close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on 1 gun. Now I understand why.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Oct 23, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

Since I started in this sport, I have always listened to the advice given to me by master shooters and others that know the sport well. Guys and gals like Ron, Ed, Danny, bama and SARDG have always helped me but there was one piece of advice that I never listened to and I know (after a bad performance yesterday) I should have. Everyone that helps me on here as told me "shoot one gun (not a racegun) and become proficient with it before branching out into other guns and divisions". I get it finally, I have bought multiple Glocks with all sorts of modifications and "fancy" things done to them and for all the money and effort my improvement in Lexington was a big fat 0.
    So here's my plan, I am buying a Gen4 G34, I am going to shoot this pistol in USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, and whatever else I can find to use it in. I might even shoot it in bullseye competition just for kicks. I know now I need to becaome "one" with one stock gun before pressing on so thats what I am going to do. I figure if I shoot the same gun in all of these competitions and practice with it instead of the rest at least 80% of the time I should not only master that one pistol but also I will get used to using it under match pressure, which is another big problem in my game. Will I quit shooting my raceguns? No, but I will be focused on the G34 as my primary gun, my G17 "Nova" racegun as my UL gun and the rest will have to come later.
    New shooters reading this should listen, learn to use one gun extremely well before branching out into other divisions, And remember you cant buy a win so no matter how nice your gun is if you don't learn to use it properly you will never get better. Thanks to all of you that have helped me recently. Does anyone out there think this ISN"T the way to go???

(I know, I am long-winded)LOL

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Save yourself $100 + dollars and get a gen4 17 if your set on a gen 4. I shoot a gen 3 34, it was the first pistol I bought. Now i own a 17,34,26, and 21, with a 30 on the way. I used to think that i shot my 34 the best, but i have been using the 17 upper on my 34 lower, i can tell no difference in accuracy and very little in recoil impulse.

Also, when running the plate rack there is very little difference. In GSSF indoor, samething no difference in accuracy, usually between a 490 to 500 each time with both guns. As other members on here have said, the 17 might be slightly quicker to point. For me, again, I can tell no difference. G 34 advantage, its easier to make PF for USPSA with the longer barrel. I use my GSSF 34 for USPSA because my load easily makes PF. It will make PF out of a 17, but just barely. If I didn't already have a 34 i would use a 17 and just increase the load slightly. Just my .02. Last, before you buy one look at several examples of each, Not all glocks are created equal, some will have MUCH better triggers from the factory, don't know why exactly..... they just do.

3. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

I get what your saying. But I'm torn too. I have a gen4 27(ccw gun) and a gen3 35(home gun). and I don't get to go to many of the GSSF matches (but i found a local IDPA group). So when I do go to a GSSF match I want to shoot a bunch. So I shoot the 27 in subcompact and the 35 in competition. And I was just made a helluva offer on a new 22 slide i can mount on my 35 frame. so I could also shoot civilian with the 22.

I know I could shoot the 27 in civilian, not sure how competitive I could be, as opposed to the 22. So I don't know if I should pick up the 22 slide or just shoot what I have.

I think I'm getting addicted to collecting Glocks... yeah I guess I can be long winded too.

4. SARDG

SARDG

Many good GSSF shooters have been posting great times (even MatchMeister scores) with the subcompact Glocks, so shooting the 27 in AmCiv is something to think about.

Is the 22 slide, a Glock stock slide - internals and all?

5. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Yeah a complete 22 slide

6. SARDG

SARDG

I guess I meant; are the slide internals stock, or has someone been tinkering? :)

7. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

From what I have been told, it is a new stock slide, never been shot

8. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Another voice preaching to the choir. I find my expertise with one gun pays dividends with all the others. The key is getting rock solid with the fundementals and shooting "One Gun" is a great way to jumpstart the process.

9. kyglockshooter

kyglockshooter

I've been using a strategy of shooting a G17 and G34 in Guardian, Competition, Master Stock and Unlimited. I get to shoot each gun twice in a row come off the line and then shoot the other gun twice. I'm using Master Stock and Unlimited as my first gun hoping to make a good run in Guardian and Completion. I'm looking for as much real match shooting as possible.

So far I can put good numbers on plates (not Lexington) and Glock M but really suffer on Five to Glock. I spend a lot of time on 75 and 50 ft during practice just not making it show up on the important day.

If you are going to shoot one gun you can shoot 2 classes with the same gun to get more competitive shooting for your travel time.

10. mike g35

mike g35

You guys don't get me wrong, I will be shooting all the divisions I can but I want to focus on one "stock" gun and then of course one of my raceguns for UL. However that doesn't mean I don't want to shoot my other Glocks in the divisions they fit into. I tend to shoot my raceguns better than the "stock" Glocks and I spent alot of time developing my skills with them so I won't give that up but for the stock gun I plan to shoot seriously it needs to be able to be used in multiple disciplines effectively. I want that one gun that when I pick it up I know I can trust that I have put in enough time with it that nothing should go wrong. This was my second match and I haven't shot the same gun in a match yet, ridiculous. (the change from 40 back to 9 is based on speed and the lack of having to make major in USPSA production division, I still love my 40's but that switch from 9 to 40 for GSSF wasn't the best move)

11. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Best advice ever. There's nothing you can't do with the 17 that you can with a 34. The 17 can shoot AmCiv and Comp.

12. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

13. mike g35

mike g35

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I think I'm glad I'm poor. All I really shoot is my G17. I have a 26 for ccw but seldom shoot it. Have a 30sf for HM but don't shoot it much either. I think I'd consider giving those race guns a rest for a bit too. ONE GUN doesn't mean a g34 AND a race gun.

Those guns are nice but u said it yourself.... can't buy wins. Become a shooter, then dabble with that stuff.

15. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

True, but i wonder how many times the AmCiv or Guardian Divison has been won with a G26 or G27. Probably not very many. I know that the baby glocks can be shot just as well as the full frame guns. The Masters have proven this on several occasions. Im really fond of my G26, it has done very well for me in GSSF.

My point, I think it's easier for Amateur shooters to be competitive in AmCiv and Guardian with a full size gun, because they are shooting against competitors of similar skill that are more than likely using a full size gun.

16. mike g35

mike g35

Ron the plan is to just make sure to shoot the racegun enough to stay "in shape" with it. The G34 will be shot more often than anything else. Believe me, I know to shoot just the one gun, in my case it will be the 34, but the raceguns are a passion of mine so I don't want to lie and say I won't use them at all. They just won't be focused on for a while. I am going to stick with the plan.:wavey:

17. PM720

PM720

Mike,

I hear where you are coming from. I started out favoring my G21 but have been shifting to the G35 lately. However, I am planning on getting a 17 to shoot in AmCiv & Comp and then use my new G30SF in Sub & HM. I have been practicing with a LWD 9mm barrel in the G35. I shoot 100 rounds of 9mm and then 50 .40 just to stay on top of that. My thinking on the future plans are to only have the 2 guns for the 4 classes although your race guns are inspiring me to build an UL gun too. :supergrin: Anyway, I guess I was just trying to reinforce the advice of using your G17 for AmCiv & Comp and just get good with that gun. Or, since you have been favoring the .40 focus on your G22 and go the same route.

JMHO.

Scott

18. Davidoff

Davidoff

I am a poor college student. I have only one semi-auto centerfire handgun; a G17. I have been competing with that one pistol since March 2010. My GSSF time has gone from over 140 at my first match to 68 at my fourth this August. I made B class in USPSA Production division shooting that one gun in the same time span. I'd say a G17 certainly fits the bill for the one gun to dedicate some serious time to training on. The G34 is really nice, and I'll probably get one sometime, but my G17 certainly does the job for now.

19. HarveyatPC

HarveyatPC

Mike,

Spend your $$ on lessons. There are good shooting schools, such as Universal Shooting Academy in FL. They run about $400.00 for two days and you will need 2,000 rounds. Most school will cut year off self-training. Also check out Matt Burkett’s videos ( Vol 1-3, 4) and Saul Kirsch book, Perfect Practice.

You must be able to shoot “A’s” on demand at any distance - 5 to 25 yards. Once you achieve that you can trade accuracy for speed. Also stay with one pistol, you must tune in on the timing. Change calibers or pistol weights will change the timing/feel.

Good luck
    Harvey