· Registered
10,527 Posts
Why sell any of them-you went through the paperwork,so why undue what you have already completed. That "rainy day" might just come along and you'll wish you kept it.You already know all about you're existing piece which gives you knowledge you might not have if another AR becomes available down the road. YMMV
Why sell any of them? Because if I can buy it for $1,000, and sell it for $3,000, and then buy 3 more when the panic is over, then I'm going to sell the one so I can buy 3 when the panic is over. I'd rather have 1 one less for a few months, and then 3 more after a few months, instead of just having the same amount, especially when someone else is paying for the new ones.

· Registered
6,534 Posts
If you get a Colt LE6920 then you'll be able to get a premium price for it if you decide to sell it during another panic. It's a cheap, no frills rifle that won't give you problems.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard of. Some people cannot get over the Colt thing. Do not get me wrong, I like my Colts, but they are not the only good AR on the market and there are better bangs for the buck than Colt.

As was suggested a few days ago, look into the PSA line-up. Their PSA Premium uppers and BCGs are well worth having and they will not break the bank. They often have complete lowers for excellent prices. You could get into a PSA AR for a lot less than a Colt in the same configuration and have an AR that is every bit as good as the Colt.

PSA 16" M4 Premium 5.56 NATO 1/7 - Without BCG or Charging Handle ($279.99) - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10306/category/4220/

Palmetto State Armory 5.56 Premium Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group ($79.99) - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2321/category/332/

PSA AR15/M16 7075 T6 Forged Mil-Spec Charging Handle ($22.99) - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/5410/category/336/

PSA AR-15 Complete Blem Lower - Classic Edition - No Magazine ($129.99) - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/14434/category/4282/

Rear sight/carrying handle:

DPMS Detachable Carry Handle with A2 Rear Sight AR-15 Aluminum Matte (sale price $85.99) - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/37...andle-with-a2-rear-sight-ar-15-aluminum-matte

This is about $599. Very basic and good quality for what the OP wants.

Reactions: darbam

· Registered
10,527 Posts
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard of. Some people cannot get over the Colt thing. Do not get me wrong, I like my Colts, but they are not the only good AR on the market and there are better bangs for the buck than Colt.
Then obviously you didn't pay attention during the last gun buying frenzy. People were selling used Colt LE6920s for $2k+, some new ones were even going for $3k at the very beginning of the panic.

I never said Colts were the only good AR on the market, or that there are better deals, I merely commented that an LE6920 will get you one of the best returns on your investment if you choose to sell it during a frenzy. The reason for that is that during a frenzy there will be many new buyers, with lots of money, who don't know much about guns. However, they've almost certainly heard of Colt, so if they see someone selling a Colt, they're way more likely to buy it, over someone selling something like a Daniel Defense, which is probably a company they've never heard of before and know absolutely nothing about.

Being able to buy a Colt for $1,000, and potentially sell it for 2-3 times my investment is why I picked one up, and why I'll pick up one or two more to keep in the box, and why I suggested the OP pick one up, since the OP was asking what people suggest they pick up.

· M62/76
14,816 Posts
Colt, Windham, Rock River, Spike's, etc. For what the average shooter does, they're basically all the same. I think of Del-Ton, PSA as being on the lower end but I have no first-hand experience with those and you'd likely do fine with either.

· Registered
6,534 Posts
Then obviously you didn't pay attention during the last gun buying frenzy. People were selling used Colt LE6920s for $2k+, some new ones were even going for $3k at the very beginning of the panic.

I never said Colts were the only good AR on the market, or that there are better deals, I merely commented that an LE6920 will get you one of the best returns on your investment if you choose to sell it during a frenzy. The reason for that is that during a frenzy there will be many new buyers, with lots of money, who don't know much about guns. However, they've almost certainly heard of Colt, so if they see someone selling a Colt, they're way more likely to buy it, over someone selling something like a Daniel Defense, which is probably a company they've never heard of before and know absolutely nothing about.

Being able to buy a Colt for $1,000, and potentially sell it for 2-3 times my investment is why I picked one up, and why I'll pick up one or two more to keep in the box, and why I suggested the OP pick one up, since the OP was asking what people suggest they pick up.
Oh, I paid attention. There were people buying ARs at prices , like you said, 2-3x what they cost originally. In the same token, a multitude of guys were taking full advantage of the situation and making a killing off of the people. I did sell two of my ARs (because I needed the money due to unemployment at the time) during that time to guys that were going inside to a gun show. I had already been in a saw what kind of gouging was going on. I sold my ARs for what I had in them and gave the buyers 100 rounds of ammo. In the price, they got a very nicely built AR, five magazines, and a soft case. I was helping guys buy something instead of trying to make a fast buck. I was happy and they were happy. That said, anyone who buys a Colt AR for the sole purpose of thinking what they can sell it for in another frenzy is not only a loathsome individual, but a fool as well. You can take any AR and sell it for 2-3x what was paid for it in a frenzy. The only person making out is the seller. I never buy any AR based on what I think I might be able to sell it for. That is what dealers and scalpers do. The OP wants something for a utilitarian purpose and does not want to sink a great deal on money into it, but he was something that will be dependable. He made no mention of selling it off during any upcoming gun buying frenzy. To me, the guys who take advantage of other people and try to make a fortune off of them by selling firearms at inflated prices during these little frenzies are not people I care to associate with. I like to help people with their firearm quandaries and I try to be a realist and lead them to what will work for THEM. I DO NOT recommend junk to anyone. Of course, what a person does is their own business. All I can do is try to lead them in the right direction in order to suit their immediate needs/wants.

· Registered
788 Posts
I built this one using mostly PSA premium parts (CFH barrel, upper, blem lower) and it was a fun exercise.

I think I ended up spending a little less than 700 on it. Since the OP does not want to build you might want to look for a Colt 6920 OEM 1 (no stocks or handguard ~ choose the ones you like) or the S&Ws that have the melonite 4150 barrels have some appeal as a basic SHTF type carbine.

Sionics http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/patrolzero.html makes a carbine with the correct gas port specs and a really solid parts kit. These also have a midlength gas system which is a little softer shooting.

The OP didn't say but if you plan to stock up on garbage Russki ammo (Tula, Wolf) then the cheaper ARs are the way to go. That ammo is weak and you'll need the ridiculously huge gas ports found in the cheaper ARs.

· Registered
10,527 Posts
Oh, I paid attention. There were people buying ARs at prices , like you said, 2-3x what they cost originally. In the same token, a multitude of guys were taking full advantage of the situation and making a killing off of the people. I did sell two of my ARs (because I needed the money due to unemployment at the time) during that time to guys that were going inside to a gun show. I had already been in a saw what kind of gouging was going on. I sold my ARs for what I had in them and gave the buyers 100 rounds of ammo. In the price, they got a very nicely built AR, five magazines, and a soft case. I was helping guys buy something instead of trying to make a fast buck. I was happy and they were happy. That said, anyone who buys a Colt AR for the sole purpose of thinking what they can sell it for in another frenzy is not only a loathsome individual, but a fool as well. You can take any AR and sell it for 2-3x what was paid for it in a frenzy. The only person making out is the seller. I never buy any AR based on what I think I might be able to sell it for. That is what dealers and scalpers do. The OP wants something for a utilitarian purpose and does not want to sink a great deal on money into it, but he was something that will be dependable. He made no mention of selling it off during any upcoming gun buying frenzy. To me, the guys who take advantage of other people and try to make a fortune off of them by selling firearms at inflated prices during these little frenzies are not people I care to associate with. I like to help people with their firearm quandaries and I try to be a realist and lead them to what will work for THEM. I DO NOT recommend junk to anyone. Of course, what a person does is their own business. All I can do is try to lead them in the right direction in order to suit their immediate needs/wants.
The OP merely requested for personal recommendations, and that's what I recommended, and gave the reason why I recommended it. If the OP doesn't like that, then they don't have to take my advice, no harm no foul.

As to people trying to buy firearms for 2-3x their worth, I just let people pay what they feel comfortable paying, and sell it to the highest bidder, simple as that. If they don't feel comfortable paying it, then they shouldn't pay it. That way everybody leaves happy, me with the most money I can get, and the other person with a firearm they feel comfortable paying what they think it's worth. It's simple economics, buy low sell high.

· NRA Benefactor
6,166 Posts
If you want a basic AR, S&W makes the inexpensive no frills AR Sport. No carry handle, but it has a picatinny rail and you can add one if you really one one. Adjustable stock, adjustable open sights, no dust cover and I think also no FA, but when tested it performed perfectly. Lists for around $750, but street price is around $550 at retailers from what I've seen.

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
I can only speak to the S&W Sport as I bought one over a year ago. The .223/5.56 bbl has had less than 50 rounds through it. However, I bought a Radical Firearms upper in 300 blackout and I've got around 1000 rounds through it with the original BGC. Therefore, my experience is primarily with the lower but it's definitely mil spec and feel I got a great deal for the $595 I paid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.