close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by m2hmghb, Feb 23, 2006.

1. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Ok dell is going to refund the price of the 9100 laptop i have. My question is I would like a gaming computer, would it be better to buy a dell desktop or would it be better to have someone build a system for me? And is there a 3rd party tech support out there?

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The best solution is to find the parts at one vendor, and have a different tech build the PC.

This way you won't get burned on the parts; a shop can sell you expensive top-end parts and then put cheaper, less-powerful parts in the box. Most would never notice, and thus the motivation for these thefts.

How much are you budgeted for?

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

around 2000 or so

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

references available, and they're happy ones.

this one has at the moment 47 days uptime.. :)

i buy most stuff from newegg.com, and my computers work, and 2000$ is one HECK of a lot to spend.

if you can manage it, you're dripping money. best guess a good comp is going to run 1000 to 1500.

you can beat that, not counting the monitor. likely that's your range, though.

5. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I paid 2200 for this laptop, they should be refunding it all. The main reason I was thinking of a dell desktop is because of the 2 previous one's I have had and the 24/7 tech support, i dont care as much for the hardware support.

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Ok if i build it myself these are the specs I have, AMD Athalon 64 3800+ Venice core, 10,000 rpm hard drive(suggest a brand), eVGA 7800GT 256mb video card. Give me suggestions on the sound card, power supply, case, and ram brands.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Western Digital makes some good 10K SATA drives.

Good call on the proc and vid solution.

I would suggest a Thermaltake case (DOZENS of styles available), an Antec True or Neopower 480w or 550w PSU, a Turtle Beach sound card and Crucial or Corsair PC3500 RAM in matched trim--thus, if you want 2GB, buy one set of two 1024MB DIMMs, and if one gig will do, buy a set of 512's. Just make sure they are a tested pair and you'll get the most from them.

And don't forget the optical-skip the CD-RW drives; with their low prices a good Lite-On DVD+/-RW will do everything you need, then grab a 52x CD-ROM for $15 or $20 for Quik-Copy functionality, should you desire.

Tt cases have great functionality, are wonderful to work on, and breathe very well. So what if some folks think they look futuristic--I have sold hundreds of them with nary a complaint.

And yes, this is the place to come for competent PC assistance. Never thought that'd be included in the price of your Glock, didya?!

Good luck.

8. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

The worst part is I dont even like Glocks. They're usually the 1st I recomend trying but they never fit me.